Trip Report Snowbirding at The Most Magical Place on Earth

My wife and I have found out that we love to be away from the cold in our hometown of Louisville KY. We bought our condo (which is a little over 2 miles from the entrance to AK) in 2016 and started this annual pilgrimage the year after the COVID shutdown. We usually come the second week of January and stay until the second week of April. We usually make it to a park at least 5 times a week, mostly depending on the weather.

We are a retired couple, I’m 66 and my wife is 71. I’ve been a lurker on the forum for years, thought it was about time that I shared our experiences. I’m the Disney enthusiast having made my first trip to Disney World in 1972 when I was 14 years old. In turn we made our daughter a Disney nut, she married a Disney nut and now the two grandkids are Disney nuts too! My wife had no choice and now she has drunk the kool-ade and joined us.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
big bang amy GIF by Channel 9

excited no way GIF by Russell Brunson

pkkurz

Original Poster
I’m the roller coaster junkie, my wife not so much. Most mornings I got a GoG VQ at 7am, a couple of times it was at 1pm and a couple of days I didn’t get one at all. My right leg is amputated below the knee, so I must use a ECV. I have to say that GoG is the most accessible ride at WDW. I can ride my scooter right up to the load area and then take a few steps to enter the ride vehicle. Unlike TRON or RnR where you have to use a manual wheelchair to get to the load area. RnR used to be my favorite ride, however GoG has taken over the top spot. I would say that I’ve got “September“ a majority of the times.
IMG_0509.jpeg

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I’m the roller coaster junkie, my wife not so much. Most mornings I got a GoG VQ at 7am, a couple of times it was at 1pm and a couple of days I didn’t get one at all. My right leg is amputated below the knee, so I must use a ECV. I have to say that GoG is the most accessible ride at WDW. I can ride my scooter right up to the load area and then take a few steps to enter the ride vehicle. Unlike TRON or RnR where you have to use a manual wheelchair to get to the load area. RnR used to be my favorite ride, however GoG has taken over the top spot. I would say that I’ve got “September“ a majority of the times.View attachment 780226

That looks like a September picture 😉

pkkurz

Original Poster
I am following!! I am going to convince my husband of this when he retires! Genius! Loving the unique perspective 👌
It was always my dream to move to Disney after I retired and drive a resort bus. However, with my health issues that was no longer possible, so we decided to buy a condo after retirement and stay as often as possible. We avoid the summer months as I can no longer tolerate the heat.

pkkurz

Original Poster
Our typical day at Epcot would consist of a ride on Remy and Soaring (my wife’s favorite) and 2 maybe 3 trips around world showcase. Most days we would have a late lunch/early dinner at either Connections or Regal Eagle. Sometimes grab something from one of the food booths. We were disappointed at the selections during FARTS. We love all of the festivals but, flower and garden is the top of the list for us.
IMG_0553.jpeg
IMG_0546.jpeg
IMG_4121.jpeg
IMG_4122.jpeg

pkkurz

Original Poster
We were able to grab a last minute reservation to Space 220 Lounge. It was a very unique experience. The food was great and the service was excellent. Thankfully we could order off the a la carte menu, the prix fixe would be too much food. We would do it again, however it is on the pricey side.
IMG_5882.jpeg
IMG_5884.jpeg
IMG_5891.jpeg
IMG_5890.jpeg
IMG_5888.jpeg

Last edited:

pkkurz

Original Poster
Our Christmas gift to each other last year (we tend to do “experiences” instead of “things”) was tickets to Drawn To Life Cirque Do Soleil at Disney Springs. We attended a 5pm show in late January. The show is phenomena. If you have never attended, make plans to go.
IMG_4023.jpeg

IMG_4027.jpeg
IMG_4028.jpeg
IMG_4036.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4023.jpeg
    IMG_4023.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4027.jpeg
    IMG_4027.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4028.jpeg
    IMG_4028.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4036.jpeg
    IMG_4036.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 13

pkkurz

Original Poster
I’m Let’s move on to MK, shall we? Our typical day at MK almost always includes a visit with the Happy Haunts, a ride on the people mover, CoP, the MPB and Mickey’s Philharmagic. On occasion we would ride Jungle Cruise, Pirates (hate that I have to be pushed in a manual wheelchair) and Big Thunder. For food we would typically mobile order from Pecos Bills or Cosmic Ray’s. We love to people watch and MK is perfect for that. We also like to ride the Monorail and walk (me on my scooter and my wife getting her steps in) the path to the Grand Floridian. Can’t wait until they get the Poly DVC monstrosity finished and the walkway from GF to the poly reopened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom