Small Brush Fire after Illuminations

degunter

Original Poster
So this was a first for me. Immediately following the Holiday Tag on Illuminations, I noticed something burning on one of the islands.... specifically the island directly in front of Japan. Within seconds it spread to about triple its original size and the crew rushed over in their boats to take care of it. They had it under control and out with 5-10 minutes.

I had never seen this happen before, but am not surprised that it happened. How often does this happen?

They did not seem to have any way to fight the fire at first. It looked like the guy driving the boat was doing 360's trying to splash water up on it...???

MythBuster

So this was a first for me. Immediately following the Holiday Tag on Illuminations, I noticed something burning on one of the islands.... specifically the island directly in front of Japan. Within seconds it spread to about triple its original size and the crew rushed over in their boats to take care of it. They had it under control and out with 5-10 minutes.

I had never seen this happen before, but am not surprised that it happened. How often does this happen?

They did not seem to have any way to fight the fire at first. It looked like the guy driving the boat was doing 360's trying to splash water up on it...???

This happens quite often, at least about couple times a month. They try to keep the brush down on the islands to keep down a real big fire.

crazydaveh

It's the dry season here. There was hardly any wind last night around Otown. This just shows how the smallest ash can spark up something.

Anytime there are fireworks, there's a possibility of this taking place. Disney knows it as well as anyone else who puts on a show.

Glad the Disney people took care of it.

BRER STITCH

Yeah...this happened last week a couple times on the island in front of Norway/China too!

We laughed that the high-tech way they handled it was by filling a bucket with water from the lagoon and carrying it over to the flames! HAHA! :lol:

If I saw it twice in one week, it must happen more often than I had imagined!

EPCOT Explorer

Good.I hate those islands.:fork:
:eek:

In reality, that's pretty serious.They should remove them on the fact that they block the view and now that they are a fire hazard.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Good.I hate those islands.:fork:
:eek:

In reality, that's pretty serious.They should remove them on the fact that they block the view and now that they are a fire hazard.

Even if the fire was to burn uncontrolled, it really wouldn't be a hazard. :shrug:

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Even with it not being a real hazard as it is stuck on the island, I guess Im kinda surprised one of the boats doesnt have a small electrical pump and a garden hose at least. Wouldnt take much effort or money to hook something like that up.

bgraham34

I wish you had some pictures. Also does anyone know if its true that they went the roofs of the pavillions for Illuminations.

degunter

Original Poster
Sprinklers on Millenium Village

I wish you had some pictures. Also does anyone know if its true that they went the roofs of the pavillions for Illuminations.

I remember back in the day, they had sprinklers on the roof of Millenium Village as a precaution.

Sorry about not having photos. The one time I did not bring my camera.... I get into Spaceship Earth and then the small fire. I was over by Italy initially and only had my camera phone.... by the time I got to Japan, I did not really have a great view and most of it had burned out or been put out by then.

DisneySam

I have never seen that happen! Like Disney always is, at least they were prepared.

I have seen a bird of some sort go down after the Illuminations Finale...:lookaroun

I think i read somewhere before that the purpose of the islands has something to do with the reflections of the lasers. I cant remember though but thats why they are there.

hpyhnt 1000

I think i read somewhere before that the purpose of the islands has something to do with the reflections of the lasers. I cant remember though but thats why they are there.

Yeah, I think thats right. I know a couple of times when I saw the show you could see the lasers being reflected off of mirrors in the lagoon. Sometimes before the show starts you'll see them lining the lasers up with these mirrors on the islands.

jedimaster1227

We were all at the Torii Gate in Japan for Lou Mongello's meet at Mousefest when this happened... The funny thing was that we joked about seeing a thread exactly like this within 24 hours of the fire. I was right! :lol:

prberk

We were all at the Torii Gate in Japan for Lou Mongello's meet at Mousefest when this happened... The funny thing was that we joked about seeing a thread exactly like this within 24 hours of the fire. I was right! :lol:

What did we do before the Internet? :lol: How about have a life! :lookaroun :lol:

jedimaster1227

What did we do before the Internet? :lol: How about have a life! :lookaroun :lol:

According to TNT's interpretation of creation of the modern computer it came down to two sides of the equation, much like it is today:

Mac vs. PC (1970s)
Creative Users without Macs
  • Wore strong beards and mustaches to fight “The Man”
  • Worked 72 hours straight on Basic language programs
  • “Borrowed” Xerox’s GUI to beat Intel

Jealous Users without MS-DOS
  • Drove to Albuquerque to develop a new OS
  • Worked 24 hours in sweaty shirts deciphering Basic reel language
  • “Borrowed” Apple’s GUI to beat Apple
I hope somebody gets my reference, especially considering how you I am to recall this... :lol:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nah - Lasers wern`t introduced until 1984s New World Fantasy. The Islands just look pretty, and were found to make great places to bounce lasers off of. I`m not even sure IllumiNations bounced the beams off of them (pre 25a and b anyway)

JShkNBak

I was there a couple of years ago standing outside of Italy and a firework that was supposed to shoot out the top of one of the pilars or something went array and hit someone..."suits" were coming out of the woodwork! I dont know if I was more in shock from the firework or watching workers come out from places I didnt think they could come out of!

WDW Monorail

I was there a couple of years ago standing outside of Italy and a firework that was supposed to shoot out the top of one of the pilars or something went array and hit someone..."suits" were coming out of the woodwork! I dont know if I was more in shock from the firework or watching workers come out from places I didnt think they could come out of!

Eh, pillar as in the tower or the columns? Or maybe you mean the posts in the lagoon.
Devices are never shot over guests. The closest the launch sites are to guests is about 15 ft in front of the prominade. These are known as sea-wall launchers.
Said launchers tend to scare the socks off of unexpecting guests but I've never heard of one launching "backwards" in to the crowd. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom