Snow White reopens (with photos)

Lokheed

Original Poster
Snow White's Scary Adventures reopened yesterday after being closed for several weeks to install a new control system. Needless to say, my son was overjoyed (see my previous posts for the explanation why). I took several photos of the changes, which I'll link to here. Bill, you are welcome to grab these images, resize them, and post them however you like.

<a href="http://www.jamesaxler.com/images/swsa/CIMG0001.jpg">This first picture</a> shows how the exit area has changed. Where it used to be that the entire area along the mine cart track was open, now the short wall panels you see run the entire course of the track in the loading and unloading areas. There is one open spot for a single cart to unload from, and then another open spot for a single cart to load. It used to be that two carts could be unloaded at one time, but that is nolonger possible. Out of the three times I went around the ride yesterday, twice the carts were backed up inside the ride all the way back to the witch toppling the boulder. I expect that part of the backups were just due to the CMs not being used to the new rhythm of the ride yet.

<a href="http://www.jamesaxler.com/images/swsa/CIMG0004.jpg">This picture</a> shows the new unloading panel, located roughly where the garbage can in the loading area used to sit. At least during the time that I was watching the ride it appeared that the CM in charge of this panel is responsible for sending the empty mine carts forward once they are unloaded, and also for loading the empty mine carts once they move forward. That's part of the rhythm I was referring to, where a single CM needs to go back and forth between directing guests as to which numbered slot to queue in for the cart loading and then checking the unloaded carts to be sure they are clear and then sending them forward. If the CM gets caught up dealing with a guest for any reason, the mine carts start backing up in the ride until the CM can get back to the panel and start them moving again.

<a href="http://www.jamesaxler.com/images/swsa/CIMG0006.jpg">This picture</a> shows the new main control panel. Where the old panel used to be located on the inside of the tracks, the new panel has moved to the loading side of the tracks so the operator can positively see whether all of the guests are fully inside the carts as they are loading. I assume from the small computer monitor included in the panel that it also monitors the entire ride path. Where the old panel used to be there is now just a tree stump.

They have also resurfaced the floor of the loading area, and <a href="http://www.jamesaxler.com/images/swsa/CIMG0007.jpg">This picture</a> shows how the loading queues have been given brand new number inlays stylized to look like magic mirrors. That was a very nice improvement. The other change in the loading area is that the entire last dogleg before the loading zone has been removed since the new unloading panel is located in that area. Basically once you pass through the turnstile you are about eight feet away from the front of the line instead of having to pass the pillar and then dogleg back.

There were no significant changes to the interior of the ride. I noticed quite a bit of touch up work in the paint, particularly as you pass through the friendly forest. The white eyes of the animals peering out from the shadows now really pop, where before they had been more muted into the background. I also noticed that magic mirror itself seemed much brighter, I suspect they replaced the lamp on the projector. The sound levels passing through the forest seemed much louder than before, but that may just be a first day adjustment thing. You could barely hear the witch over the din of the "spooky" noises coming from the forest.

Other than that, the ride is exactly the same as it was before the rehab. My son had a big dopey grin on his face the whole time.

Lokheed

Original Poster
Oops, I said Bill when I meant Steve. Getting my different boards muddled up in my head. Goes to show what happens when you ride SWSA too much just to make your son happy...

Steve, I have larger versions of the pictures if you want them.

General Grizz

Funny you say that, Bill, JII went under refurbishment just before it closed. But I can't see why they'd do all this when a plan calls for it to close.

Question: Does the witch pop out in the forest scene (on the boat)? There was a while where she was working, got stuck on and off regularly, but last I rode it, it was functioning again.

General Grizz

Originally posted by Bill
When was the last you rode it? In Jan it wasn't working...

Figures. EriK reports that it's consistently breaking after it's "fixed."

I rode it in October, if I remember correctly.

There were a few years it just wasn't working at all. . . probably after 1999.

Lokheed

Original Poster
The witch has been consistently working for the past several months, but on two out of my three times through it yesterday she did not come out. I also noticed that between my first and second rides a whole cart load of CM's went through, including a manager and a maintenance guy. The doors from the witch's cauldron into the woodsman and the forest were also stuck open.

Bill

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Lokheed
Snow White's Scary Adventures reopened yesterday after being closed for several weeks to install a new control system. Needless to say, my son was overjoyed (see my previous posts for the explanation why). I took several photos of the changes, which I'll link to here. Bill, you are welcome to grab these images, resize them, and post them however you like.

Thanks for the images! :) They'll be on my destinations site when it opens next month. :)

JesusJuice

Account Suspended
Originally posted by General Grizz
Looks almost like Ellen DeGeneres now that I look at her.
Yeah if Ellen was hot then yes. What is up w/ that guy in the picture!? He looks like he's going psycho or something....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom