Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

brb1006

Everyone is arguing about screens in Universal and I'm just waiting until the opening of Frozen Ever After at Epcot and the debate over IPs and Shanghai Disney next week and the following reactions on the forum. Boy are the reactions going to be great. And I'm just sitting here reading the comments like
popcorn_the_joker.gif

Please pass me the salt for my popcorn for the upcoming forum arguments for the opening of Frozen Ever After.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This very funny article that absolutely destroys the plot of Forbidden Journey despite it still being a great ride is why I'm not so bothered for Kong :)

FJ takes riders into a fantasy story they want to experience... the ideas of playing quidich, flying with the famous trio, the encounters with the villians, etc. Kong on the other hand is goto a jungle... watch a godzilla movie play out. One needs a bit more of a boost than the other to please the masses ;) The Harry Potter ride probably could have been watching Harry do his homework and it would have been enough :D

Mike S

Original Poster
FJ takes riders into a fantasy story they want to experience... the ideas of playing quidich, flying with the famous trio, the encounters with the villians, etc. Kong on the other hand is goto a jungle... watch a godzilla movie play out. One needs a bit more of a boost than the other to please the masses ;) The Harry Potter ride probably could have been watching Harry do his homework and it would have been enough :D
I actually really enjoyed the last Godzilla movie :happy:

JT3000

One positive could come from that though. Those rides will definitely make Kong look A LOT better :hilarious:

Nah, many of the same people complaining about Kong's reliance on screens will conveniently ignore Avatar's and sing its praises as if it were Sliced Bread 2.0. I'm already seeing the excuses rolling in ahead of time.

Lest we forget, Pandora will also signal Universal officially failing to "keep even with openings until Star Wars land." Because WDW was stealthily matching Universal's openings this entire time, and we just didn't know it. Plus people are actually familiar with Avatar, being a top grossing film and all. No one even knows who King Kong is before riding this. Right, David?

This thread quickly went from being a functional discussion on a new attraction to a cornucopia of hilarity. All based on a YouTube video no less!

Last edited:

andysol

What a difference of opinions from those who have ridden the ride and those who have only watched videos. I'll lend more weight to those who have ridden, thanks.

And yes- avatar will be incredible- and I don't even care about the rides nearly as much as seeing that land in person.

The amount of thread crap in here is getting overwhelming to say the least.

Daveeeeed

Nah, many of the same people complaining about Kong's reliance on screens will conveniently ignore Avatar's and sing its praises as if it were Sliced Bread 2.0. I'm already seeing the excuses rolling in ahead of time.

Lest we forget, Pandora will also signal Universal officially failing to "keep even with openings until Star Wars land." Because WDW was stealthily matching Universal's openings this entire time, and we just didn't know it. Plus people are actually familiar with Avatar, being a top grossing film and all. No one even knows who King Kong is before riding this. Right, David?

This thread quickly went from being a functional discussion on a new attraction to a cornucopia of hilarity. All based on a YouTube video no less!
Know one knows about nor cares about the people in the Kong ride besides Kong himself. If you've read my other posts you would know I was for the Kong tunnel part, but hated the parts with that random women being attacked. Those parts instead should've been sets with screens in the background, but it would've cost more money. That part of the story is so dull, and then wait Kong is here? Sure Kong lives there, but other than that literally makes no sense. The pacing is awful!
Also have you not seen Universal's opening slate for attractions starting around when Avatar opens? It sucks compared to Disney, reverse of the years before. Universal had the upper hand, and now it will be given to Disney, then probably back again to Universal after Star Wars Land at least for Orlando.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

My main criticism is the lack of necessity between the added scenes and the pre-made scenes. The parts with the humans don't need to happen. And also, please stop making so many scenarios that need screens. I think this would've made a wonderful romp through a dangerous temple with live humans, dangerous animatronic dinosaurs, bats and insects. And then a giant Kong fighting one of the Dinosaurs would've been sweet. But oh well, I still really like what we got and I can't wait to ride it.

Agreed with this. (Do we still need spoiler tags?) In the first few scenes you just watch other human characters (that you know nothing about and don't care about) get attacked. I didn't feel connected to the action or immersed like in the other motion simulator hybrid rides. Just that I was sitting in a big truck watching a screen. It helps when the screen is your entire field of vision like in Spider-Man, Transformers, Gringotts, and Forbidden Journey, as opposed to something you have to turn your head and view through the side of the truck.

Again, my opinion might change when I get a second chance to ride.

Daveeeeed

Agreed with this. (Do we still need spoiler tags?) In the first few scenes you just watch other human characters (that you know nothing about and don't care about) get attacked. I didn't feel connected to the action or immersed like in the other motion simulator hybrid rides. Just that I was sitting in a big truck watching a screen. It helps when the screen is your entire field of vision like in Spider-Man, Transformers, Gringotts, and Forbidden Journey, as opposed to something you have to turn your head and view through the side of the truck.

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING

Mike S

Original Poster

Yes. The ride isn't even officially open yet. Please use them.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
What a difference of opinions from those who have ridden the ride and those who have only watched videos. I'll lend more weight to those who have ridden, thanks.

And yes- avatar will be incredible- and I don't even care about the rides nearly as much as seeing that land in person.

Anyone else see the irony in how he knows avatarland will be awesome?

cheezbat

I can say sitting on the right side is way better than the left. Having ridden three times now, my best experience was on the right side. (Sadly the ride broke down every time I rode.)

I give the ride a 7 or 8 out of 10. Still think Mummy, Spider-Man, Forbidden Journey, and Jurassic Park have this one beat in my book.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom