Smart phones while waiting in line....

Do you use a smart phone while waiting in line?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
When the wait for a ride is long, my family and myself LOVE playing Heads Up! It really helps pass the time in line and we wind up meeting people who become involved in our games!

I saw several groups doing this a Disneyland and thought it was a great idea. Keeps everyone entertained and interacting with each other in the moment. I just need to wait until my kids are both able to read.

ninjaprincesst

I don't use mine, but the reason is so the battery will last all day so I will have my phone for MDE for fastpass and dining and so I have battery to call when our party always gets separated.

jensenrick

My iphone is a necessity, plain and simple. It didn't used to be, back in the day I survived, but now it is. Here's a list of just a few things that I use it for and wouldn't want to be without-

1)I'm always texting family or friends, either we have to meet up, meet later, change plans,
2)I use it to check the weather,
3)calculate my tips,
4)take my photos,
5)check and change my FP+,
6)look at the pictures taken by the Disney photographers,
7)use the "check in" feature on Facebook to let friends and family know where I am,
8) add contact info for the new friends I make at WDW,
9) use to games to pass the time in line, especially when I'm on my own, or in a long line. "Prune" on my Ipad was a great way to pass the 45 min needed to ride 7D Mine Train.
10) my Twitter feed. There has been a few times where I'll find out something new about WDW while at WDW by checking twitter, like when the walls came down near Morimoto's.
11) Google maps, to check distance when we are thinking of going off property to eat,
12) Health app, to check how many steps I've gone today,
13) Showtimes app, when we're thinking of seeing a movie at Disney Springs,
14) and Periscope, of course, my friends love those vids,
15) Uber, for when Mom gets impatient and doesn't want to wait for the bus,
16) Groupon, for when I head over to I-Drive 360, and such like,
17) I'm always using Google to solve questions about trivia and such,
18) checking wait times, of course, sometimes even on my Universal app, in case I want to switch over,
19) etc. - I'm sure there will be more in the future.

My mom? my aunts? They would have a stroke if I didn't have my phone with me so they can contact me. And I've had some nice convos started because people are interested in the apps on my Ipad.

epcotisbest

My iphone is a necessity, plain and simple. It didn't used to be, back in the day I survived, but now it is. Here's a list of just a few things that I use it for and wouldn't want to be without-

1)I'm always texting family or friends, either we have to meet up, meet later, change plans,
2)I use it to check the weather,
3)calculate my tips,
4)take my photos,
5)check and change my FP+,
6)look at the pictures taken by the Disney photographers,
7)use the "check in" feature on Facebook to let friends and family know where I am,
8) add contact info for the new friends I make at WDW,
9) use to games to pass the time in line, especially when I'm on my own, or in a long line. "Prune" on my Ipad was a great way to pass the 45 min needed to ride 7D Mine Train.
10) my Twitter feed. There has been a few times where I'll find out something new about WDW while at WDW by checking twitter, like when the walls came down near Morimoto's.
11) Google maps, to check distance when we are thinking of going off property to eat,
12) Health app, to check how many steps I've gone today,
13) Showtimes app, when we're thinking of seeing a movie at Disney Springs,
14) and Periscope, of course, my friends love those vids,
15) Uber, for when Mom gets impatient and doesn't want to wait for the bus,
16) Groupon, for when I head over to I-Drive 360, and such like,
17) I'm always using Google to solve questions about trivia and such,
18) checking wait times, of course, sometimes even on my Universal app, in case I want to switch over,
19) etc. - I'm sure there will be more in the future.

My mom? my aunts? They would have a stroke if I didn't have my phone with me so they can contact me. And I've had some nice convos started because people are interested in the apps on my Ipad.
Interesting list. We have been going two to three times per year for many years and have never used a phone to do a single thing on that list while at WDW. My phone is not a necessity at WDW, plain and simple.

Last edited:

Sans Souci

If the line is really long, I might glance at it periodically. My husband, OTOH, was always on his Blackberry. His former employer was ridiculous, they didn't care if he was on vacation. (I feel immense schadenfreude that this company is slowly circling the drain.) He had a Blackberry and he was tapping away all day on that thing. When he wasn't tapping out emails, he would step away somewhere quiet to take a call. Luckily, that is in the past now.

Wdw62114

13xo2m.jpg

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Being a huge fan of jrpg's I personally enjoy grinding levels while waiting in line. Obviously if I didn't have so much experience with the parks my answer would be different but until the creative culture changes, I'll be hunting metal slimes.

Jimmy Thick- Entering a psychedelic trance of creative free flow thought.

ProfSavage

I haven't been in the parks since the advent of smartphones, but I don't see a problem with it in the queue. The ride, yes.

Also, nice avi Jimmy! ;)

Segata Sanshiro!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Ahh the old smart phone, why communicate with the people you are with when you can communicate with complete strangers, possibly groomers all over the planet. My work phone stays at home when Im on holiday, the clue being the word holiday, my personal phone is usually lying flat because most of the people I want to be able to get hold of me can without using that rude device. I can understand and agree with letting young children use tham as a distraction along with those with certain mental health conditions, it keeps them occupied and distracted. Teenagers using them as a means of avoiding contact with the outside world is a clear indication the ungrateful buggers should be left at home feeling sorry for themselves in a less expensive place.

Tyaloo

Really, you're on vacation - so use the phone or don't - who cares what people think? You're the boss of your vacation :) Remember, if you're busy criticizing someone else, that takes away from your fun! Ignore the haters and enjoy it! Spread kindness :happy:

Seanual757

My wife and I have ours normally I am not on the phone unless I am taking photos of the kids. I see nothing wrong with it I could care less what others are doing, all I ask is that they pay attention and move up when the line moves.

NelleBelle

I'm torn--cell phones totally irritate me but I've been guilty of pulling it out when we've been stuck in a que that's been 60+ min to play Disney trivia games with my family, take pictures, and keep my kids entertained. We've always been conscious of the line movement and kept up. The pet peeve is when those who are on them are not paying attention leave a mile wide gap as the line moves. I frankly don't give a crap that they're on their device but there is something odd t see everyone with their heads down. As for conversing with those around us, rarely does that happen unless we're agreeing about something/someone in line. *shrug*

Mike K

Personally, when my wife and I head to WDW (with our latest trip coming up this Friday!) we take the experience as a way to fully deplug from technology. Of course we bring our phones and laptops with us but, we never go to the parks with our phones. There's something very freeing about not reaching for them when even the slightest hint of boredom sets in and instead allows us to just shoot the breeze in line and fully appreciate all that's around us. Also, the added bonus of not carrying our phones allows us to not worry about any potential water damage on rides like Splash Mountain or Kali River Rapids too.

jaklgreen

If you are in a long line then I see nothing wrong with going on your phone for a bit. My girls and I were waiting for something and and older couple were ahead of us. The gentleman was playing angry birds and was really getting into it. My girls found that very amusing. Just as long as you keep up with the line, how you pass the time does not affect me. Unless you are being a jerk and yelling at your kids or something like that. In that case I would rather you be on your phone. I travel solo every year and my phone syncs with my nook. So I will read in some of the longer lines. Since there are plenty of times that I do not want to converse with strangers(I go solo for a reason).

Weather_Lady

We try to avoid long waits but when we have them, we do things like play "I Spy," etc., rather than bury our noses in our Smartphones. It's fine for others, if that's what they want to do, as long as: (1) they're not so focused on their phone that they hold up the line or run into the people in front of them; and (2) they put the phone away before boarding the vehicle for a dark ride. Otherwise, I kill them. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom