Sleeping Beauty Castle in DL

J

joviacdan

Original Poster
Just curios, this I guess would only be for anyone who's been to Disneyland after going to Disney World.

Does seeing Sleeping Beauty Castle feel at all like a letdown compared to Cinderella Castle? Everytime I see a picture of it online or on TV, I just can't get over how much nicer Cinderella's is.

Nothing against DL's castle as it is much older, but I think I would be really missing DW walking down Main Street and seeing that castle in DL.:cry:

Lhriangel

Maybe it's cause I grew up with this castle but I don't think it's a let down at all. It's just different. yes it is a little smaller but (when it's open) it has this beautiful display that tells the story of sleeping beauty.

WDWhumanmap

ONE BIG QUESTION???

WHO SRUNK THE CASTLE??? and my family and i didn't get the answer yet. everything is much smaller there including the castle there also is no resturant in it.

J

joviacdan

Original Poster
No kidding?

I may have to go out there sometime to experience Disneyland. I'm always afraid if I do, I would be so let down.

M. Racer

I'read somewhere that DL's castle is only one third the height of WDW's Mk castle. I suppose DL's Tinkerbell gets one third the pay of her Orlando counterpart.:lol:

dizneeboy

yeah, the first time I saw DL's I couldn't believe how much smaller it appeared, but, it fits perfect and has its own charm. I still think DLP has the best out of the different styles.

J

joviacdan

Original Poster
I actually kind of resent the fact that Tokyo's castle is basically the exact same thing as DW's castle. Couldn't they have come up with something of their own?

imagineerfan

I visited WDW three times before I visited Disneyland, and I didnt think that the castle was a let-down at all. Just a different experience that had the same Disney feel. If that makes any sense :)

RPMdfw

When I went in November I actually said out loud "It's so dinky!". Which made several people around us laugh (and my BF blush)

I knew it was smaller, but it's SO DINKY! I remembered it being much bigger (of course in 1981 I was much smaller.)

I couldn't get over it. It's only about two stories tall (height wise).

It is beautiful, and nicely detailed.

But it's SO DINKY!

See, I still can't get over it.

cherrynegra

Somebody should start a poll to see who has the prettiest castle. I've seen DL's and MK's and my vote between the two is with MK. But I hear the DLP has the prettiest castle of them all. Might be interesting to see what HK's castle will look like.

SewIn2Disney

Walt wanted it small because he didn't want it intimadating (sp?) to younger children. He wanted it to be a small, friendly, inviting castle. I don't think it is a let down at all.

Expo_Seeker40

Sleaping Beauty's Castle is petitie, but charming. I think it was also small due to financial costs during the 1950s. It has a nice walk through attraction, and peaceful setting. One thing I wonder about the castle is why it doesn't look anything like the one pictured in the animated film. Even on a small scale it doesn't look like it.

Cinderella's Castle is elegant, and graceful. It is like an idealistic castle, but it too is nothing like the one in the animated film. In the animated film there was a huge clock tower, too bad that doesn't exist, and chime.

Disneyland Paris has a very elvaorate caslte. Very detailed.

Disneyland Tokyo is similar to the one in WDW.

Soon to be Disneyland Hong Kong will actually have a similar castle to disneyland california.

Tigggrl

After 7 years of seeing "my" castle at WDW...when I mad my first trip to DL, I walked into the park anticipating the Sleeping Beauty Castle...
And ROYALLY laughed hysterically!:lol:
I am used to it now, but now and forever, Cinderellas Castle will always be "mine" and Sleeping Beauty Castle will be Cals...
Also, the monorail here is a definate mini rail..I always call it that...

eclipseSD

Some of us actually don't prefer, but equate the look and feel of Disneyland's Main Street and Castle to that of WDW's.

Sleeping Beauty is a nice, charming, inviting castle that asks us to come through its gates. Cinderella Castle is this huge beautiful structure which looms aboves us and doesn't ask, but commands us to enter.

Disneyland carries me back to the 1950's, when Walt walked this very land and personally designed, constructed, and completed his land. That is the castle Walt strolled through early in the morning and late at night.

Though, Walt did finish the design for the Magic Kingdom on his hospital room ceiling the day before he died; so Cinderella Castle and the whole park really is the last vision of Walt's to be carried out fully (EPCOT was mutilated.)

However, Sleeping Beauty Castle has one giant advantage over Cinderella's:

It was never demasculated on an anniversary, and turned into a vile pink and yellow birthday cake. That sickening image has been engraved in my mind since I saw the castle violated in 1997, and I may never be able to think of Cindy's Castle without that cake tampering with my mind.

CastleCake.jpg

pb280010.jpg

The choice is pretty clear folks.

BTW Disneyland at Christmas > WDW at Christmas

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by M. Racer
I'read somewhere that DL's castle is only one third the height of WDW's Mk castle. I suppose DL's Tinkerbell gets one third the pay of her Orlando counterpart.:lol:

Sleeping Beauty Castle at DL is 77 feet tall.

The Matterhorn (the tallest structure in DL) is 140 feet tall.

Cinderella's Castle is something in the neighborhood of 180 feet tall, I believe.

I grew up with DL and never gave much thought to how small the Castle was...until I saw WDW's. Now, whenever I go to DL, I always think of the Castle as slightly bigger than one at a miniature golf course.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by joviacdan
I actually kind of resent the fact that Tokyo's castle is basically the exact same thing as DW's castle. Couldn't they have come up with something of their own?

Who were you assuming "came up with" the design for the Castle in Tokyo? It's not like the Oriental Land Company designs the attractions.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Expo_Seeker40
Sleaping Beauty's Castle is petitie, but charming. I think it was also small due to financial costs during the 1950s. It has a nice walk through attraction, and peaceful setting. One thing I wonder about the castle is why it doesn't look anything like the one pictured in the animated film. Even on a small scale it doesn't look like it.

Cinderella's Castle is elegant, and graceful. It is like an idealistic castle, but it too is nothing like the one in the animated film. In the animated film there was a huge clock tower, too bad that doesn't exist, and chime.

Disneyland Paris has a very elvaorate caslte. Very detailed.

Disneyland Tokyo is similar to the one in WDW.

Soon to be Disneyland Hong Kong will actually have a similar castle to disneyland california.

DLP's is really the only castle that resembles it's animated film counterpart. Although the others are named for Disney princesses, I don't think they were ever necessarily intended to be representative of what the castles in their films looked like. From what I've read, Walt didn't really care all that much about the semantics of what the castle would be called. He even referred to the DL Castle as "Snow White's Castle" in a DL TV special once.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom