Small World to be characterized?

muteki

What I never understood about the entrance/exit at IASW is that I thought the point of the last refurb was to allow wheelchair access with the same entrance that everyone else uses. However I don't think I have ever seen it used in that fashion in person, the exit still seems to be used for such things. Is the new refurb going to address this for good this time or is it more thematic FLE centric?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
What I never understood about the entrance/exit at IASW is that I thought the point of the last refurb was to allow wheelchair access with the same entrance that everyone else uses. However I don't think I have ever seen it used in that fashion in person, the exit still seems to be used for such things. Is the new refurb going to address this for good this time or is it more thematic FLE centric?

I think the new refurb is being done with wheelchair and ECV riders in mind. This way, those going in through the current handicapped entrance will no longer have to go "against the grain" to get onto the ride.

muteki

I think the new refurb is being done with wheelchair and ECV riders in mind. This way, those going in through the current handicapped entrance will no longer have to go "against the grain" to get onto the ride.

Wasn't the last refurb supposed to address that?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Wasn't the last refurb supposed to address that?

I think it started off as the intent, but apparently time and money concerns got in the way of their completing the project. But now with the FLE ongoing the need down the road to improve traffic flow will be even greater....

AEfx

I'd love for them to add the characters like Disneyland.

Although a bunch of internet crybabies screamed and moaned about them (like everything else), they are quite nice, totally fit in, and are a very cool addition. Many of them you have to actively look for as well - which is also quite fun.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I was just at DL 3 weeks ago, got to ride IASW out there. I think it is great with the characters. Disney Characters fit perfectly with the theme of IASW. The ride is about bringing together all nations, and disney films do that. It is a shame they won't be added to WDW.

French Quarter

There was a thread here yesterday about this. The general sentiment was that this could either be just a case of shared merchandizing or it could indicate changes to come to Small World. Either way, most people seemed to say that we'll have to just wait and see to find out.

I said on that thread and I'll say here that I would welcome the characters.

AEfx

I was just at DL 3 weeks ago, got to ride IASW out there. I think it is great with the characters. Disney Characters fit perfectly with the theme of IASW. The ride is about bringing together all nations, and disney films do that. It is a shame they won't be added to WDW.

I think they will at some point.

As you said, it really is a nice addition. They fit in very, very well. I think a lot of people who haven't seen it don't understand that the dolls are done in traditional IASW style - not just random cartoon-style characters slapped in. Some of them are quite beautiful.

I too really love how they are in appropriate nations for their story creation, which shows, "Hey, some of these characters have histories that go far beyond their Disney roots", like Mermaid and Aladdin.

They really do make the ride a lot more fun, IMHO - it may be a classic, but sprucing it up with something new and interesting, that FITS IN WITH THE EXISTING ART (do you hear me, George Lucas? LOL), is completely appropriate.

muteki

I've heard that term RFID used on here before. Could you tell me what it means?

Radio Frequency Identification

think of the security tags used in retail stores, key fobs, etc.

Supposedly to be integrated into your KTTW card with personal info for interactive features in rides.

French Quarter

Radio Frequency Identification

think of the security tags used in retail stores, key fobs, etc.

Supposedly to be integrated into your KTTW card with personal info for interactive features in rides.

Oh, wow. That's so cool! (Seems like some privacy issues though?)

muteki

Oh, wow. That's so cool! (Seems like some privacy issues though?)

Yeah that is one of the questions surrounding it, however I don't see how far it can go (at least attraction wise) beyond characters responding with first names or something similar. I am sure there will be a way to opt-out.

French Quarter

Yeah that is one of the questions surrounding it, however I don't see how far it can go (at least attraction wise) beyond characters responding with first names or something similar. I am sure there will be a way to opt-out.

Oh, I totally won't opt out. I think it sounds really frickin' cool. But with privacy laws as they are, I'm sure there was a lot of things to consider. Thanks for the info!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom