Snakes at Saratoga Springs

dmperry134

I just thought I would ask to see whether any you guys had seen any snakes at any of the resorts. Whilst we were staying at Saratoga last year (october) I saw a dark brown snake slithering across the road near Congress Park towards the lake opposite. As we are from the UK and we never see any, I thought I would pop into Bell services to find out what kind of snake it was and whether it was venemous. I was informed that it was a rat snake and there are loads in and around the bushes and there was also a small alligator in the large lake that has the bridge going across it. I asked why we were never informed of this on arrival or there should be some signs, especially as young children run around on the grass. They just said that there was a sign to say there was a fine of $500 if you feed the alligator, but I never saw one.

I realise that Disney was built on a swamp but I am somewhat surprised that there are no signs warning of the dangers.

Regards
Dave
:veryconfu:veryconfu:veryconfu

Laura

Premium Member
You really need a sign to warn you that wild animals live in the outdoors? It's just common sense. It's a nonvenemous snake so I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
C'mon... This is Florida... the sub tropics... when you say Florida, you say snakes and gators... :lookaroun

and Lizards!

GreenAnoleWHLI_Ap4RL.jpg

Upvote 0

dmperry134

Original Poster
Snakes in Saratoga

Hi Laura,

But this snake was less that 50 yards from the building, I was also told by one of the cleaners that thesere were a couple of larger snakes near the quiet pool opposite Downtown Disney. you may be use to snakes but a lot of people would freak out. I certainly would if it came towards me, don't forget in the UK we only have 1 venemous snake the adder/viper and there are only a handful of bites a year across the whole of the UK and they don't populate close to buildings.

Rgds
Dave

Upvote 0

photoflight

I was informed that it was a rat snake and there are loads in and around the bushes and there was also a small alligator in the large lake that has the bridge going across it.

I know you're a visitor from the UK but... honestly, what you've described is Florida in general. Snakes are everywhere. It's unusual to find a dangerous one, but they're out there. I've had rat snakes and black racers hang out around my doors of the house - a big racer even snuck in when I opened the door one night. Took forever to catch the sucker.

As far as alligators... they remove them from people's property daily. It's a big business. You might not see one in your local pond for years, then suddenly a couple pop up. Disney shouldn't be any exception.

Although they're population might be pretty thin in the developed areas of WDW, Florida (including some developed areas of Orlando) has a ton of fox, wild boar, deer, bobcats, panthers, bears, big turtles, lizards, armadillo, racoon and other animals - many of the mammals are quite prone to rabies.

Upvote 0

dismedic

It is Florida they had been here long before the mouse and will be long after. Get use to it when in Florida, If you are concerned for you and your families safety stay off property in the urban sprawl but then again it not unusual to see snakes and such even in the concrete jungle :hammer:

Upvote 0

TwoTigersMom

Dave, I'm sure it's hard for you to comprehend how common place these critters are here. My son was bit by a copperhead this past summer. My cousin, who lives in Germany, freaked out when she found out about it. There are 6 venomous species of snakes that live in Alabama, I'm not sure how many but probably a couple more that live in Florida. I can not even begin to figure out how many non venomous snakes live around here. Last year, south east America had one of it's dryest summers in years. The snakes were out in full force looking for water. Reptiles are a fact of life in Florida, just be on the look out while walking around the resorts. Several venomous snakes look very similar to some non venomous ones so it's best just to remove yourself from the situation as fast as possible. Remember, also, the smaller the snake, the more dangerous their bite can be.

Upvote 0

photoflight

Hi Laura,
... you may be use to snakes but a lot of people would freak out. I certainly would if it came towards me...

Another thought, just FYI - generally speaking, snakes are very happy to turn and run away from people. Some varieties will sit still until you get close, others are pretty shy and get away ASAP. I don't like the things, but there are thousands of them around here and there's not much that can be done about it.

Just for general information, Florida's Fish & Wildlife Commission's website has a good page on snakes here. On the left side of the page they have links to pages that talk about many of the other critters that run around the state.

I haven't seen this on WDW property specifically, but you also need to be very aware of the different bugs that are out there...including fire ants. WDW might have done a good job keeping them away but if your kids are running through the grass in Florida and kick into some fire ants, they'll wish they hadn't. Those suckers are really nasty.

Upvote 0

jt04

Yes fire ants are much more dangerous than snakes. You will not encounter venomous snakes at WDW unless you go swimming in a swamp or trudging through undeveloped woodlands. I don't think you would be tempted to do that though.

Upvote 0

TwoTigersMom

Yes fire ants are much more dangerous than snakes. You will not encounter venomous snakes at WDW unless you go swimming in a swamp or trudging through undeveloped woodlands. I don't think you would be tempted to do that though.

Unfortunately, if we have another summer like 2007 this statement may not be true. Snakes looking for water, don't care how populated an area is. We live in a rural area, but the snake that bit my son was 20 feet from our house, near his swing set. My mother lives in town and has seen venomous snakes in her neighborhood. There were several articles on our local paper last year about people finding various venomous snakes in their front yards.

You're less likely to find them at your resort, but the possibility is there.

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
Hi Laura,

But this snake was less that 50 yards from the building, I was also told by one of the cleaners that thesere were a couple of larger snakes near the quiet pool opposite Downtown Disney. you may be use to snakes but a lot of people would freak out. I certainly would if it came towards me, don't forget in the UK we only have 1 venemous snake the adder/viper and there are only a handful of bites a year across the whole of the UK and they don't populate close to buildings.

Rgds
Dave

Dave,

I really wouldn't worry about it. There really isn't any reason to warn the public about alligators and snakes in Florida. First of all, it's common sense that they're there. Second of all, they're not gonna go after you unless you are provoking them and being an idiot. No different than bees or spiders.

I've been bit by a non-venomous snake before (because I tried to pick it up - I was a kid). It hurt for a minute, but otherwise was not a big deal.

Upvote 0

jt04

Unfortunately, if we have another summer like 2007 this statement may not be true. Snakes looking for water, don't care how populated an area is. We live in a rural area, but the snake that bit my son was 20 feet from our house, near his swing set. My mother lives in town and has seen venomous snakes in her neighborhood. There were several articles on our local paper last year about people finding various venomous snakes in their front yards.

You're less likely to find them at your resort, but the possibility is there.

Ummmm, no disrespect but WDW is not Alabama. The areas with people at WDW will not attract venomous snakes. Period. It's just way too busy. Also, the way WDW is constructed they never run out of water. There are retention ponds and canals everywhere for flood control. You are being irresponsibly alarmist. :hammer:

Upvote 0

TwoTigersMom

Ummmm, no disrespect but WDW is not Alabama. The areas with people at WDW will not attract venomous snakes. Period. It's just way too busy. Also, the way WDW is constructed they never run out of water. There are retention ponds and canals everywhere for flood control. You are being irresponsibly alarmist. :hammer:

Granted you may not find venomous snakes heavily spopulated places like the parks, they could very well be found in areas that aren't as populated such as walking trails and areas around the resorts themselves. I do not feel I am being an alarmist at all. I think it's rude of you to suggest as such. As for someone being "irresponsible" saying that someone would NOT come acorss a venomous snake in the WDW area other than in the swamps or undeveloped area is. You can not say with certainty that a venomous snake won't be found elsewhere. No one can say that. I am not trying to "alarm" anyone. I am saying that there is a possibility and you should remove yourself from the situation if you find yourself in it. :wave:

Upvote 0

jt04

Granted you may not find venomous snakes heavily spopulated places like the parks, they could very well be found in areas that aren't as populated such as walking trails and areas around the resorts themselves. I do not feel I am being an alarmist at all. I think it's rude of you to suggest as such. As for someone being "irresponsible" saying that someone would NOT come acorss a venomous snake in the WDW area other than in the swamps or undeveloped area is. You can not say with certainty that a venomous snake won't be found elsewhere. No one can say that. I am not trying to "alarm" anyone. I am saying that there is a possibility and you should remove yourself from the situation if you find yourself in it. :wave:

You can't say you won't be hit by a meteorite either but I am not rushing out to buy a hard hat right away!

Fire ants however are to be avoided in central Florida at all costs. I am pretty sure they get rid of them in WDW though.

Upvote 0

maryszhi

thank god i have never seen any at disney...if i would have i would have ran far far away....i cant help it i strongly dislike bugs and any other type of scary animal.....i am a girly girl,...but seriuosly few people actually like them

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Dave, I'm sure it's hard for you to comprehend how common place these critters are here. My son was bit by a copperhead this past summer. My cousin, who lives in Germany, freaked out when she found out about it. There are 6 venomous species of snakes that live in Alabama, I'm not sure how many but probably a couple more that live in Florida. I can not even begin to figure out how many non venomous snakes live around here. Last year, south east America had one of it's dryest summers in years. The snakes were out in full force looking for water. Reptiles are a fact of life in Florida, just be on the look out while walking around the resorts. Several venomous snakes look very similar to some non venomous ones so it's best just to remove yourself from the situation as fast as possible. Remember, also, the smaller the snake, the more dangerous their bite can be.
  1. Rattlesnake
  2. Copperhead
  3. Coral Snake
  4. Cottonmouth
  5. ?
  6. ?

I think only 4...:wave:

Upvote 0

DVC Dave

Snakes...alligators...palmetto bugs....love bugs....Ahhh to be in Florida again! We normally stay at the beach club. One evening while walking to Epcot this HUGE rat snake slithered across the path. It was big and beautiful, but totally harmless to people. Be glad that they are around. An often overlooked part of Large areas of people is the mess they leave behind. Dropped food leads to Bugs and rodents. The Anoles and other lizards eat the bugs and the snakes can eat the rodents. There has been an alligator in the moat around the resort a few times as well. Not to mention the large turtles and the extra large Gouramis living in the moat as well.
I am wondering....are their Tarantulas or scorpions there??

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom