Small World to be characterized?

AEfx

Oh, I totally won't opt out. I think it sounds really frickin' cool. But with privacy laws as they are, I'm sure there was a lot of things to consider. Thanks for the info!

Not really any privacy laws that apply here, because privacy laws are based around dissemination of secure info, and largely about notification of what your information is used for. So, as long as they make due effort to let everyone know what's going on (be it printed on the back of the ticket in tiny words, or what have you) there really isn't any law against Disney using RFID however they please on their own private property.

I feel the same way about this as I do my TiVo. My TiVo collects data on what I watch and sends it to TiVo, who uses it to contribute to Nielsen ratings, as well as other programs. It's valuable marketing data, but I have zero issue with it. If TiVo would like to know that yesterday I watched Hannah Montana and then flipped over to watch a recorded Larry King Live, I'm totally OK with that. It's information that could be published in a newspaper for all I care - I do not consider what I watch on TV to be anything but a source of amusement to my friends.

The same feeling applies to this. I couldn't care one iota less if Disney wants to track me as I trek about the parks. I don't plan on doing anything "wrong", and if it's helpful for them to track how many times I go on "Haunted Mansion", stop for a drink, or even if they know how many trips I make to the bathroom - big deal. None of that information can be used to harm me (OH NO! My boss might find out I went on the Haunted Mansion 3 times in a row!), it's useless to pretty much anyone but Disney, and if they want to do it - yay for them.

Privacy is important, but too many people go WAY overboard and say it's "principle" even when it's not a concern like it isn't here. They talk of "Slippery Slopes", etc. - and that's just a false "world is ending" argument. In fact, Disney already has much more concrete data on us than this will ever provide - they keep guest logs of your communications with them, they can track your purchases (even on different credit cards), they know your birthdate in many cases, etc. That's real world info. Tracking you as you move through their parks is not going to affect anything outside of your time there.

I take a more logical approach to it - what info do they/can they collect, and what could it's future effect have on me. In this case, if Disney puts RFID in tickets (which seems the only logical place), it doesn't affect my trip at all, and it can only help future developments IMHO.

All that said, I don't think the "next gen" RFID stuff really matters much anyway. I'm really not interested in most things it could probably do (like the name thing, etc.) and I just feel kinda blah about the whole thing, just like I do with so-called "interactivity" in rides that supposedly everyone demands these days (which I just don't see).

The only interesting application I can really think of would be the next-gen character costumes - presumably if their faces move then there is a 2nd person doing the talking from elsewhere, and it would be handy for a family to be able to use an RFID ticket with, say, their kids name on it or their hometown, so the character could interact with the children like they 'knew' them, instead of having to ask names, etc.

WEDwaydatamover

I think IASW should be left as is. Is no attraction sacred anymore? Not every attraction needs a character tie-in or hidden Mickey quota. I feel dumbed down when Disney operates on overkill mode.

People get a little uneasy about RFID microchips and technology because they are ALSO implanted in animals and humans with biometric information by companies such as Digital Angel and PositiveID (both have official websites) and there are some fears that one day their applications might be a bit more sinister than they are today at ole' Walt Disney World.

They could reallllllly make it a small world after all;)

lnsemsf

At least you CAN look at the subs there as Nemo saved them. It was either that or the fate they suffered here in Florida.

WEDwaydatamover

Oh I know. Character tie-ins on the DL submarines, the WDW monorails, the peoplemover....

Hotels, shows and parades now seem to have to be character possessive in nature. Disney's this. Mickeys that. Stitches blah blah blah. Yawwwn with Figment. Get a Budget starring The Three Caballeros. This is Getting too Formulaic with Nemo and Friends or Monsters Inc.

It starts to feel like dum-dum time after a while. It's too much of a good thing. It's overkill. Let a quality attraction sell itself.

G00fyDad

Some attractions just shouldn't be changed. Shut them down if need be and rehab them for upkeep but don't change them. I'm talking about attractions like IaSW, PotC, SpaceM, SplashM, etc... I bet one of these days soon we'll see Space Mountain: Presented by Stitch and he'll be everywhere in the ride queue line.

disneyland075

the small world chaterised is cool disneyland it give a game to play to see who can find the most charters from all amited disney flims from pixer to amations flims i fonund peter pan alice cinderlla :veryconfu:veryconfu:veryconfu:veryconfu:xmas::shrug::):ROFLOL:

seattlemousers

My family and I have been on both the DL and WDW versions of SW and really enjoy finding the Disney characters in the DL versions, they are done really well, add to the country represented and they create a well blended story of it being a small world, disney characters included.

My family and I have been on both the DL and WDW versions of SW and really enjoy finding the Disney characters in the DL versions, they are done really well, add to the country represented and they create a well blended story of it being a small world, disney characters included.

Tasteful is the best description I can think of for the DL implementation of characters. It's not overboard and the way in which they were incorporated preserves the design integrity of the attraction IMO. I thought I would hate it but ended up enjoying that aspect of their version.

WishIwasThere

Ok Grizzly, why do you like to fill every thread with something about a thrill. You only did that some of the time under your other profile! :)

Kind of funny how every post by Grizzly Hall is gone and GOOFy is banned. Not sure how hard it is to get banned these days...but I don't miss many of the ones that have been banned. I do miss the ones that have dissappeared over the years like Corus and General Grizz.

MoonMouse1

On a side note-

I was in the Magic Kingdom costuming building a few days ago and in the back corner there were two full racks of what looked like children's clothes. I went to inspect because I was wondering why they had incredibly small costumes in there...and they were the It's A Small World doll costumes! They were all there...the little hula skirts, German, Indian, Eskimo, costumes from the finale room, etc. Each costume had a picture of the doll it goes on attached to it. A few had notes on them for fixing hems and such.

Just thought it was cool to see the costumes up close...and I'm assuming all the dolls are in there naked right now LOL. :)

French Quarter

MoonMouse, that's quite the visual image you have given us. I hope they at least turned the music off and let the dolls stop dancing while they are nude. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom