Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dizneeboy

Nicotine is a highly addictive chemical. One previous surgeon general stated it should be classified the same as the opiods.

I've watch my mom and friends struggle to quit. I'm not going to belittle or criticize those who sadly are addicted.

Do I applaud Disney's efforts to reduce smoking in the parks? Yes. Do I think this is the solution? No. I think containment in smoking areas in the parks was best. Even better, smoking rooms in each park that comply with current Florida law. Disney is a big stick in this state. I'm sure their lobbyists could get a modification, if they wanted one.

This ^

I'm not a smoker but do date a respectful person who vapes. Designated areas aren't a problem. We non-smokers get 99.9% of the park smoke free and can easily navigate from those areas. I dont condone smoking but I'd rather be around non-anxious people who got their nicotine fix occasionally than people drunk off their buts and being belligerent.

Also, I've been to work conferences where numerous people bring those small vapes and puff on them right behind the booths in the middle of a "smoke free" conference hall. Creativity to get around this, or a blatant disregard for it, will be the next battle. Reducing to one area per park that is very removed from guests would have been a better next step IMO.

Last edited:

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I will be (and was) "that guy". When Disney Springs went to smoking areas, they placed them very poorly in the beginning. This was before Town Center was open. If you were in The Landing area during busy crowds on a weekend, it would literally take you 30 minutes each way fighting the crowds to get to a smoking area. An hour walk for a cigarette is nuts in my mind. The first night it happened we followed the rules the first few times and then said this is insane. This was before Morimotto street food was open and it was just a dead end. We just created our own smoking area there, along with about 100 other people. Was it the right thing to do? No. Did a couple adult beverages have any influence on my thought process? Probably, but making smokers lose an hour every time they want to smoke was not a fair solution either. Since then they have re-located the Disney Springs smoking areas to more logical locations. I am a retired cop, I am usually a person who follows rules to the letter. Imagine people who generally don't follow the rules that they don't think apply to them. I still on regular basis see people smoking in non smoking areas of the parks (especially Epcot) and Disney Springs. I don't see this going over well, or being very enforceable. Are they going to have a special security smoking unit? Can you say smoking in the boys room? If someone says something to a person smoking there, the offender flushes the toilet and says it must have been the person in the next stall. This will cause much more smoking in the wrong areas rather than fixing any problems that existed. On a good note, I always hated going to the "smoking areas" and having to smoke next to everyone packed in there with their small children.

Rogue1138

I'm a smoker and I've seen this coming for the last few years. I try to be a respectful as possible to people who don't and I keep to my little corner of the world and abuse myself. Those people who don't respect designated areas, still won't. Those who always have, will. I actually liked when they reduced the spots in the parks since I ended up smoking a lot less.

I think the really issue is where they put the designated areas outside the parks. Outside MK there's a spot by the bathrooms on the way to the buses. If this will be the official spot now, do you really think people are going to walk from Main St all the way there, then wait in line for security and ticketing? No, those people will sneak it in the park. Rude, uncaring people will always be rude, uncaring people.

BoarderPhreak

This new Star Trek ride s*cks. 🤣

042115vape_960x540.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
why do you have to get so close to smoking sections? in reality some of the sections could be better designed...your argument is that you cant avoid the smoke but that is inherently not true. inconvenient maybe but avoidable. its irelevant its a change amd i dont even smoke and never have i just dont see the gain.

I’ll give you that...but it’s a different argument. Placement is and always has been bad.

But is the operation gonna pay to redesign and construct better smoking spots when it is utilized by so few?

So we’re back to “go” and I still can’t afford to land on Boardwalk😎

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sorry, but if the survey relies on self-reporting, people are just not going to tell the government the truth. Hence all those "non-smokers" holding their cigarettes out of the window as they drive down the street.

Not a lot of people
Smoke...I hate to be the one to point out the obvious here

Rogue1138

On a good note, I always hated going to the "smoking areas" and having to smoke next to everyone packed in there with their small children.

As a father, it's always bothered me to see that. I might have a terrible habit but I never force my kids to be exposed to it from anyone. My mom used to hot box in the car when I was little and it was miserable. If life was perfect, I'd have a little spot away from everyone I can have a few puffs quickly, not bother anyone and be on my merry way.

Plus there's a good chunk of weird smokers who feel like because you're in a designated area they need to unload their problems/conspiracy theories/complaints/etc on you.

Patcheslee

I'm a smoker and I've seen this coming for the last few years. I try to be a respectful as possible to people who don't and I keep to my little corner of the world and abuse myself. Those people who don't respect designated areas, still won't. Those who always have, will. I actually liked when they reduced the spots in the parks since I ended up smoking a lot less.

I think the really issue is where they put the designated areas outside the parks. Outside MK there's a spot by the bathrooms on the way to the buses. If this will be the official spot now, do you really think people are going to walk from Main St all the way there, then wait in line for security and ticketing? No, those people will sneak it in the park. Rude, uncaring people will always be rude, uncaring people.
I'd say Epcot may be the worse if they don't intend to put one at IG entrance as well, from the back of WS that's almost a mile.

zurj

Well that is a relflection of the person trying to "sneak one"
They know the policy and still try and ignore it because it inconveniences them .classy
Well that is a relflection of the person trying to "change reality"
They know the reality and still try and ignore it because it inconveniences them .idealist

UncleMike101

Ya know.................
I'm really fed up with people who profess tolerance and then trash anyone who disagrees with their holier than thou proclamations.
I smoked for forty seven years.
I quit cold turkey the day my vape cig arrived in the mail.
I used the vape crutch for a year and gave that up.
Now I've been tobacco free for eight years.
Mine was a purely mercenary reason for quitting.
I got tired of burning my money.
But as a long time smoker I have sympathy for those who, for what ever reason, still smoke.
They are being treated like lepers, or Typhoid Mary, by the saintly among us who apparently have been given, by God, the powers to damn others whom commit acts that they don't particularly like.
I can't stand the smell of smoke any more but I will not condemn someone for consuming a legal substance while so many people who use illegal substances are being given a pass by "liberal" society because they are addicted.
I've got news for those SJW's.
Tobacco is an addicting substance and those addicted to it ought not be vilified because they made a poor life choice and became smokers.
And as a formerly addicted person I foresee the thousands of people who visit WDW daily and still smoke to resort to whatever subterfuge they feel is necessary to feed their addiction.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Smoking is at a record low in America. It's down to something like 10% of adults.

Edit. I was wrong it's 14% in 2017. https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/adult_data/cig_smoking/index.htm
Yep
OK.

I don't buy the statistic.
Why wouldn’t you? Where are you that you think more than 1 in 7 smoke?
Double that, the main difference may be reports of higher smoking rate in lower income brackets vs higher incomes needed to afford a Disney vacation in the first place.
Yep...and the economics you brought up heavily skews the statistics...downward

BoarderPhreak

Why wouldn’t you? Where are you that you think more than 1 in 7 smoke?
On December 18, 2018, the US Surgeon General officially declared e-cigarette use among youth an "epidemic." While national data show that smoking rates are down, the rate of vaping in teens has skyrocketed. According to the 2018 Monitoring the Future survey, which included over 40,000 teens nationwide, 21% of 12th graders reported vaping nicotine during the past 30 days That is double the rate reporting use in 2017. Similar increases were seen in kids as young as sixth grade.

21%! That's nearly 1 in 4. Granted, that's vaping and not smoking. It's just a shift in WHAT people consume.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ya know.................
I'm really fed up with people who profess tolerance and then trash anyone who disagrees with their holier than thou proclamations.
I smoked for forty seven years.
I quit cold turkey the day my vape cig arrived in the mail.
I used the vape crutch for a year and gave that up.
Now I've been tobacco free for eight years.
Mine was a purely mercenary reason for quitting.
I got tired of burning my money.
But as a long time smoker I have sympathy for those who, for what ever reason, still smoke.
They are being treated like lepers, or Typhoid Mary, by the saintly among us who apparently have been given, by God, the powers to damn others whom commit acts that they don't particularly like.
I can't stand the smell of smoke any more but I will not condemn someone for consuming a legal substance while so many people who use illegal substances are being given a pass by "liberal" society because they are addicted.
I've got news for those SJW's.
Tobacco is an addicting substance and those addicted to it ought not be vilified because they made a poor life choice and became smokers.
And as a formerly addicted person I foresee the thousands of people who visit WDW daily and still smoke to resort to whatever subterfuge they feel is necessary to feed their addiction.

I’m not judging you at all...I think you’re reflective of a cultural progression.

You Started 55 years ago...in a different time. You dumping it reflects that change in some
Ways.

But the reality is this is about about a behemoth money factory that’s privately owned. We need to look at it that way...not even about “culture”.

There really should be no surprise at policies like this...it’s better economically

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom