Skipper Canteen officially changes menu

rricks26

Original Poster
The big scary "dumbed down" menu debuted today at the skipper canteen. Not much has changed. Only one dish was removed (fish collar) and, several items were tweaked or renamed. For example, Skips Mac and Cheese became Skips Beefy Pasta and became more of a baked pasta casserole with the same flavors. Nothing really groundbreakingly different. Added two new dishes as well; a cold noodle salad app and, a whole fried lion fish. Found a picture of the new menu online. Attached below

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 433
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:

Biff215

The big scary "dumbed down" menu debuted today at the skipper canteen. Not much has changed. Only one dish was removed (fish collar) and, several items were tweaked or renamed. For example, Skips Mac and Cheese became Skips Beefy Pasta and became more of a baked pasta casserole with the same flavors. Nothing really groundbreakingly different. Added two new dishes as well; a cold noodle salad app and, a whole fried lion fish. No official change on the mdx menu or blog post yet. Found a picture of the new menu online. Attached below
Shocked more didn't change, thanks for sharing. I know many will be happy, but I was personally hoping for more changes after our disappointing meal there in December. I'm still going to hold off on returning until I hear better reviews or more changes are made.

rricks26

Original Poster
Shocked more didn't change, thanks for sharing. I know many will be happy, but I was personally hoping for more changes after our disappointing meal there in December. I'm still going to hold off on returning until I hear better reviews or more changes are made.
Almost everything on the menu has been slightly tweaked since then. It may not have been an official menu change but, slight tweaks have been made on practically everything since they first opened in December. IMHO, it is significantly better now compared to then all the way around.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
I thought the menu tweak already occurred a few months back? Is this a new one? Either way, I hope this is all they do to the menu. I felt Skipper Canteen was excellent. It was definitely a nice change from the burgers, fries, chicken fingers etc that you can find anywhere else in MK.

rricks26

Original Poster
I thought the menu tweak already occurred a few months back? Is this a new one? Either way, I hope this is all they do to the menu. I felt Skipper Canteen was excellent. It was definitely a nice change from the burgers, fries, chicken fingers etc that you can find anywhere else in MK.
Kids menu added a fried chicken option. That's what changed a few months ago.

Variable

Well, still not doing it for us, sad do say. Its not about "adventure vs dumbed down" the menu just seems to contrived and manufactured in a bad way. Like they out thought themselves being clever, integrated, something. We walk up, look at the menu and just don't see what the fuss is all about - from either side of the debate.

SpectroPhoenix

I went with a group of friends on Saturday for the first time and had a fantastic meal. Everything we had was delicious and our server, Robert, was absolutely hilarious.I was worried about the future of the restaurant because of how many empty seats there were around us, but I loved our experience. In the world's most popular park, it was nice to have a sit down without dealing with the stress of reservations.

COProgressFan

I went with a group of friends on Saturday for the first time and had a fantastic meal. Everything we had was delicious and our server, Robert, was absolutely hilarious.I was worried about the future of the restaurant because of how many empty seats there were around us, but I loved our experience. In the world's most popular park, it was nice to have a sit down without dealing with the stress of reservations.

Glad to hear your review. I would love to try this location on our next visit. I still think one of the reasons it is slower is because there are so many people on dining plans that they're afraid to show up to the MK one day without a reservation and then not make use of the credits if they can't get into the 1 sit-down location there that doesn't take reservations. That said, it's nice to have a reservation-free option.

And also, in classic Disney style lately, the prices are still an issue. The food options look decent to me, but again, I'm not sure I want to pay $34 for that steak. Yet somehow I know that less sales results in higher prices in the WDW management mindset.

DisneyOutsider

Really enjoyed my meal there last December. It was refreshing to see something different on the menu in the land full of burgers, chicken tenders and French fries. Also refreshing to find a place that doesn't require a reservation 180 days in advance.

If the lack of burgers, fries and sugar-nuked booze scares the average guest away, then I'm happy to occupy a table on my visit, but I'm afraid in the end this menu will continue to morph until it's just another salt and sugar party at MK.

rricks26

Original Poster
Glad to hear your review. I would love to try this location on our next visit. I still think one of the reasons it is slower is because there are so many people on dining plans that they're afraid to show up to the MK one day without a reservation and then not make use of the credits if they can't get into the 1 sit-down location there that doesn't take reservations. That said, it's nice to have a reservation-free option.

And also, in classic Disney style lately, the prices are still an issue. The food options look decent to me, but again, I'm not sure I want to pay $34 for that steak. Yet somehow I know that less sales results in higher prices in the WDW management mindset.
They now accept advanced reservations as well.

NearTheEars

Way to get rid of an invasive species DIS! They are doing this in the Caribbean too.

Surprised it does not mention in the description that it's a Lion Fish. Pretty clear from the photo, though
Makes me want to go try one out. And it would make a very interesting Instagram photo. Could help me earn some lifestyler street cred!

TikiTorch

Love this place. It's theme and interesting menu fit perfectly in Adventureland. We had dinner recently in the Jungle Room. No complaints, other than that my wife decided to try the pork belly and was disappointed/unaware how fatty it was going to be. When she mentioned it to the waitress we were given a golden FP ticket.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom