skyride?????

olcom

Original Poster
Hi..... Does anyone remember where the skyride started, and where it left off?????? I was trying to remember but couldn't. Thanks :wave:

TheDisneyGirl02

You could ride the Skyway from the building next to Small World in Fantasyland to the building across from Space Mountain in Tomorrowland.

TheDisneyGirl02

strobe

Everytime someone brings this ride up, I miss it! Seems like almost all of the parks across the country have done away with these. The only one I still know of is at Cedar Point in Ohio.

I have a lot of good memories of the one at WDW. Maybe not the most practical method of transportation across the park, but we always enjoyed it.

CaptainMichael

In my opinion, those skyway rides are scary.............Have you ever seen that James Bond movie with him and Jaws on the skyway. Those rides just seem so dangerous.......the only way I would ride one would be in a Disney park, but I've missed my chance.

Disneyland1970

The ride was great. Was fun to look out over the park! IN DL you went through the Matterhorn which was very cool. I never heard a definite reason why they took the ride out....Anyone?

strobe

STR8FAN2005 said:
In my opinion, those skyway rides are scary.............Have you ever seen that James Bond movie with him and Jaws on the skyway. Those rides just seem so dangerous.......the only way I would ride one would be in a Disney park, but I've missed my chance.

I think you would be just as safe in any well kept park. I trust Cedar Point's rides as much as WDW's. However, I was leery at some of the rides a Six Flags and avoided them. You could tell they were done on the cheap.

I feel pretty safe at WDW, Kings Island, Universal, and Cedar Point - regardless of the ride.

Cynderella

Disneyland1970 said:
The ride was great. Was fun to look out over the park! IN DL you went through the Matterhorn which was very cool. I never heard a definite reason why they took the ride out....Anyone?

Rumor has it that a CM fell out of the loading area in fantasyland(I think) and died. That's the rumor I heard though Im shore there are different ones.

bjunderwood

strobe said:
Everytime someone brings this ride up, I miss it! Seems like almost all of the parks across the country have done away with these. The only one I still know of is at Cedar Point in Ohio.

adventureland- des moines, iowa. now THAT is a theme park. :lookaroun

donsullivan

Premium Member
Disneyland1970 said:

I'm not positive of the reason for removal at WDW, but I do know why it came out of DL and there is likely a relationship. The ride @ DL needed a major rehab and California law was going to force them to make it fully ADA compliant. That means wheel chair accesible cars and all of the acssociated ramps that go along with that.

The practical reality was that it's just not possible for the ride for be fully ADA compliant and still operate with anything that resembles decent capacity. Based on that they decided to just shut it down and pull it out.

WDWRLD

I only rode the skyway at WDW once or twice but thought it was great, you could see alot of the backstage areas and a good overview of 20000 leagues, But oh yea thats gone too. Busch Gardens Williamsburg still has one in operation and im going there tonight for a few quick rides and some dinner.

olcom

Original Poster
really gross?????

I heard that people(sick) were spitting on guests down below. Disney DID NOT like this..... Pretty bad huh???? :hurl:

strobe

olcom said:
I heard that people(sick) were spitting on guests down below. Disney DID NOT like this..... Pretty bad huh???? :hurl:

When I was in high school, kids bragged about doing this in all the parks with sky rides. They would spit food, pop, and whatever else.

Nasty.

Bairstow

Cynderella said:
Rumor has it that a CM fell out of the loading area in fantasyland(I think) and died. That's the rumor I heard though Im shore there are different ones.

I'm afraid that it's no rumor. OSHA later fined Disney $4,500 for a safety violation that was partly responsible for Raymond Barlow's death.

lamarvenoy

I remember enjoying the skyride because you could see the tops of the buildings and even a little "backstage" area. But I also remember this being the WORST ride for lines. Although those cars continuosly loaded they were far apart and often only had 2 or 3 people per car. The line seemed to take forever. The last time I rode it I was 10 or so but at that age it was pretty cool.

Figment1986

I loved the skyway.... i could see all of Fantasy land and TL and some backstage from it.... (Not enough) I miss it. and looking into the old 20,000 lagoon and seeing the old track...

Busch Gardens Tampa also still has a skyway which i dont think is going anywhere for a few more years....

Nicole

I remember getting lost at DL years ago - when I was about 12 (back in the days when we still used the ticket books and the skyride was I think an A-ticket) and since we were beginners we didn't have a pre-arranged meeting place. Instead I rode the skyride about six times, back and forth, till I found my family. Funny thing is, now I'm afraid of heights, but I don't remember having any problem looking over the side for my group. Hmm.

WDWScottieBoy

I loved the skyway in WDW. I have some good memories from up there with my family. I even took an AWESOME 20K pic from up there too....now if only I can find that picture.

Cynderella

Bairstow said:
I'm afraid that it's no rumor. OSHA later fined Disney $4,500 for a safety violation that was partly responsible for Raymond Barlow's death.

Wow, I thought it was true but I read so many other rumors you never know what is right anymore. But thanks for correcting me :wave:

egionet

From what I learned working in Fantasyland, another reason it closed was due to the work for the CM running it. Only the strongest and biggest Fantasyland/Tomorrowland CMs could actually operate it. The cars didn't stop unless a CM stopped them. Just imagine trying to stop one of those cars with a 250 lb man with his wife and 2 kids in it(that would be my family). I know I wouldn't want to. So this reason, as well as the accident, seeing backstage, and the problem with people throwing things off the edge, is why the ride was closed.

And just so you know, all the lights still work and the music still plays in the Fantasyland Station. It's really creepy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom