Slightly Disappoined

yfd326

My family and I recently went to Disney World Jan 8th 2009 to Jan. 20th 2009. Had a great time at all the theme parks, always do. My wife gave me a 40th birthday present on the Disney Wonder for a 3 day cruise. This had great accomodations onboard with a large bed and a verranda to walk out on. We were under way when we started to notice the ammenities were slightly lower than what we experienced on another cruise line. It statrted with simple things such as the decor. It is very simple and not "glittsy" or as fancy as the others. Other things were incidental problems that one would take for granted, but still makes you notice. This is the food areas don't offer metal utencils and real napkins like other cruise lines. I have seen the others use pre rolled metal knives forks and spoons wraped in real napkins. Disney only offered plastic cuttlery and no napkins readily available. Ok.. small things do make me notice but it adds up after a while. On the last day we were scheduled to have an 8am breakfast before we disembarked. We got there at 8:15. We were told the they are not seating anymore. Our assigned table was set and waiting but we were still denied seating. We were taken back by this revelation and decided to venture to another dinning room in case the manager was more accomodating. Again denied. We were not even given the option or offer the possibility of a buffet breakfast in the buffet line someplace. At this point we were very miffed and didn't see the need to stay onboard.
Don't get me wrong, I love Disney and their parks. I think the vast majority af their cast members are top knotch and are second to none. I did get great service by our nightly wait staff and cabin staff. The shows are teriffic and enjoyed going to them.
Unfortunately I would give the Disney Cruise that I went on a "C".:(

Signed, Still a Disney fan, land not sea

disney4life2008

My family and I recently went to Disney World Jan 8th 2009 to Jan. 20th 2009. Had a great time at all the theme parks, always do. My wife gave me a 40th birthday present on the Disney Wonder for a 3 day cruise. This had great accomodations onboard with a large bed and a verranda to walk out on. We were under way when we started to notice the ammenities were slightly lower than what we experienced on another cruise line. It statrted with simple things such as the decor. It is very simple and not "glittsy" or as fancy as the others. Other things were incidental problems that one would take for granted, but still makes you notice. This is the food areas don't offer metal utencils and real napkins like other cruise lines. I have seen the others use pre rolled metal knives forks and spoons wraped in real napkins. Disney only offered plastic cuttlery and no napkins readily available. Ok.. small things do make me notice but it adds up after a while. On the last day we were scheduled to have an 8am breakfast before we disembarked. We got there at 8:15. We were told the they are not seating anymore. Our assigned table was set and waiting but we were still denied seating. We were taken back by this revelation and decided to venture to another dinning room in case the manager was more accomodating. Again denied. We were not even given the option or offer the possibility of a buffet breakfast in the buffet line someplace. At this point we were very miffed and didn't see the need to stay onboard.
Don't get me wrong, I love Disney and their parks. I think the vast majority af their cast members are top knotch and are second to none. I did get great service by our nightly wait staff and cabin staff. The shows are teriffic and enjoyed going to them.
Unfortunately I would give the Disney Cruise that I went on a "C".:(

Signed, Still a Disney fan, land not sea

I agree with you. The Disney Cruise Line is a great service - however, it is VERY OVERPRICED - I would expect everything to be perfect. I am sticking with Carnival!

Upvote 0

rkelly42

I agree with both of you... the cruise is great but there are a lot of kinks. I would rather spend my whole time in the parks and take a cruise with another company. But that is just my opinion and I am sure there are millions of people out there that love it and that is great for them, its just that its not for me.

Upvote 0

disneyragazzo

I sailed on the Disney Magic last January (08), and found some of the same things... I had sailed previously on Norwiegan and on Celebrity, and found that in general the experience on Disney wasn't quite up to the same standards. Overall it was an enjoyable experience, but it felt crowded, especially in the public areas around meal times. Food was OK, but not anything to get excited about (other than at Palo's, which was wonderful... and what I would expect all the time on other cruise lines). We were traveling without kids, which put in a minority, and while we found some comfortable adult areas (the pool, the spa/fitness center, and the piano bar), I was surprised just how many school-aged kids were there.

On the plus side... the ship was always spotless, there were many signs of the ingenuity of Disney imagineering, and the entertainment was phenomenal. Only Disney could pull off fireworks at sea!

I'm a DVC member, and we used points for the cruise, so I can't really judge the value, but having seen the prices, and the lack of discounts available, I can see what you mean. I'm leaving in a few weeks for the Caribbean... this time on Holland America. I expect that we'll have the opposite experience. We could be the youngest people on board (and I'm 40).

Upvote 0

disneytopdog

I'm leaving in a few weeks for the Caribbean... this time on Holland America. I expect that we'll have the opposite experience. We could be the youngest people on board (and I'm 40).[/quote]

My co-workers wife is a travel agent and all she does is crusies. He has gotten to tag along with her on all the lines. He joked that Holland America only serves embalming fluid on board, and its lights out at 6p.

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

They have counter serve on the cruise line? :veryconfu

Well yes! Of course that's probably not what they would call it, it's just what I called it.:lol:

I meant deck 9 where they have self serve ice cream, pizza, Goofy's Galley which serves fruit, wraps and paninis, Pinocchios Pizzeria and Pluto's dogs.

You walk up to the counter and tell them what you want and they give it to you. So I called it counter service. :)

I would assume they are concerned about people throwing away the silverware when they're not in a restaurant.

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

I can't really say I've had the same experience, but I am very sorry that you were disappointed yfd326.

I have only been on the Disney cruise line, but I've traveled with three different families that greatly preferred Disney to the Carnival cruises they went on.

You can see from my trip report from a few weeks ago how much I love Disney cruises. You can also see several pictures of the ship.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=392959

Upvote 0

Cubs Brian

We have been on a few different cruise lines. First we have 2 boys 9&5 myself 44 and DW age unknown, 2times on Disney enjoyed every minute but is rather expensive.Carnival once(almost twice till they left us high and dry during Hurricane Wilma) and RCCL once. Our all around rankings:

1-RCCl

2-Disney

300- Carnival- rather be on Tom Hank's raft in Castaway than sail Carnival again.

Upvote 0

PaintTheSky

I rather enjoyed my Disney Cruise, however that was seven years ago and I have nothing else to compare. Perhaps they don't use fancy silverware because they don't want people stealing it? :lol: On the other hand, might be 'greener' to provide utensils that are reusable...

Upvote 0

yfd326

Original Poster
No no

im suprised they use plastic silverware. even at the nicer dinning areas? why is this?

They use real silverware in the dining rooms. They only use plastic in the walk up areas outside. My point was that if someone can roll up metal cuttlery in real napkins on other ships...why not Disney. It cheapens the effect in my opinion.

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

They use real silverware in the dining rooms. They only use plastic in the walk up areas outside. My point was that if someone can roll up metal cuttlery in real napkins on other ships...why not Disney. It cheapens the effect in my opinion.
I think I would rather have plastic for CS. No worry about throwing away forks and finding the extra deposit spot.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom