small rant about closed attractions (esp. epcot)

listentotheland

Original Poster
as i was watching a home video from epcot circa 1989 i realzied how much the attractions had in terms of art in the queue lines. i am refering mainly to journey into imagination, but i also remember there being great murals in horizons (and i know i am missing countless other attractions). i dont think i could ever knock those walls down knowing that art was there, it would be too gut wrenching for me; the animatronics and sets can at least be taken out. i dont know, just made me angered for a moment, but im better now that i got that out of my system..hahha.

ssidiouss@mac.c

listentotheland said:
as i was watching a home video from epcot circa 1989 i realzied how much the attractions had in terms of art in the queue lines. i am refering mainly to journey into imagination, but i also remember there being great murals in horizons (and i know i am missing countless other attractions). i dont think i could ever knock those walls down knowing that art was there, it would be too gut wrenching for me; the animatronics and sets can at least be taken out. i dont know, just made me angered for a moment, but im better now that i got that out of my system..hahha.

I think the que's of old epcot were awesome. Soarin' has a horrible que to me.. at least the first half anyway. Its just blank walls.. boring.

listentotheland

Original Poster
exactly, using imagination for an example again, the mural that was above the loading area, was a great preview to what was to come; "showing the opening credits to our upcoming movie/adventure." now, you got a 7 foot picture of eric idle (i think the man is hillarious, so i am not knocking him) and what looks like to be some leftover "junk" (yes i know they are props from the original attraction) in a cage and thats really it.
soarin is another great example, tons of space to do something great and keep your senses going, and then built beige walls...
ALSO.....
am i the only person who has noticed attractions dont have great "theme songs" anymore? epcot circa 1989 again, every attraction had a song to accompany it. what ever happened to "walking out of an attraction and not having to whistle the architecture"

ssidiouss@mac.c

listentotheland said:
exactly, using imagination for an example again, the mural that was above the loading area, was a great preview to what was to come; "showing the opening credits to our upcoming movie/adventure." now, you got a 7 foot picture of eric idle (i think the man is hillarious, so i am not knocking him) and what looks like to be some leftover "junk" (yes i know they are props from the original attraction) in a cage and thats really it.
soarin is another great example, tons of space to do something great and keep your senses going, and then built beige walls...
ALSO.....
am i the only person who has noticed attractions dont have great "theme songs" anymore? epcot circa 1989 again, every attraction had a song to accompany it. what ever happened to "walking out of an attraction and not having to whistle the architecture"

I like Soarin's music.. but I know what your talking about... the new que's are poor. Soarin's que (except for the very end) reminds me of a cheap six flaggs ride. Everest should be a better return to disney form.

I agree that Soarin's queue could have been done a lot better. I think that DCA's version's queue is fantastic, with all the pics of airplanes and such, it gave it more of a airplane/glider hangar feel to it.

CBF:xmas:

Brian_B

ssidiouss@mac.c said:
I like Soarin's music.. but I know what your talking about... the new que's are poor. Soarin's que (except for the very end) reminds me of a cheap six flaggs ride. Everest should be a better return to disney form.

You ought to visit a six flags park (great adventure), so you actually know what you're saying.

Gum stuck EVERYWHERE, garbage, puke, NO themeing at all in any way, shape or form - basically a line with a metal shed around it, and no exaggerations.

Soarin' has a very classy, albiet boring, queue.

SilentWindODoom

Actually, I thought the queue to Batman the Ride in Great Adventure was good, and the other Batman was fair, but definitely not up to par with Disney. Muppets has to have the best queue in Disney.

KaliSplash

One of the problems with the Soarin que is the beautiful pictures and quizzes.

People tend to stop and watch the quizzes, and fail to close up that line!!

And yes, there's not much to the line otherwise.

CaptainMichael

CaesarBoxFan said:
I agree that Soarin's queue could have been done a lot better. I think that DCA's version's queue is fantastic, with all the pics of airplanes and such, it gave it more of a airplane/glider hangar feel to it.

CBF:xmas:
And yet, less than 11 months ago people were upset and worried that the Land was going to turn into an airport. I think the Soarin' queue is fine. I love the questions. Remember this Soarin' is not about Aviation, it is about travelling over the land and experiencing its beauty.

Wait till you see Everest's queue, it'll be an attraction in itself.

Laura

Premium Member
Brian_B said:
You ought to visit a six flags park (great adventure), so you actually know what you're saying.

Gum stuck EVERYWHERE, garbage, puke, NO themeing at all in any way, shape or form - basically a line with a metal shed around it, and no exaggerations.

Soarin' has a very classy, albiet boring, queue.

Heeeeeeyyyyy I was gonna say that. :D Except you forgot to mention the vulgar graffiti in the 6 flags queues.

I have never really seen the Soarin' queue. I always fastpass my way through it and never stop to look.

Isn't the Soarin' queue supposed to resemble an airport? Airports are boring, so of course it's not going to be anything all that exciting!

Magister

It's Tough to Be a bug in AK has a great queue, but most people never get to see all the animal stuff since it hardly ever gets backed up log enough to snake around to the displays. I recommend anyone who hasn't done it yet, to walk around that area. Lots of real animals there that just get ignored.

Epcot82Guy

I do agree that the loss of artwork is sad. Some of the new queues have been very nice. However, others have been lacking. I think there is a trend back toward imaginative versions (I personally like Soarin' - I think having a painted entry mural would be outstanding, though (especially with the simplistic hangglider icon they have).

I do understand that artwork done in a "modern" setting takes a lot of maintenance and runs the risk of getting outdated. So, there is a "business" reason since the painting maintenance budget got slashed so dramatically a few years ago.

dumboflyer

M:S has a great queue (just being in the line raises my anxiety level!!!).

Test Track has a good queue. Lots to see.

The Land has a great queue with the quotes about earth from kids and famous people on the wall. BUT bring back the John-Denver-esque "Listen to the Land" song----it ROCKED!

The Seas: The pavillion sucks, but the curvey, S queue that was there was neat (don't know about now with remodeling).

DAK's 'tough to be a bug': The queue rocks----I almost WISH there was a line so I could look at all the animals more!!! :)

dumboflyer

SOARIN!!!! Their queue is weird and seems unfinished. The big murals with the trivia are neat but that is only part of the queue. They make it seem like you're about to enter something GRANDIOUS (you are!!).

The rest seems unfinished and seems some help. BEIGE walls? What were they thinking? BLUE track lighting? You've gotta be kidding? Granted it is airport-like but it seems.....SOMETHING.

Also, the queue line itself is too wide. Perfect for weird people to try to cut.

Expo_Seeker40

EPCOT Center, as much as I love and miss it, didn't really have that many great queues, atleast in future world. Spaceship Earth was a simple queue, but I think being under the sphere and EPCOT Center's once beautiful entrance made the queue something more than it is today.

Universe of Energy is nothing special.:lol:

Horizons did have a nice queue, especially at the exit with the prisms.

World of Motion's queue was chrome and carpet. :drevil:

I think the original Journey into Imagination had a beautiful queue. :wave:

listentotheland

Original Poster
yes i have been to six flags and there is nothing that compares to waiting under a steel roof with no walls, just the support beams to get me geared up for an attraction...haha
believe me, im not trying to say that everything is terrible and they should do things the way they were. as we all know, the awaiting everest que is suppose to be equal to the attraction itself.
could it be because disney is entertaining a new generation that is very fast pace orriented, that doesnt reallly stop to look at the detail, that they have realzied this and simplified some queue's?
i'm probably wrong and will be told so by 15 people, but its just what i thought of throughout the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom