Slightly Disappoined

yfd326

My family and I recently went to Disney World Jan 8th 2009 to Jan. 20th 2009. Had a great time at all the theme parks, always do. My wife gave me a 40th birthday present on the Disney Wonder for a 3 day cruise. This had great accomodations onboard with a large bed and a verranda to walk out on. We were under way when we started to notice the ammenities were slightly lower than what we experienced on another cruise line. It statrted with simple things such as the decor. It is very simple and not "glittsy" or as fancy as the others. Other things were incidental problems that one would take for granted, but still makes you notice. This is the food areas don't offer metal utencils and real napkins like other cruise lines. I have seen the others use pre rolled metal knives forks and spoons wraped in real napkins. Disney only offered plastic cuttlery and no napkins readily available. Ok.. small things do make me notice but it adds up after a while. On the last day we were scheduled to have an 8am breakfast before we disembarked. We got there at 8:15. We were told the they are not seating anymore. Our assigned table was set and waiting but we were still denied seating. We were taken back by this revelation and decided to venture to another dinning room in case the manager was more accomodating. Again denied. We were not even given the option or offer the possibility of a buffet breakfast in the buffet line someplace. At this point we were very miffed and didn't see the need to stay onboard.
Don't get me wrong, I love Disney and their parks. I think the vast majority af their cast members are top knotch and are second to none. I did get great service by our nightly wait staff and cabin staff. The shows are teriffic and enjoyed going to them.
Unfortunately I would give the Disney Cruise that I went on a "C".:(

Signed, Still a Disney fan, land not sea

BrerMouse

I have been on one Disney and two Carnival cruises. I am a life long Disney fan all 21 years, 15 visits. But the difference in prices are very hard to make up in my opinion. I did notice the plastic silverware on Disney in the same areas that Carnival has metal. But while overall Disney has possibly the most beautiful cruise ships on the water. The difference in prices, sometime as much as two and half times more, has just in my opinion do not make up for the difference. Both Carnival cruises i have been on have been quite enjoyable, not to crowded. Disney is the leader for on land vacations but there is only so many Disney touches that can be incorporated into one cruise ship. :shrug:

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

We went on The Disney Wonder last April.. For a 4 nite cruise , The ship itself is to me beautiful, has that old time cruise ship charm, the castmembers great and we loved our Waiters they went above and beyond with our girls ....The food to me was ok , the pancakes and waffles were different(anyone else try them?) But to me the food was ok...WE have been on Royal Carribean before so to compare the two you really can't. The cabins are definatly great in size, we loved the separate bathrooms.. Great for a family of 4..We never got to make it to Castaway Cay , being it was much to windy after many attempts by the captain to get us there ..So instead they liquored us up (they had tables set up with castmembers with free drinks)..
Overall we had a great time (fireworks on the ship were pretty cool as well) Would we do it again?..Well the price would have to come down that for us we could not get over...(we paid almost $5,000, yes I know its DIsney but still.)
Next april were going on Freedom of the Seas (Royal carribean ) For two rooms one being a balcony for 7 days it was $ 5,000 , For Disney Cruise line for 1 room at 7 days ....$14,000......Somwehow just could not justify that!!!
But we are glad that we had the opportunity for our family to try it!

Upvote 0

DisneyMusician2

As someone who as worked as an agent, Disney is WAY overpriced for the product they put out there on their cruise business.

Carnival can be great, although I know some that come back disapointed.

If you are looking for more glitz and glamor, I think Princess is the best cruise product on the market.

For a younger crowd, Carnival and NCL both offer great options.

Just an opinion.

Upvote 0

DisneyMusician2

we're going on a disney cruise in dec and had thought about maybe a royal caribbean next time - until I looked at some of the letters on this site. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/cruises.html

sure some of the letters are from people that didn't follow instructions or read about restrictions, but theres way too many complaints on carnival and royal caribbean to be a fluke.

Princess is the way to go. NCL is a little pricey, but also a good option. There are other great lines depending on your age and expectations. If I could help in any way, send a PM.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Celebrity is one of the highest rated cruiselines out there right now. I would highly suggest them if you are looking to do a different line next time. I would not suggest NCL since this cruiseline is the one that I hear the most complaints about.

If you need any help please feel free to contact me.

Pam

Upvote 0

scarpiapiano

DCL's biggest problem in offering alot of value is simply that they haven't built as big of a fleet as the other big 6 cruiselines have. When you have fewer berths to fill, you don't have to give the steep discounts that other cruise companies offer.

No one is a bigger Disney fan then I am, however, no one shops for a deal like I do. There are some things that are unique to a Disney Cruise i.e. the Disney stage shows, the characters, the changing dining room at Animators Palette etc. But when you can go to the same destinations on any other cruiseline, I can't think of a compelling reason to do a Disney Cruise.

BTW - The Unofficial Guide to Cruises classifies the 6 cruiselines in two catagories -

Standard -

Carnival
Royal Caribbean
Norwegian

Premium -

Holland America
Celebrity
Princess

Each of these lines has strengths and weaknesses. Furthermore, not all ships in a cruiseline are created equal. But all of these cruiselines can be a terrific value for a vacation. All of these cruiselines offer deeply discounted fares if you book early enough. Sadly, DCL does not. Therefore, when we finally take our first cruise (I'm really weird. I know all this info but I've never taken a cruise yet!) I'll be going on another cruiseline.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom