Snakes and other wildlife spotted at Disney.

ElreTigo

Last year while driving out of Port Orleans Riverside a big animal darted in front of our car. At first we thought it was a deer-turns out it was a HUGE cat probably a florida panther-freaked us out!
If it was in fact a Florida panther, consider yourself extremely lucky to actually get to spot one of these elusive beauties in the wild, even if only for a brief second.

EvilQueen-T

Ducks, salamanders, and squirrels (of course), gators, deer, and 3 cats (1 by Indiana Jones show, 1 literally laying on the front porch of the cottage for the 7 dwarf ride, and one at the Poly).

FettFan

Oh, you say that now, but just wait until they attack!

tumblr_ln5bjksyDD1qix6d4o1_500.gif
giphy.gif

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
If it was in fact a Florida panther, consider yourself extremely lucky to actually get to spot one of these elusive beauties in the wild, even if only for a brief second.

Sadly, there are only 30-50 left in the wild. :(

ElreTigo

Sadly, there are only 30-50 left in the wild. :(
Is that it? That really is sad. I was hoping their numbers would start to grow better down in the Big Cypress area of the 'Glades.

Did you see the viral video from last year of a woman hiking near Naples, and one ran past her within inches on a boardwalk?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Is that it? That really is sad. I was hoping their numbers would start to grow better down in the Big Cypress area of the 'Glades.

Did you see the viral video from last year of a woman hiking near Naples, and one ran past her within inches on a boardwalk?

Sadly, they continue to die as a result of habitat loss and poor genetic health due to a shrinking gene pool. Even the introduction of animals from Texas to provide more genetic diversity hasn't helped. Swampy South Florida isn't the ideal habitat. But that's where the greatest number of animals live. Under the recovery plan, FWS would consider delisting from endangered to threatened if population numbers could reach 240 - this excludes dependent kittens. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much will in Tallahassee to prevent further habitat degradation and loss. Having worked in the protected species field for several years, I can tell you it is an uphill battle to save these animals. And the current climate in Washington.....

Matt_Black

Having worked in the protected species field for several years, I can tell you it is an uphill battle to save these animals. And the current climate in Washington.....

I feel ya. On the plus side, I've heard many green charities are experiencing an uptick in donations. So that helps a little.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom