Snack price increases?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I've seen that explanation too. But really, how many T-shirts and Plush toys can a person buy? Also, aren't the non-US guests going to the outlet stores like everyone else?

When a cheap chinese t-shirt with a landed cost of less than a buck is selling for $30 at WDW, It does not take many purchases to make up that discount, One thing I'll never accuse Disney of is being bad at math so I'm sure for now the calculus works. Long term who knows.

Goofyernmost

We've had multiple ticketing CM's report over the years that the one day single admission ticket is still the most popular ticket choice. I would love to see the breakdown though.
I agree. I do think that if you broke it down to the tickets actually sold AT THE PARK TICKET BOOTHS, then I might be inclined to agree. But, I can't believe that it is the generally the most sold type of ticket. Most tickets are purchased as a package or independent multi-day tickets long before the users ever arrive at the parks. To say it is the most sold is a major illogical and misleading statement in my mind. Do they fill up all those rooms with one nighters?

I would also like to AGAIN point out that the rate of inflation is not taken into consideration with the costs are for a super luxury purchase like a theme park ticket. They don't even include the cost of energy and most of housing in those figures. There is no expectation nor should there be, that a place like Disney even comes under the "give a damn factor" when thinking about cost of living. It isn't recognized as a needed expenditure, but, a frivolous one. Many things have increased in prices over the years and are not considered anything to be concerned about when it comes to the cost of living. You are talking about the cost of playing.

drizgirl

I agree. I do think that if you broke it down to the tickets actually sold AT THE PARK TICKET BOOTHS, then I might be inclined to agree. But, I can't believe that it is the generally the most sold type of ticket. Most tickets are purchased as a package or independent multi-day tickets long before the users ever arrive at the parks. To say it is the most sold is a major illogical and misleading statement in my mind. Do they fill up all those rooms with one nighters?

I would also like to AGAIN point out that the rate of inflation is not taken into consideration with the costs are for a super luxury purchase like a theme park ticket. They don't even include the cost of energy and most of housing in those figures. There is no expectation nor should there be, that a place like Disney even comes under the "give a damn factor" when thinking about cost of living. It isn't recognized as a needed expenditure, but, a frivolous one. Many things have increased in prices over the years and are not considered anything to be concerned about when it comes to the cost of living. You are talking about the cost of playing.

Of course nobody expects the price of theme park tickets (or a Mickey bar for that matter) to be part of the calculation of the rate of inflation.

But comparing the rate at which prices in the parks rise compared to the rate of inflation gives one an idea how much Disney is outpacing other things the consumer is buying on a routine basis. It grounds it for comparison sake.

21stamps

I would like to see a break down as well. I do think there are a ton of single day tickets sold. Don't know if it's the majority though..I kind of doubt that. Would be nice to see the percentages.

Of course nobody expects the price of theme park tickets (or a Mickey bar for that matter) to be part of the calculation of the rate of inflation.

But comparing the rate at which prices in the parks rise compared to the rate of inflation gives one an idea how much Disney is outpacing other things the consumer is buying on a routine basis. It grounds it for comparison sake.

I know I've said this several times, but here's how I look at it.

Extras and Entertainment can not be compared to inflation. They are both ever changing. 20s years ago the majority of Americans were not carrying around $700 smart phones, paying for data plans, buying designer hand bags, owning several personal electronic devices, and owning 3 or more televisions mounted to walls in their home. People spend so much more on luxuries now than they ever have..companies base their pricing and offerings off of what their market is doing now, not off of inflation. Inflation doesn't paint a picture of how people are spending their money.

coasterphil

I would like to see a break down as well. I do think there are a ton of single day tickets sold. Don't know if it's the majority though..I kind of doubt that. Would be nice to see the percentages.

I can't speak for the package business, but if the guest makes it to Florida without purchasing tickets, it's almost a guarantee that they are buying 1d, regardless of if they purchase at a park ticket window or from a 3rd party seller (Concierge desk, visitor center, etc.)

Remember, WDW's share of the Orlando lodging market is a very small piece. There are a lot more people in the parks every day staying in an offsite hotel or rental property than ones staying in a WDW hotel. And there are plenty of people, especially these days with the increase in other offerings, that are visiting "Orlando" rather than "Disney". The Magic Kingdom isn't packed to the gills every day because of U.K. Ultimate or 10D PH ticket holders, it's the 1D 1P crowds.

21stamps

I can't speak for the package business, but if the guest makes it to Florida without purchasing tickets, it's almost a guarantee that they are buying 1d, regardless of if they purchase at a park ticket window or from a 3rd party seller (Concierge desk, visitor center, etc.)

Remember, WDW's share of the Orlando lodging market is a very small piece. There are a lot more people in the parks every day staying in an offsite hotel or rental property than ones staying in a WDW hotel. And there are plenty of people, especially these days with the increase in other offerings, that are visiting "Orlando" rather than "Disney". The Magic Kingdom isn't packed to the gills every day because of U.K. Ultimate or 10D PH ticket holders, it's the 1D 1P crowds.

I agree with you. I had a convo in another thread about this yesterday. People here seem to forget that millions and millions of people visit Florida per year, not ever thinking about the Magical Express or staying at a Disney resort. People who go on beach vacations, visit family or friends, go to Orlando to spend a vacation experiencing all that it has to offer, or add Orlando in for a day or 2 on or at the beginning or end of a trip. Then you have Florida residents..ones who aren't Disney crazed-which is the majority I'd say, and may go to MK while in the Orlando area as well. All of these people are most likely buying single day tickets.

I do think that when the tickets were non expiring the single day was probably a lower percentage than what it is now though. Like I said, I don't think single day is the majority, but I don't know. The breakdown would be interesting.

Last edited:

CdnDznyLuvr

We dropped the second trip this year. It's the first winter in 15 years we won't visit WDW, last year we went in December and January. Like you we'll continue a summer trip for now to use our DVC points. I hope it never happens but the next step would be to sell our membership.

Our vacation dollars are going to a cruise this January, and not DCL as it's so overpriced. Royal Caribbean will cost us roughly $100/day per person, which includes room, meals, and entertainment. Even with owning DVC, we were spending more than that at WDW.

I've defended many of their decisions over the years and likely would have been considered a "pixie duster", but those days are over for me. I still love the place and will visit when I can, but the days of two trips a year are simply over. There's better value and experiences out there for my money.

We are from Canada and for 10 years had APs. We looked forward to our twice a year trips to Disney World (usually Spring and Fall), however, our last trip was in May 2013. We're far from well off but are doing better than some, but for us, we just couldn't rationalize paying the increased prices Disney was charging every year, especially when we weren't getting anything more for our money. Since that last trip, we've watched prices increase even further and like others, we've decided to spend our hard earned money elsewhere - no more defending the "pixie dust". At this point, we aren't even thinking of returning to Disney World any time soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom