Size of Universal parks compared to WDW Parks???

R W B

Original Poster
So my G/F and I are most likely taking a Disney trip early-mid May and we were thinking of spending a day at Universal since neither of us has ever been. I know at Disney I can knock out 2 parks in a day (I get bored easy, lol) but most of the time the operating hours are longer then what Universal has listed and I dont stop and see everything because I know what I like. So my question is can you truly do both Universal parks in one day from 9am-7pm and have a good experience or do you really need atleast 2 days?

Also, how would you compare the size of the Universal parks to, lets say Magic Kingdom? Bigger, smaller, about the same?

Testtrack321

Both Universal parks are smaller than MK and have fewer attractions. I'd say combined they offer the same amount of attractions (though Universal has more e-tickets.)

I did both parks in one day. I skipped rides that I didn't care for, so I didn't do everything.

Mark_E

To do everything (especially if you like all the coasters/thrills) 1 day would be pushing it. 2 days is much better. We actually did 4 days last time and still could have done with longer!

IOA has 16/17 rides and Universal Studios only around 10 but a lot of shows to see.

JillC LI

We did both parks in 1 day in October 09 without Express Passes, but that was pre-Harry Potter which might make the crowds worse. Also, our family was split into 2 people who loved thrill rides and 2 who were more interested in the more mild rides and shows, so we all got to do just about everything we wanted, but if we had wanted to do what the other two-some did, that would've been tough.

Belle4ever22

If you check out the map online and scope out what ya want to do then YES.

My group ( of 4 range in 21- and 25 in age) can go back and forth two both parks. We do it about once a week. Every week.

fosse76

It CAN be done. If you get to IOA at opening or within the first two hours of opening, you should be able to get through all the rides in Marvel Superhero Island, Toon Lagoon and Jurassic Park around 11:00am. Harry Potter has a single-rider line, so you can do that to speed things up. You can easily be done at IOA by 1pm. USF might be a little trickier, as the attractions are more spread-out and the lines will be longer in the afternoon. Take a look at the maps and ride descriptions online and figure out what you want to skip ahead of time.

T-1MILLION

It CAN be done. If you get to IOA at opening or within the first two hours of opening, you should be able to get through all the rides in Marvel Superhero Island, Toon Lagoon and Jurassic Park around 11:00am. Harry Potter has a single-rider line, so you can do that to speed things up. You can easily be done at IOA by 1pm. USF might be a little trickier, as the attractions are more spread-out and the lines will be longer in the afternoon. Take a look at the maps and ride descriptions online and figure out what you want to skip ahead of time.

Yeah. It can be done. I can do the same with DHS and AK...

the thing is...it is not a good way to enjoy EVERYTHING in the park. This including the time it takes to appreciate all the pathways and details and areas of the parks.

If one is just doing rides and big time shows at the parks, than sure.

R W B

Original Poster
Both Universal parks are smaller than MK and have fewer attractions. I'd say combined they offer the same amount of attractions (though Universal has more e-tickets.)

I did both parks in one day. I skipped rides that I didn't care for, so I didn't do everything.
Good to hear they are smaller but with more big rides.
To do everything (especially if you like all the coasters/thrills) 1 day would be pushing it. 2 days is much better. We actually did 4 days last time and still could have done with longer!

IOA has 16/17 rides and Universal Studios only around 10 but a lot of shows to see.
Oh wow, that is alot of rides. More then I thought.
We did both parks in 1 day in October 09 without Express Passes, but that was pre-Harry Potter which might make the crowds worse. Also, our family was split into 2 people who loved thrill rides and 2 who were more interested in the more mild rides and shows, so we all got to do just about everything we wanted, but if we had wanted to do what the other two-some did, that would've been tough.
Yea, with Harry Potter being there I have a feeling I would at that one attraction for a while, lol.
If you check out the map online and scope out what ya want to do then YES.

My group ( of 4 range in 21- and 25 in age) can go back and forth two both parks. We do it about once a week. Every week.
Thats gotte be expensive going every week huh, lol?
Good info! Thanks
Yeah. It can be done. I can do the same with DHS and AK...

the thing is...it is not a good way to enjoy EVERYTHING in the park. This including the time it takes to appreciate all the pathways and details and areas of the parks.

If one is just doing rides and big time shows at the parks, than sure.
Yea, thats another problem, since I've never been I kinda dont wanna just rush threw it like its my 10th time there. I want to stop and look at little things. With that said and the more I'm thinking about it, it just might have to be atleast a 2 day trip which might mean it will be an end of summer trip by itself. Gotta talk it over with the g/f, lol.

Belle4ever22

Its really not expensive. We all have annual passes with no black out dates.

Plus we also have all disney parks, Seaworld, busch, and adventure island. The max our group has gotten done in one has been 6 parks. All four disney parks, universal, islands of adventure, seaworld, and Busch Gardens. Its all about timing out which park and when. lol

16/17 rides at IOA seems high to me. I dont like getting wet and having to walk all over soaking so I usually skip the water rides but even with them u got the 3 water rides, the 3 Harry potter rides, the posideon show, cat in the hat, and the 3 rides at marvel. Am I forgetting anything? You could easily do 4 hours in IOA with doing the potter stuff first and see pretty much everything, spend an hour or so for lunch at city walk or one of the nicer ones in the parks, and four hours at the studios and see pretty much everything. When I used to vacation down here before I moved down here we would spend two days and skip the morning part, arrive after lunch and have 5-6 hours to spend at the parks.
I believe u said u would be down in May so they may offer their old deal of buy a 2day 2park ticket get the rest of the week included. tho they did offer that before potter im not sure now. u can do almost everything and if u plan ahead and make a list of what want to do and what u wouldnt mind skipping a day should easily be plenty.
If u think u might be down again in less then a year the annual pass is worth it just to save on parking

ChrisFL

Premium Member
16/17 rides at IOA seems high to me. I dont like getting wet and having to walk all over soaking so I usually skip the water rides but even with them u got the 3 water rides, the 3 Harry potter rides, the posideon show, cat in the hat, and the 3 rides at marvel. Am I forgetting anything? You could easily do 4 hours in IOA with doing the potter stuff first and see pretty much everything, spend an hour or so for lunch at city walk or one of the nicer ones in the parks, and four hours at the studios and see pretty much everything. When I used to vacation down here before I moved down here we would spend two days and skip the morning part, arrive after lunch and have 5-6 hours to spend at the parks.
I believe u said u would be down in May so they may offer their old deal of buy a 2day 2park ticket get the rest of the week included. tho they did offer that before potter im not sure now. u can do almost everything and if u plan ahead and make a list of what want to do and what u wouldnt mind skipping a day should easily be plenty.
If u think u might be down again in less then a year the annual pass is worth it just to save on parking

IOA Attractions:

The Cat in the Hat
One Fish, Two Fish
Seuss Trolley
Caro-Seuss-El
Poseidon's Fury
Eighth Voyage of Sinbad
Dragon Challenge Blue
Dragon Challenge Red
Flying Hippogriff
Forbidden Journey
Jurassic Park River Adventure
Pteranadon Flyers
Triceratops Encounter (sometimes)
Ripsaw Falls (once it's re-opened after the fire)
Bilge-Rat Barges
Spiderman
Dr. Doom's FearFall
Incredible Hulk

That's 15 rides, 18 if you include shows, plus there's a lot of little attractions that you can spend time to experience, but aren't technically rides or shows.

JT3000

^ +Storm Force Acceletron

IOA is a very ride oriented park with not a lot of shows. USF has half as many rides, but is more balanced overall. Another thing to keep in mind, if you go multiple days, is that many of IOA's rides are outdoors, while the Studios are the opposite. Don't choose IOA if it looks like rain.

IOA Attractions:

The Cat in the Hat
One Fish, Two Fish
Seuss Trolley
Caro-Seuss-El
Poseidon's Fury
Eighth Voyage of Sinbad
Dragon Challenge Blue
Dragon Challenge Red
Flying Hippogriff
Forbidden Journey
Jurassic Park River Adventure
Pteranadon Flyers
Triceratops Encounter (sometimes)
Ripsaw Falls (once it's re-opened after the fire)
Bilge-Rat Barges
Spiderman
Dr. Doom's FearFall
Incredible Hulk

That's 15 rides, 18 if you include shows, plus there's a lot of little attractions that you can spend time to experience, but aren't technically rides or shows.

I understand what u are saying. My point is if they are adults thats a lot of rides out the window.
size limitations:
Pteranadon Flyers
too childish (for most adults):
One Fish, Two Fish
Seuss Trolley
Caro-Seuss-El
Flying Hippogriff

So if your already skipping those is suess probably skip cat in the hat and if u dont want to get wet that's three more skipped. Also i think most would count the dueling dragons as one ride.

So yes on the official list there are 15 or 16 rides. But unless there are young children with you its really like 10-12

JT3000

I think you may be oversimplifying things just a wee bit. Especially in regards to Cat in the Cat, which isn't a "kids ride" IMO.

Disneydreamer23

Id say a day because there isnt that many attractions when you come down to it I always like 2 days so you can see every thing but alot smaller than disney If your planning on harry potter plan 2 days bc ull be in line for like 2-3 hrs also pre buy your ticket online I waited at the park 1 time and I was in like 2 hours and boy was that a waste!

enchanted_belle

I was just down there the other week, and we spent 3 days between the two parks (two in just IOA).
It all depends on if you're a fan of any parts in the park. For instance, we spent a whole day in Harry Potter (with no lines, best thing ever) because we were all big fans of the series. It was like watching four fan girls run around, pointing out what was wrong with what picture. :lol:
But, there's a lot of single rider lines included throughout the two parks that can make it go quicker.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom