News Smoking locations updated at the Magic Kingdom

The Mom

Premium Member
Let’s close them all.

It is still legal to smoke. Frowned upon, socially unacceptable, unhealthy, and generally considered rude and disorderly - but still legal. As long as people only smoke in designated areas - where I don't have to be exposed to them - I'm fine with it. Or do we want to make a law banning it, and turn millions of previously law abiding citizens into criminals overnight?

tissandtully

It is still legal to smoke. Frowned upon, socially unacceptable, unhealthy, and generally considered rude and disorderly - but still legal. As long as people only smoke in designated areas - where I don't have to be exposed to them - I'm fine with it. Or do we want to make a law banning it, and turn millions of previously law abiding citizens into criminals overnight?
Have people actually called for it to be illegal? That'd be a dumb idea. I think just making it even more socially unacceptable and limiting places where you can smoke will lend to more people getting the idea and giving up on it out of pure frustration. I think there needs to be like one place in the whole park where they can all hang out.

The Mom

Premium Member
Have people actually called for it to be illegal? That'd be a dumb idea. I think just making it even more socially unacceptable and limiting places where you can smoke will lend to more people getting the idea and giving up on it out of pure frustration. I think there needs to be like one place in the whole park where they can all hang out.

Only some outspoken anti-smokers, several of whom are relatives. So yes, people would like it to be illegal. And yes, it is a dumb idea. ;)

I'mwatchinguWizowski

Only some outspoken anti-smokers, several of whom are relatives. So yes, people would like it to be illegal. And yes, it is a dumb idea. ;)

Look at the total healthcare dollars spent on the comorbidities it exacerbates and causes and you might think differently. I’m of the thinking it should be on the list with illegal drugs.

GlacierGlacier

Not to mention closing all smoke areas in WDW will just spread people out to the rest of the park to smoke, regardless of regulation. Better to give people a designated spot to smoke.

I'mwatchinguWizowski

Not to mention closing all smoke areas in WDW will just spread people out to the rest of the park to smoke, regardless of regulation. Better to give people a designated spot to smoke.

I do agree with that all things considering but still just wish at this point in time with all we know that it would just go away!

Goofyernmost

I wonder if the same ones would back making drinking illegal. That kills a lot more innocent people then smoking ever did. Seems like I remember reading about that happening... if I recall it didn't work. Walking through a place near a smoking area will NOT give anyone lung cancer, ever.

backinaction

The new spot over by space mountain is a good move. It's really far out of the way of everything. There used to be a spot underneath TTA but that was too close to the bathrooms and also the TTA ride itself. The trail between toon town and tomorrowland was decently out of the way of everything, but anyone walking the trail would be bombarded with smoke at both ends (over behind space mountain and right behind the barnstormer in toontown). That won't happen anymore because the spot in tomorrowland is far enough out of the way to not bother anyone. Taking smoking sections out completely though is a bad idea. It's not illegal, and Disney can be a very stressful place for parents trying to give their kids a memory that will last forever. People aren't perfect, and smokers aren't evil.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
I vape, and while it's not a cigarette, I respect that it's treated as such and only use the two designated areas. Moving the area will not inconvenience me, but I wouldn't be surprised to see butts still littered on that pathway as it remains the least traveled path in the park.

LEA30

I wonder if the same ones would back making drinking illegal. That kills a lot more innocent people then smoking ever did. Seems like I remember reading about that happening... if I recall it didn't work. Walking through a place near a smoking area will NOT give anyone lung cancer, ever.
Actually, smoking does kill far more innocent people, when taking into account what smoking causes... It is not just cancer (of multiple varieties.) It’s strokes, heart attacks, peripheral vascular disease. The list goes on and on and on. And second hand smoke does kill, though no, of course walking through a smoking area once won’t do it. And that is not to say alcohol in excess doesn’t kill either... it’s just sometimes more visible. But heart disease the the number one killer in the world, and a significant portion of that can be attributed to smoking. Either way, I talk to my patients about both. :)

I don’t think smoking or drinking should be made illegal. And if we must have designated smoking places, so be it. It only bothers me when people do it outside the general smoking area. But I wouldn’t be shocked if WDW went smoking free at some point.

Goofyernmost

Actually, smoking does kill far more innocent people, when taking into account what smoking causes... It is not just cancer (of multiple varieties.) It’s strokes, heart attacks, peripheral vascular disease. The list goes on and on and on. And second hand smoke does kill, though no, of course walking through a smoking area once won’t do it. And that is not to say alcohol in excess doesn’t kill either... it’s just sometimes more visible. But heart disease the the number one killer in the world, and a significant portion of that can be attributed to smoking. Either way, I talk to my patients about both. :)

I don’t think smoking or drinking should be made illegal. And if we must have designated smoking places, so be it. It only bothers me when people do it outside the general smoking area. But I wouldn’t be shocked if WDW went smoking free at some point.
Yes, indeed directly sucking tar and nicotine into ones lungs can and will cause serious damage over time. It is the argument from people that walk by, the fake coughing and the snottiness exhibited toward smokers that I find far more offensive then human beings being human beings and having flaws. The holier then thou group are also part of the same group that drink until their livers look like Swiss cheese that act like if they come within a few feet of smoke will drop dead within three steps that have me upset. And I don't even smoke anymore and haven't in years, but, I did for over 40 years and I know how strong the addiction can be. If you told someone that you had a drug abuse problem they would fall all over themselves trying to find help for you, but, mention smoking and all of a sudden they are evil, stupid and dirty people. The older I get the more I really can't stand people. Maybe people should be banned from WDW. I know it would be a much more pleasant place for me. And please, ban popcorn and Turkey legs. The smell of those things make me nauseous .

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
You're not going to shut them down. Discourage smokers....sure. But unless Disney is ready to put in a budget for the "cigarette police", I expect that they will continue to move these areas out the public view as they have been doing.

The correlation I see - is that as they eliminate areas (As they did recently with Morocco in EPCOT), I observe more and more people walking around the parks catching a few drags (obviously not trying to call attention to themselves). It's usually a couple of puffs and away the cigarette goes.

And yes, I smoke (used to be a heavy smoker - but now its more a social thing when I'm having a couple of drinks). And...I always respect the designated areas.

francism

It's only a matter of time before Disney cuts the smoking areas from the park. Public pressure through complaints along with the need for the use of those physical spaces make it not a matter of if, but when. I'm guessing additional stroller parking areas will be needed for the additional crowds that Star Wars Galaxy's Edge will bring, along with the 50th. Also extra ECV parking and more Instagram photo spots will be needed.

We've seen public pressure chip away at some of the most long standing traditions, alcohol being served in the Magic Kingdom being the most notable change in recent history. Disney already photoshops pictures of Walt, taking away his cigarettes he was holding while pointing with two fingers. So it won't be a surprise when the smoking locations, pardon the pun, go up in smoke either.

It doesn't matter if smoking is legal or not. If Disney wants their private property to be a no smoking zone, they'll manage to do it. Bag search will take a little longer as they pat you down looking for your pack, and the spiel on the trams will tell you to leave your weapons, selfie sticks, and CANCER DEATH STICKS* in your car. (*Disney may or may not be more tactful)

Don't forget the Green push either. Plastic straws and lids are already out because of UNPRECEDENTED PUBLIC DEMAND but apparently old cigarettes are the #1 source of trash ending up in the oceans. So how long will Disney ignore that?

Seriously though, I'm happy to walk around the parks without encountering the smoke and the areas are out of the way enough. People will somehow justify that they can smoke wherever if Disney does decide to ban it, because that's just how people are and the rules will somehow not apply to them. So let them have the areas. I can actually recall the few times I've walked near people who were smoking out of the designated areas because it is so uncommon and that was more of a people behaving badly situation. I've seen more people let their kids go to the bathroom in random areas of the park than I've seen smokers. Despite that, I do think it's only a matter of time. Might not be this year or next, but within a decade for sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom