So about those "Souvenir Mugs" at World Showcase...

FettFan

Original Poster
Don't get me wrong. They are fine mugs, and I'm glad that Disney has something for sale that is actually made here in the USA.
mugs.jpg

I've got one from Le Cellier. I like it. It's how I drink my Abita Amber.

However....why polystyrene? Like I said, fine mugs and all....if I were getting them printed for a high school reunion or wedding reception or something. You kind of expect a bit more when you go to the most Magical Place on Earth.

Surely they could spend an extra dollar or two and get actual glass mugs, right? Heck, I'm sure people would be a bit more willing to purchase beer in a souvenir mug if the mug were going to be something really memorable.

Best part is the poly mugs hold 22 oz. while the glass ones only hold 17. Sell it at the same price to make up the difference.

And glass is also more eco-friendly than poly, so there's that.

I mean heck, Mickey D's once did a whole line of Disney tumblers made of glass. Surely Epcot has more class than a burger joint with a clown mascot, right?

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
As long as we're on the subject of souvineer mugs, I adore the way they sell the same two souvineer mugs at MK just with different stickers on 'em. And they're so durable too!

epcotisbest

Don't get me wrong. They are fine mugs, and I'm glad that Disney has something for sale that is actually made here in the USA.
mugs.jpg

I've got one from Le Cellier. I like it. It's how I drink my Abita Amber.

However....why polystyrene? Like I said, fine mugs and all....if I were getting them printed for a high school reunion or wedding reception or something. You kind of expect a bit more when you go to the most Magical Place on Earth.

Surely they could spend an extra dollar or two and get actual glass mugs, right? Heck, I'm sure people would be a bit more willing to purchase beer in a souvenir mug if the mug were going to be something really memorable.

Best part is the poly mugs hold 22 oz. while the glass ones only hold 17. Sell it at the same price to make up the difference.

And glass is also more eco-friendly than poly, so there's that.

I mean heck, Mickey D's once did a whole line of Disney tumblers made of glass. Surely Epcot has more class than a burger joint with a clown mascot, right?
Simply safety I would guess. Tigger bounces, poly bounces, glass, not so much.

Last edited:

IceGator

Woah, wait a minute.....I have only ever ran into these in Germany. I had no idea some of the other countries (all?) have them too. Looks like I need to step up my drinking around the world.

FWIW, I don't mind the poly. Glass would be a better souvenir but at least I don't have to worry about the poly breaking on the trip home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom