So here’s the backstory...... Questions about going with an (almost) 3 year old.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I’ve been to Disney World many, many times. My 5 year old has been 6 times in her short little life. Her and I have done a couple mommy and me trips and we’ve had many successful trips. I love going. I love planning. I love watching our home videos from our trip.... however, with that said....

We went last August for 10 nights... I didn’t over plan, we had days off to just swim, but by day 8 we were ready to come home because my 21 month old was driving us all crazy. Ten nights was just too long for her. She was either confined to the stroller or if we let her out she would just take off running from us. It was exhausting and we didn’t even think it through that she would run from us constantly (I now know why some people use leashes for their kids - buts that’s another topic). She also didn’t fancy the pool either. She doesn’t hate the pool, but I think it was all just too much for her. Anyway, we are going this upcoming August for (probably) 7 nights. The baby will be almost 3 by then (3 in November), so my question for all you wonderful, knowledgeable Disney lovers is..... am I crazy to subject her to a long trip again? I know 1 year in a toddlers life can make a huge difference, but I don’t want to chase her constantly again. I think she’ll like the pool this year too. Just being a little bit older, I’m hoping will make a big difference....
So, I’m looking for advice and past experience as to what to expect with an almost 3 year old at Disney.

Side note: we went to the local aquarium yesterday and she was really good. Holding our hands (which she didn’t want to do last August in Disney) and staryed near us. In 3 hours time she really only ran from us like 3 times.... I’ve got 7 months to train her. Lol

aliceismad

When you went last time, did you plan for times (in parks or out) where she could just play? Not swim, but play? Several of the Disney resorts have playgrounds for little ones, or areas with sand for sand castles, and some of the parks have good areas for little ones to play. When we took my kiddo that age, she especially LOVED the Boneyard at AK. Maybe letting your kiddo have some "freedom time" would keep her more content to stay with you when she needs to? I don't have experience with that many nights with a little one, but just an idea.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
When you went last time, did you plan for times (in parks or out) where she could just play? Not swim, but play? Several of the Disney resorts have playgrounds for little ones, or areas with sand for sand castles, and some of the parks have good areas for little ones to play. When we took my kiddo that age, she especially LOVED the Boneyard at AK. Maybe letting your kiddo have some "freedom time" would keep her more content to stay with you when she needs to? I don't have experience with that many nights with a little one, but just an idea.

When I think about your questions, it makes total sense to me right now that I should have allowed some time for her to play... I guess at the time it was just so hot to think about letting her play on the playground. She LOVED the dumbo indoor playground in the queue... I guess I need to allow more play time for her this time around. Thanks for the great advice!

aliceismad

Happy to help!

Maybe the Casey Jr. area in MK help in the heat? Tom Sawyer Island has a lot of shade. (I've never been in August, so I don't have much advice for the heat!) I'd also look at what hotels make a fun splash pad. My kiddo prefers splash pads to pools most of the time. :)

It's so hard for the little ones to stay focused in a place with so many distractions!

Andrew M

My 2yr old is the same way, she just wants to run everywhere when she's not strapped down, but atleast she loves the pool and is perfectly happy spending all day in the water. She was fine in the stroller the previous two trips at 14 & 18 months, but I am worried about her being able to stay in the stroller as long as we did when she was younger. But she does enjoy the rides she can go on and the characters, so hopefully it wont be too bad.

Maybe a shorter trip would help? I know dragging them on a plane to Disney is half the battle, so my initial thought is staying as long as possible to make the hell that is airline travel with 3 kids under 6 worth it. But, I have noticed that after about a week, between running around and not sleeping in their own beds, that they just want to go home.

jaklgreen

3 year old kids are runners! How does your child do in the stroller now? Every age has it's challenges(just wait till she hits 14 ) LOL I would ask yourself if YOU are up for a trip with her.

I just returned with our almost 3 year old. We planned for down time and returned to the room for naps daily. Still, she seemed more than ready to be done. We did six nights and were in the parks at least some of each day. In our case, I think it was just too stimulating. She did have a lot of fun, but doing it over, I would only do 3 park days.

buseegal

I’ve been to Disney World many, many times. My 5 year old has been 6 times in her short little life. Her and I have done a couple mommy and me trips and we’ve had many successful trips. I love going. I love planning. I love watching our home videos from our trip.... however, with that said....

We went last August for 10 nights... I didn’t over plan, we had days off to just swim, but by day 8 we were ready to come home because my 21 month old was driving us all crazy. Ten nights was just too long for her. She was either confined to the stroller or if we let her out she would just take off running from us. It was exhausting and we didn’t even think it through that she would run from us constantly (I now know why some people use leashes for their kids - buts that’s another topic). She also didn’t fancy the pool either. She doesn’t hate the pool, but I think it was all just too much for her. Anyway, we are going this upcoming August for (probably) 7 nights. The baby will be almost 3 by then (3 in November), so my question for all you wonderful, knowledgeable Disney lovers is..... am I crazy to subject her to a long trip again? I know 1 year in a toddlers life can make a huge difference, but I don’t want to chase her constantly again. I think she’ll like the pool this year too. Just being a little bit older, I’m hoping will make a big difference....
So, I’m looking for advice and past experience as to what to expect with an almost 3 year old at Disney.

Side note: we went to the local aquarium yesterday and she was really good. Holding our hands (which she didn’t want to do last August in Disney) and staryed near us. In 3 hours time she really only ran from us like 3 times.... I’ve got 7 months to train her. Lol
as others have said maybe allow her time to run and play not just pool time. one of the things I like about the campground are the "city park type" playgrounds where the grandkids could run and climb and yes we can only do summer trips because of court order for one grandson long story short. the boys always wanted time there each day

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
as others have said maybe allow her time to run and play not just pool time. one of the things I like about the campground are the "city park type" playgrounds where the grandkids could run and climb and yes we can only do summer trips because of court order for one grandson long story short. the boys always wanted time there each day

Thanks for the info and advice. We stay at the Swan and Dolphin and the playground is always HOTTTTTT so we stay off of it. I think this summer will be better because she will be older. I just keep telling myself that... It definitely can't be worse than last summer. We also know what to expect too, so that will be good. Thanks again for your input!

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I just returned with our almost 3 year old. We planned for down time and returned to the room for naps daily. Still, she seemed more than ready to be done. We did six nights and were in the parks at least some of each day. In our case, I think it was just too stimulating. She did have a lot of fun, but doing it over, I would only do 3 park days.

Did she enjoy the pool? I am hoping that she will be in the "puddlejumper" this summer and enjoy the pool more too.

I'mwatchinguWizowski

We went at least 3 or 4 times when my youngest was between 2-3 for a minimum of 9 days each time. I think just letting them out and play in certain areas helps a ton. I remember standing outside of the little house in front of the Pooh ride letting him walk in and out, the boneyard in AK and just walking through the ques to get some energy out.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
We went at least 3 or 4 times when my youngest was between 2-3 for a minimum of 9 days each time. I think just letting them out and play in certain areas helps a ton. I remember standing outside of the little house in front of the Pooh ride letting him walk in and out, the boneyard in AK and just walking through the ques to get some energy out.
That’s definitely the plan this time around. She’s getting much better about not running away and responding when I call her name... so I can definitely see us letting her out way more often this summer without having a runaway lol

winstongator

When I’ve gone with kids that age that wanted to run (my younger one rode my shoulders the 2 day trip we took when she was 3) I look for the areas that allow some running but with limited entry/exit points. As others said Dumbo queue, Tom sawyers island (my daughters now love when we play hide and seek there), the Epcot play areas at flower and garden (I need to try the wreck it Ralph playground), and the boneyard at AK. Friends really miss the honey I shrunk the kids play area, but we never got to that with my kids. Does DHS have a dedicated play area? There’s a grassy area by the boardwalk that is good to play at, and similar ones at other hotels. I’d say let them run, get tired, then let them ride in the stroller hopefully napping a little.

oliviosis

We went with our son at 22 months and then again one month before his 3rd birthday so, basically the exact same timing you guys will have. We had a much better trip this time. He was actually fine being in the stroller most of the time this time and when he wanted to walk he held our hand or the stroller and a few times, we let him walk next to us and he didn't run off at all. It helped that he could ride most everything this time, with the exception of the big roller coasters and he also had a great time on the rides he rode the first time because this time he sort of "got it". We booked a hotel with a splash pad because he loves the splash pads but not the pool so much. He also went to the playground during our mid-day breaks. One big difference is that we went this time last year. We're from Texas so we know the heat of August well and I know my kids behavior is much different when they're hot and sweaty most of the day.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
When I’ve gone with kids that age that wanted to run (my younger one rode my shoulders the 2 day trip we took when she was 3) I look for the areas that allow some running but with limited entry/exit points. As others said Dumbo queue, Tom sawyers island (my daughters now love when we play hide and seek there), the Epcot play areas at flower and garden (I need to try the wreck it Ralph playground), and the boneyard at AK. Friends really miss the honey I shrunk the kids play area, but we never got to that with my kids. Does DHS have a dedicated play area? There’s a grassy area by the boardwalk that is good to play at, and similar ones at other hotels. I’d say let them run, get tired, then let them ride in the stroller hopefully napping a little.
I think right now that there isn’t a play area at DHS. I’m definitely all about finding spots for her to run around. Thanks for the info.

Jenny English

Well we just came back from a two day trip from Disney with our daughter(she will be 3 in Aug) and it was a completely different trip for us. We go all the time and she loves it. Yes it is exhausting trying to keep her will us but she did do better and it was so hot she preferred to be in the stroller with a stroller fan then walking on hot pavement(you can feel the heat coming off it). the only thing different for us is she was scared of every ride,...small world, peter pan, nemo and friends, littler mermaid. She cried in all of them. I stopped taking her on them and stayed out when everyone else went of rides because I couldn't have her cry anymore. I hope it is just a phase. Try going into large air conditioned areas that are usually empty to just let her run around. Our favorite is reflections of china in epcot or the bathroom area behind the coco cola store. Hollywood studios has great indoor meet and greet areas that also have movie memorable and everyone is usually inline to see characters to the other area is not crowded. I would also recommend noise canceling headphone for fireworks. My daughter has always been scared of them.

Dreaming of Disney World

The key is to build in lots of time for the toddler to move around on her own. On our last trip we would take our kids to the play areas in each park several times a day. We'd even take them again if they asked. Young kids need freedom to run around. Some play areas that I haven't seen mentioned are a small one in Epcot in the building with the Finding Nemo ride, and another small one by Splash Mountain. I'd also suggest playing at the playground at your resort. Go in the morning or evening if the playground is hot. I also think it will be better this time since your child will be older.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Thanks for your positive responses... we’re booked for August 7-14 and I can’t wait. I have a feeling she’s going to great this time around.... she keeps telling me she wants to go on IASW so I’m hoping she’s not scared of the rides.

juniorthomas

In my experience, the biggest assist while WDW-ing with toddlers is avoiding strict scheduling. I've gone on trips where I have everything mapped out and I've gone on trips where we did whatever felt right in that moment. In my experience, children - and pregnant wives - seem to enjoy the latter. (My wife reminds me of this frequently....)

Don't be afraid to change things up and be spontaneous based on how your group feels and how the park is on the days you're there. Take advantage of Disney Springs and your resort too! My DD had just as much fun at the hotel arcade and the pool and the carousel at Disney Springs as she did in the Parks. And if your DD still isn't fond of swimming, they often screen movies and they have games around the pools too. (When you have a moment, reach out to the resort concierge to see what's up when you'll be there.)

Another thing you could try - and perhaps a partial contradiction to what I suggested above - would be to go through park maps with her and ask her to pick some rides and attractions that she'd like to see. She may remember some things she went on, and she may identify something new that she'd like to go on. When you get there, since she played a role in what you'll be doing on that given day, it may give her a focus that would make her less likely to run off. You can run off together to the rides she's picked out.

No matter what, I hope you'll both have a wonderful time when you visit!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom