Smoking in WDW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duck_daddy

Your right, people do have a right to breath clean air, but since when do people have a right to smoke? I never knew it was a right. But, not wanting to get caught in a dogpile of head shots, I used to smoke, haven't since 1995. Back then I didn't know it was a right either. And for some people it has no effect, and for others it is intense, like my nephew.
I have a right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. Smoking makes me happy, problem solved! Smoking itself is not a Constitutional right, but then again neither is walking or breathing, but I think both of those fall into one of the aforementioned categories above. You try going without those to for a day and see if your happy OR alive!:cool:

duck_daddy

Your right, people do have a right to breath clean air, but since when do people have a right to smoke? I never knew it was a right. But, not wanting to get caught in a dogpile of head shots, I used to smoke, haven't since 1995. Back then I didn't know it was a right either. And for some people it has no effect, and for others it is intense, like my nephew.
Hence the reason I don't smoke in areas populated with non-smokers!

duck_daddy

Well now that the can of worms is opened...
Obviously not -every- person who smokes is going to get lung cancer.
But for a simple statistic i encounter everyday...
I work for an organ donation organization. 90% of the people I deal with who die and donate are between the ages of 40 and 60, and about 90% of them die from heart attacks... and 95% of them smoked reguarly. Most of them are also overweight also, but not all.

So this tells me that while smoking may or may not give every smoker cancer, it's obviously contributing to overall bad health...

Not official statistics, but this is what I see every single day...
Apply salt as you see fit.
:shrug:
Another staggering stat alot of people smoke, it ain't good for you, at least that what the Surgeon General says, ah hell what does he know! However 95% of smokers are aware of this negative affect, it's been pounded into our heads for years, WE GET IT NOW IT'S BAD. So is drinking, and stress. Quick everybody raise your hands if you don't have a stressful job! I know my job is stressful(which is why I smoke) should I quit? Stress is a killer too you know. Fatty foods, oh boy now most of us are in trouble. Kudos to you if your a Vegeterian, but your lacking certain Vitamins and minerals in your diet that aren't helping your life along too well either. Six in one half a dozen in the other. I smoke, it's probably gonna kill me, but guess what everybody else is gonna go sometime or the other and I'm gonna enjoy my life!

DisneyGigi

People shouldn't smoke outside of the smoking areas and people that don't want to smell or be around smoke shouldn't take a rest in the smoking areas. While the signs might not be as big as you wish it isn't so hard to see that people are smoking... if it bothers you just move.... :rolleyes:

duck_daddy

People shouldn't smoke outside of the smoking areas and people that don't want to smell or be around smoke shouldn't take a rest in the smoking areas. While the signs might not be as big as you wish it isn't so hard to see that people are smoking... if it bothers you just move.... :rolleyes:
WE HAVE A WINNER!

Larry Mondello

Well now that the can of worms is opened...
Obviously not -every- person who smokes is going to get lung cancer.
But for a simple statistic i encounter everyday...
I work for an organ donation organization. 90% of the people I deal with who die and donate are between the ages of 40 and 60, and about 90% of them die from heart attacks... and 95% of them smoked reguarly. Most of them are also overweight also, but not all.

So this tells me that while smoking may or may not give every smoker cancer, it's obviously contributing to overall bad health...

Not official statistics, but this is what I see every single day...
Apply salt as you see fit.
:shrug:

I wasn't talking about smokers. I was talking about older lifelong non-smokers who were subject to second hand smoke constantly back in the day.

dsnyfreak

i PERSONALLY DO NOT SMOKE BUT i WOULDN'T BE SUPRISED IF ONE DAY THEY BAN IT ALL TOGETHER INSIDE THE PARKS. i THINK MOST OF THE RESORTS ARE SMOKE FREE EXCEPT IN ROOMS AND NEAR THE LOUNGES.

duck_daddy

i PERSONALLY DO NOT SMOKE BUT i WOULDN'T BE SUPRISED IF ONE DAY THEY BAN IT ALL TOGETHER INSIDE THE PARKS. i THINK MOST OF THE RESORTS ARE SMOKE FREE EXCEPT IN ROOMS AND NEAR THE LOUNGES.
If they do I won't smoke in the parks, it's private property, Disney makes the rules. Public property, I smoke at will, away from non-smokers.

mikeanabean

The thing is smoking is LEGAL and even though it is on private property smokers do have rights. The reason why Disney but those ban's in place was to save on insurance premiums. I also do not believe that smoking will be outlawed because the States and Federal Govt need the tax revenue.

daliseurat

Here we go...

I'm a non-smoker. BUT...I think thing have gotten WAY out of hand with all the smoking rules. While I fully agre that enclosed spaces like planes and trains should be smoke free, I think smokers are getting the shaft in many places quite frankly. They can't smoke in restaurants in many places, even if the restaurant sets up special rooms with massive ventilation. Many many public spaces are becoming smoke free, and smokers are being made to feel that they are the worst people on earth.

Yet, it's perfectly okay to have a bunch of drunks on the road, drug addicts anywhere they please, people with horribly rude personalities inflicting themselves on everyone, and cell phone yakking and ringtones loudly popping up everywhere. And so many people love to sit around and bring up the whole HEALTH issue. Well, okay, it's true. Cigs are bad for you. So, if it's okay to sit around and bad mouth any smoker you see, whether they are be courteous about it or not, perhaps it's fair to just randomly go up to every fat person you see and point out how they are a walking heart attack, anyone having a beer should clearly be tossed in jail before they get behind the wheel of a car, and oh, let's all bring big cans of Lysol and Oust to spray at all the smelly people, and maybe some gags for all the potty mouths out there. Because the rest of us are just so perfect, aren't we?

Pretty ridiculous.

We don't really need a debate about the rights of smokers and non-smokers. Everyone is pretty much in agreement.

The entire point of the thread is that it isn't as easy as it should be to locate the smoking zones at WDW. Some people want to find 'em to smoke. Some of us want to avoid those zones. As someone else pointed out, if it bothers you, move. Which is what I do. I'd just like some better signage to help me do it before I walk into it.

duck_daddy

The thing is smoking is LEGAL and even though it is on private property smokers do have rights. The reason why Disney but those ban's in place was to save on insurance premiums. I also do not believe that smoking will be outlawed because the States and Federal Govt need the tax revenue.
Ehh.......not true, if Disney decides to put the axe on smoking, there are only two ways you could smoke on property, illegally or in your car with the windows rolled up(technically your private property). True smokers have rights, we have already established that, but Disney has rights too. They have the right to do with their property as they wish. If you came into my house and I didn't want you to smoke, my rights as a homeowner supercede your right to smoke in my house, that just the way it is!

dsnyfreak

i definately have to agree with you. I don't think that they will altogether ban all smoking but stranger things have happened, also, dumber things.

PoohsGang

How about no smoking anywhere not just Disney (Insert can of worms)

No designated smoking areas anywhere.

I use to smoke and realized I was short term financing my death, took the daily money I spent and bought a boat. Not a row boat a real 27' boat that sleeps 6. Yes I finaced it and put the money aside each day just like I was buying smokes, I actally have a little money left over after I make my boat payment.

One thing I know is that because I smoked I won't get as many years with my boat that I would like as I'm feeling the affects at the age of 45 the damage it has done can't be reversed, it will cut my life expectency short. My mistake really angers me. But there are millions who are just as stupid as I was and millions who will give the argument "you can die crossing the street" But I ask why prescribe to death? When people like myself can't make the proper decisions for themselves I feel that someone should step in. Therefore I wish that they would have banned smoking years ago, I may not have had the oppurtunity to shorten my life and cause harm to others like I did when I smoked.
I'm sure I'll generate all sorts of hate comments. Im so sorry I ever took up the nasty habit. I'm not sorry if I have offended anyone as life is too short and we all need to do whatever we can to extend it.

PS I was just an average smoker not a heavy smoker. So hold all the WOW YOU MUST HAVE SMOKE A LOT TO BUY A BOAT COMMENTS.

Larry Mondello

Although most of the people who post on this board are die-hard Disney fans who can't live without Disney, a vast majority of Disney guests are marginal visitors who if told they could not smoke while in the parks and had to leave every time they needed a nicotine fix would opt to spend there vacation dollars elsewhere. Disney as well as all other vacation destinations know this and would't think of alienating a significant portion of there potential customers.

As a non-smoker, I am far more inconvenienced by people on scooters than smokers even when they were allowed to smoke everywhere.

duck_daddy

i definately have to agree with you. I don't think that they will altogether ban all smoking but stranger things have happened, also, dumber things.
The whole no smoking EVERYWHERE thing annoys me. It's all part of the Global Warming, Healthy America era. It's political crap. I know smoking is bad, so in order to make me healthy, and live a long prosperous life, your going to make me quit smoking? That's great if I want to live a long prosperous life, but what if I want to enjoy a somewhat shorter, fun filled life, doing things I enjoy. Are you going to make people quit jumping out of planes, I'm of the impression that jumping from planes is not a very healthy option in life. They are passing legislation now to control what we eat, does this sound a little like a totalitarianism to anyone else? It's all because of rising healthcare costs, so they want to make us healthier............bull$hit, they want to see how many aspects of our life they can control. Smoking is only be allowed in the U.S. because of the huge tax revenue the government pulls in from sales. Why aren't drugs allowed, well they're bad, hell no, they can't tax them yet. Off soapbox.

dsnyfreak

I AGREE. THOSE PEOPLE ON THOSE CARTS ALWAYS TAKE UP SO MUCH SPACE. i UNDERSTAND THAT SOME PEOPLE REALLY NEED THEM BUT SOME REALLY DON'T. THEY JUST USE IT TO GET ON RIDES FASTER. I'VE SEEN 3 YOUNG TEENS WITH A WHEELCHAIR A FEW TIMES IN ONE DAY AND EACH TIME A DIFFERENT KID WAS RIDING IN THE CHAIR.

dsnyfreak

I Say If People Want To Do All Those "bad For You" Things Like Eating Anything, Well Lets Go Ahead And Let Them. Why The Heck Not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom