Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This should be interesting.

I’d bet the opposite...it will be unnotoceable before you know it. (Pun intended)

Now get the hotels cleared...that’s a bigger day to day nuisance - just my opinion.
will you need to go through bag check and the touchpoints every time you want to smoke? the lines are long enough as it is

Won’t matter...because hardly anyone does it anyway...especially at the worlds biggest “pay by the minute” complex

cmb5002

This won't go well.

Listen, I don't like cigarette smoke either, but to expect someone who is addicted to cigarettes to walk from American Adventure, or Rafiki's Planet Watch, to the front gate is fantasy talk. They won't walk miles for a cigarette, at best they'll find an isolated space and at worst they'll light up as they walk to their next destination.

Keeping the smoking areas is a better solution and if there are that many complaints about open air smoke, then sealed smoking rooms with smoke eater air filters and some comfortable seating is the best choice. Just because someone smokes a cigarette, doesn't make them sub-human and worthy of scorn. Make the areas appealing to smokers and they will happily seek them out.

Ariel1986

This isn't going to work. There's too many smokers who are not going to keep traipsing out to the front of the park when they need a cigarette- or buying the patches so they can spend a day in the park. They'll just chance smoking when they can. And Disney isn't going to kick out everyone they spot smoking, there will be too many people daily- and it would be too hard to prove someone is deliberately breaking the rules and smoking purposely whilst knowing the park is smoke free.

My husband smokes so this will be interesting. He may actually buy the patches though.

They should trial Tokyo Disney's solution- smoking rooms. No windows, no ventilation- you don't even need to take a cigarette in the room was so full of smoke! :jawdrop: I'm joking by the way, the smoking rooms were CRAZY (and I don't smoke- I went into find my husband in one once, it was disgusting in there! He only used one once too because even he couldn't stand it).

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Here's what will happen. People will find little corners, places off the beaten path, areas with sparse crowds........and they'll take a drag or 2, or three......then they'll repeat.

If they get caught.....a simple mea culpa - they'll put the cigarette out and 10 minutes later they'll light one back up in a different area.

They are going to have to enforce a zero tolerance policy with expulsion from the parks as the penalty if they really want this to work. Disney caters to a large International clientele (many of which take their smoking seriously). Wonder how its going to play if a Frenchman (or Spaniard) who has paid thousands of dollars in flights, hotels, and tickets gets booted from the MK for lighting one up?

This is coming from a smoker.

Jon81uk

This won't go well.

Listen, I don't like cigarette smoke either, but to expect someone who is addicted to cigarettes to walk from American Adventure, or Rafiki's Planet Watch, to the front gate is fantasy talk. They won't walk miles for a cigarette, at best they'll find an isolated space and at worst they'll light up as they walk to their next destination.

Keeping the smoking areas is a better solution and if there are that many complaints about open air smoke, then sealed smoking rooms with smoke eater air filters and some comfortable seating is the best choice. Just because someone smokes a cigarette, doesn't make them sub-human and worthy of scorn. Make the areas appealing to smokers and they will happily seek them out.
This isn't going to work. There's too many smokers who are not going to keep traipsing out to the front of the park when they need a cigarette- or buying the patches so they can spend a day in the park. They'll just chance smoking when they can. And Disney isn't going to kick out everyone they spot smoking, there will be too many people daily- and it would be too hard to prove someone is deliberately breaking the rules and smoking purposely whilst knowing the park is smoke free.

My husband smokes so this will be interesting. He may actually buy the patches though.

They should trial Tokyo Disney's solution- smoking rooms. No windows, no ventilation- you don't even need to take a cigarette in the room was so full of smoke! :jawdrop: I'm joking by the way, the smoking rooms were CRAZY (and I don't smoke, my husband does- I went into find him in one once, it was disgusting in there! He only used one once too because even he couldn't stand it).

Smoking rooms would probably be illegal as technically it would be smoking in a workplace.

Club Cooloholic

This will be the big question I think. Is Disney willing to make a scene to remove a person who smoked 1 cigarette inside the park? Also, does anyone know if this will include Disney springs as well?
I have read several stories of smokers on balconies at hotels not getting booted or even fined, after guests complained so, dont hold your breath.

Nemo14

I'm not a smoker and the smell of cigarettes really bothers me, but I really think this is a pretty ignorant solution. Smoking is an addiction, and frankly I don't want to have to deal with people having withdrawal issues when I'm on vacation. set aside a few areas within each park, and enforce the rules about not smoking elsewhere.

Jon81uk

While I'm not a lawyer, I'm sure there's some sort of workaround for stand alone bars or similar places.

bars that don't serve food are exempted in Florida law. But that isn't a standalone smoking room. I can't see Disney opening a bar, just to allow people to smoke indoors! It appears under Florida law they wouldn't be able to have a dedicated indoor smoking room unless it is a bar or cigar store.

Calmdownnow

DH has mentioned canceling June res now because smokers "aren't welcome". Neither of us smoke often, but to walk back through a park is frustrating. Chances are we will spend less time in the parks than planned
I pity the smokers who will arrive in 5 weeks time without any notice of this policy change and may face being frogmarched out of the place if Disney's enforcement mirrors some of the extreme ideas being mooted by some of the anti-smokers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom