Skyway Station Area Redesign

Tom

Beta Return
I'm working on an overlay right now....stay tuned.

Nevermind, I can't get the plan and image from Google to line up in Photoshop. I'm too tired to try any harder.

The image SeaCastle posted provides enough information anyway. Open the area in Google Map/Earth and find the HM and Small World buildings and you'll be able to see where all of this is going.

The new path will go behind Yankee Trader and come out near the HM queue entrance, across from the old keel boat station. There will a large courtyard with water features where the stroller parking is now. The new buildings will essentially sit where the Skyway Station is now.

It will really open up the area and allow MUCH more traffic to pass through from FL to LibSq.

WDWfanatic89

Well, that just DISGUSTS ME. That Skyway station is so beautiful and fits in so nicely with the area. Why do they have to knock it down. They could easily use the existing structure and add and move walls around to make it work. It makes me sad to see this thing go. I was hoping to contact management to get in there (yes, its been done) and get some awesome shots for a project I'm working on. I need those pictures, but won't be able to get them as I'm only going down there in May. :hammer: I'm sure by then it'll be halfway done into bathrooms. :fork:

I hate it when they make changes like this. Replace beautiful with toilets. UGH :shrug:

But I mustn't get too angry as no official plans have been released. But if they do level the top of that building it will be sad. Its just so pretty. Last remnants of a Fantasyland that was. It's changing so much. I'm surprised IASW hasn't been demolished (insert sarcasm here) :ROFLOL:

As much as I'm anxious to see the new expansion of Fantasyland, I hate the fact that their now gonna demo 2 original 1971 attractions (Skyway & SWSA). Here they are celebrating 40 years and they're getting rid of 40 year old buildings. Kinda ironic. :eek:

SeaCastle

Original Poster
Well, that just DISGUSTS ME. That Skyway station is so beautiful and fits in so nicely with the area. Why do they have to knock it down. They could easily use the existing structure and add and move walls around to make it work. It makes me sad to see this thing go. I was hoping to contact management to get in there (yes, its been done) and get some awesome shots for a project I'm working on. I need those pictures, but won't be able to get them as I'm only going down there in May. :hammer: I'm sure by then it'll be halfway done into bathrooms. :fork:

I hate it when they make changes like this. Replace beautiful with toilets. UGH :shrug:

But I mustn't get too angry as no official plans have been released. But if they do level the top of that building it will be sad. Its just so pretty. Last remnants of a Fantasyland that was. It's changing so much. I'm surprised IASW hasn't been demolished (insert sarcasm here) :ROFLOL:

As much as I'm anxious to see the new expansion of Fantasyland, I hate the fact that their now gonna demo 2 original 1971 attractions (Skyway & SWSA). Here they are celebrating 40 years and they're getting rid of 40 year old buildings. Kinda ironic. :eek:

These plans are as official as you're going to get, sans a press announement (which I doubt they're going to do for new bathrooms, but maybe for the Pan queue.

The building needs to be demo'd...sparse maintenance and wood rot have done it in. There's really no way to go about saving it, though they will most likely use the foundation, or at least part of it. I have a suspicion that the restroom building will be similarly themed anyway.

GymLeaderPhil

They saved a bunch of money and time repurposing the old 20k foundation with Mermaid. Here's hoping that they will retain some elements of the Skyway as I noted in the other permit thread.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
So will there be two paths now? The existing one and then the new one behind Yankee Trader? Or is it just going to be the new one. I can't quite figure out the scribble-y drawing. :lol:

lazyboy97o

Nevermind, I can't get the plan and image from Google to line up in Photoshop. I'm too tired to try any harder.

The image SeaCastle posted provides enough information anyway. Open the area in Google Map/Earth and find the HM and Small World buildings and you'll be able to see where all of this is going.

The new path will go behind Yankee Trader and come out near the HM queue entrance, across from the old keel boat station. There will a large courtyard with water features where the stroller parking is now. The new buildings will essentially sit where the Skyway Station is now.

It will really open up the area and allow MUCH more traffic to pass through from FL to LibSq.
They are a little off, but not so as to distort the idea of what is happening.
picture.php

picture.php

I also just realized that the idea of moving the Princesses to a new dedicated space in this location is pretty much dead.

WDWfanatic89

These plans are as official as you're going to get, sans a press announement (which I doubt they're going to do for new bathrooms, but maybe for the Pan queue.

The building needs to be demo'd...sparse maintenance and wood rot have done it in. There's really no way to go about saving it, though they will most likely use the foundation, or at least part of it. I have a suspicion that the restroom building will be similarly themed anyway.

oh how sad :-( Well I hope its themed the same way and not just just half assed job either. Here's a chance to make it look nice and use a lot of the existing area. Its so well themed. I wonder if they'll leave the path under and make the bathrooms a sort of outdoors feel with paths winding around and such. I'm anxious to see how they'll do it. So many amazing elements. One thing in WDW that needs help is Discovery Island & River Country. Stick some dynamite and get rid of it. Nature's taken revenge on that stuff, that's for sure. haha. I hear Vultures have made home on Discovery Island now. :ROFLOL:

Tom

Beta Return

As SeaCastle mentioned, these plans are indeed official. It's happening.

But we have no idea what the new buildings will look like. I'm almost guessing something with a castle type turret, based on the round entrance to the womens restroom.

Yes, it's a shame the Skyway building will be gone, but as SeaCastle also mentioned, that building can't be repurposed for anything else.

So will there be two paths now? The existing one and then the new one behind Yankee Trader? Or is it just going to be the new one. I can't quite figure out the scribble-y drawing. :lol:

Yes, two paths. The one will remain under the Harbor House "overpass" plus the new one behind Traders.

Tom

Beta Return
They are a little off, but not so as to distort the idea of what is happening.
picture.php

picture.php

I also just realized that the idea of moving the Princesses to a new dedicated space in this location is pretty much dead.

That's about as far as I got too :)

And yes, pretty much puts the nail in the MnG coffin. Princesses will almost assuredly go in the old SWSA building once the mine ride is done.

eilie

The notes on these specific plans are only related to site work. The words you can't read in that thumbnail are EXTREMELY boring and uninteresting, unless you enjoy reading topographical maps and like to know what kind of end section a storm pipe will have.

But, if you're really into that, I'm sure some enhancement can be done. ;)

Notes on site work plans boring!? This is what I do for a living! Ah, well. I love this kind of stuff.

For those of you having trouble interpreting the plans, I'm working on a simple Illustrator overlay which will at least clarify what's going on at the basic level. Without being able to read the notes, I can't really interpret it from a detailed drainage perspective (though the grading is fairly straightforward).

For what it's worth, I'm not really seeing any of those water features/creeks (maybe because I can't read the notes?). I do see a drainage swale that runs under a small bridge just south of the men's restrooms, but this will likely be dry most of the time. Rather, it looks like many of the landscaped areas are slightly higher than the surrounding pathways, if I'm reading the (extraordinarily fuzzy) topo elevations correctly.

eilie

Also, I think this explains one of the motivations behind the re-worked Haunted Mansion queue. Look where that new path lets out! It's running right into the area of overflow HM queue, which would be a traffic nightmare on peak crowd days.

disneyWX

Both skyway stations demolished for RESTROOM purposes!! What is this blatant disregard for original theming, park history, classic attractions! It's truely sickening :cry::cry:

Whoever makes these executive decisions should be OVERTHROWN. Disney desperately needs to get back to basics!

CaptJapan

Although I am sad to see skyway never returning and the station used for restrooms. it does make sense.
Disney can use that space for bigger walkways and a castle themed building is better then just tearing it all down and planting lots of trees. There's just no room back there for anything, and that place is always congested.

Scuttle

Would it be pretty safe to assume that Peter Pan's Flight will be getting a Next-Gen queue?

God I really hope not. Those shields are the most nostalgic part of fantasyland left I remember being only half way up the shields. Just leave the shields and I'll be happy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom