Sleeping Wife and Daughter. Who deals with this?

MIKETFROMRI

Original Poster
Use to be that our mornings in disney would start by leaving the rooms for breakfast or to a park by 7am latest. Even when the kids were really young, we would all be up and out. NOW..our last trip with me/the dw and dd (19) they would sleep till like 9am and not be out of the room until 9:30-10am..DROVE ME NUTS!!! I m up by 7 and ready to go by 7:30 tops. Can't stand just hanging in the room waiting for them. I have to get out..most time go get coffee and paper and read at food court ( POFQ) by then its like 8:30..NOW WHAT?....I go to the park and just people watch, stroll the stores,go n People Mover over and over and over...or watch Walt's story in HS...in any case, do any other dads/husbands deal with this? I just feel you can sleep till 9-10am at HOME..NOT AT DISNEY...BUT I'm not stupid and NEVER brought it up to them because in 26 years of marriage I have learned I'M NOT GOING TO WIN!

powlessfamily4

Forget that I say you declare Solo Mornings!! Let them sleep and you go do what you want. Ride the rides you enjoy. Why should you mope around all morning doing nothing?

BTW - I am a female who has been married for 26 years and my husband does the same thing. He hits the parks at 10:00 AM and is ready to be done for the day by 3:00 PM. I let him go back to the room and we meet up again for dinner. GO HAVE FUN!

Since1976

Been there, but I do recall one trip to MK where I wished we hadn't gone so early.

It was an Extra Magic Hours evening where MK was open later, until 3AM, and I was aiming to get in as soon as the park opened, so we could maximize our park time. I could not rouse the wife and kids until 15 minutes before MK's opening time. We had a brief argument about sticking to the plan, but we got over it real quick and were in the park within an hour.

Cut to 11PM that evening. I was TIRED. So tired that I could not even keep my eyes open during Peter Pan's Flight. The wife and kids? Awake as if they'd downed a keg of coffee. Me, I seriously just wanted to go to bed. But it was EMH, and we had 4 hours to go, and my wife wanted to take advantage of the park being so empty.

So I slogged through the rest of the night, barely conscious and aching for sleep! Seriously, I may have ridden Dumbo once or twice, but I do not remember it at all!

To this day I cannot believe that happened, where I just wanted to get out of the park already.

bigkidz895

Man: "The best laid plans..."
Woman: "Are meant to be broken, now let me sleep!"
Man: "But we spent over $2,000 to come and take it all in, doesn't it make sense to maximize our time?"
Woman: "Yes. ...but not before 9:00am."

WDWmazprty

Man: "The best laid plans..."
Woman: "Are meant to be broken, now let me sleep!"
Man: "But we spent over $2,000 to come and take it all in, doesn't it make sense to maximize our time?"
Woman: "Yes. ...but not before 9:00am."

Vacation planning fail!:lol:

MarkTwain

Nothing wrong with sleeping in a little on vacation, IMO. ;) We always would rather get to the parks a little later so we can be refreshed and awake, and then enjoy the park til closing without wishing we could nap (It's how I've enjoyed American Adventure and Universe of Energy so many times :lol:).

Usually we'll sleep in to around 9 - 10am, eat breakfast in the room (DVC Villa), hammer out a plan for the day, and then get ready and showered. I doubt we've ever gotten to a park before 10am in recent years. :lookaroun But since we tend to take advantage of evening EMH wherever we plan on going, we can still usually do everything we hoped to and then some.

To each their own, I guess. :)

WDW John

I run into that too

On a week trip to Disney I'm lucky if I can get my wife out the door by 8 just one day. Usually we aren't having breakfast until about 9-9:30. At first I was frustrated but now I'm alright. She likes to sleep late on vacation. Usually during the week she has to be up early so if she can take it easy that's fine. Especially considering that at WDW the days are not usually laid back.

So I came up with a simple solution. Once a year I vacation with my wife at Disney World and about 6 months later my high school buddy and I spend a week there. He has the same sleep late/go slow issue with his wife so was quick to hop on board with my plan.

There is nothing like it. We have a great time when it's just the two of us. We set an alarm, wake up, 1 of us showers (the other showers the night before), grab a quick breakfast in our room, brush our teeth and hit the parks. We generally make rope drop every day (it helps that we stay at Beach Club or Boardwalk). You can probably guess that neither of us has to spend much time with our hair (mine is too short to comb) and we spend zero time applying makeup :) .

That isn't to say I DON'T have a great time with my wife, it's just different. The best part is that she understands and fully supports my trip without her.

Try that and see how it works for you.

fractal

Last trip, my wife and my two teenagers slept in almost every day - sometimes until 10-11am! ( they never did this when they were younger ).

I was always up bright and early and made sure everybody knew it. I also told them I was heading out and anybody that wanted to go with me better get up and get ready.

My 10 year old daughter was usually the only one that did.

If she didn't go with me I was prepared to go alone with my camera. :)

real mad hatter

Up and at em!

Here's your choices.No1 get an alarm clock that gives off a fire alarm sound. No2 buy a wind up toy of remy from Ratatoullie and let it go across the room at 6.45 am.No3 Get up as usual and leave them a note saying " zippa dee do dah".:lol:

Haha you sound like my dad! Every year I say "I'm going to get up early and do everything we planned!" then I find myself sleeping until noon. I've learned to plan around my sleeping habits and take advantage of the evening extra magic hours since I'm more of a night owl. Although I did make a 7:30 Chef Mickey reservation this year, so I'm being forced to wake up :lol:

PolynesianPrincess

I travel with my mom and sister and we're usually all up at 7 and out the door by 8. I shower the night before because my hair takes forever to dry. So in the AM all I need to do is get up, style my hair (aka straighten it) put on a little make up, get dressed and grab a quick breakfast and we're good to go.

However, our timeshare is off property and in November of 2010 my mother and I went with my aunt, her two kids and her sons g/f. We had one van. Auntie never wanted to get to the parks until 10-11 and wanted to leave early. And since we had one vehicle that meant Mom and I had to do what she wanted to do. It was terrible :(

The way I look at it, it's Disney. Get up, get moving and enjoy!! If I wanted to sleep in, relax and take naps, I'd have gone to a beach resort with a cabana boy to fan me and bring me drinks all day :)

WDWmazprty

I travel with my mom and sister and we're usually all up at 7 and out the door by 8. I shower the night before because my hair takes forever to dry. So in the AM all I need to do is get up, style my hair (aka straighten it) put on a little make up, get dressed and grab a quick breakfast and we're good to go.

However, our timeshare is off property and in November of 2010 my mother and I went with my aunt, her two kids and her sons g/f. We had one van. Auntie never wanted to get to the parks until 10-11 and wanted to leave early. And since we had one vehicle that meant Mom and I had to do what she wanted to do. It was terrible :(

The way I look at it, it's Disney. Get up, get moving and enjoy!! If I wanted to sleep in, relax and take naps, I'd have gone to a beach resort with a cabana boy to fan me and bring me drinks all day :)

Exactly! everything except the cabana boy thing :lookaroun:D

Theres no way I can come to Disney World and sleep in! I can do that at home or on another type of vacation. Thats just me. Like I've said before, different strokes for different folks I guess.

ddbowdoin

definitely would be a solo morning for me... I am such an early riser. This past trip we had a 9AM to 3AM marathon EMH hours and I was still up at 7 the next morning. I can sleep at home, Disney is my time of the year to just go 100MPH all day.

ddbowdoin

I would have stayed and asked my mom to pick me up later... F that lol

ddbowdoin

Been there, but I do recall one trip to MK where I wished we hadn't gone so early.

It was an Extra Magic Hours evening where MK was open later, until 3AM, and I was aiming to get in as soon as the park opened, so we could maximize our park time. I could not rouse the wife and kids until 15 minutes before MK's opening time. We had a brief argument about sticking to the plan, but we got over it real quick and were in the park within an hour.

Cut to 11PM that evening. I was TIRED. So tired that I could not even keep my eyes open during Peter Pan's Flight. The wife and kids? Awake as if they'd downed a keg of coffee. Me, I seriously just wanted to go to bed. But it was EMH, and we had 4 hours to go, and my wife wanted to take advantage of the park being so empty.

So I slogged through the rest of the night, barely conscious and aching for sleep! Seriously, I may have ridden Dumbo once or twice, but I do not remember it at all!

To this day I cannot believe that happened, where I just wanted to get out of the park already.

DUDE! May of 2011 this year... 3AM, I remember falling asleep in the que of SM at like 230AM and I was a champion! Seriously, the greatest experience of my adult life to this day... 9AM to 3AM MK. It's weird to say that because I have been to some amazing places and done some amazing things, but I honestly felt like I accomplished something, sad I know...

DizneyPryncess

I am not a morning person, neither is DH. If it weren't for our newborn, or work, we'd sleep til noon. I keep waiting to grow out of that college phase, but it's just not happening. We love sleep. But then we set foot in WDW, and something changes. Suddenly it's like we become morning people, and can't wait to get up & get going. I chalk it up to Disney magic. And if DH wasn't like this, you'd better believe I'd be out strolling around my resort looking for hidden mickey's or something. :)

njDizFan

It drives me absolutely insane. I love getting up early for vacation. so much to do so little time. I was never a morning person but eventually(sometime in my early 30's) everything changed. Now I actually like getting an early start to the day.:eek:

Especially on vacation. Most of the time I am up, showered, coffeed, dressed, packed and ready to go long before anyone else is up. I would love to tget to the parks at opening but alas it almost always ends up being 10-11.

My past trip I tried something new, I scheduled a bunch of early ADRs for breakfast which forced the wife out the door a little earlier. In a way it worked but the backlash was trying to rouse her and scramble around and rush to the park in time just to be 15 minutes late. It made for a not so pleasant early morning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom