Single Guy @ WDW/ Solo Trip?

Todd L

I’ve been in a bit of a “life funk” lately. Can’t seem to be truly happy if you will, haven’t been to WDW in years. I’ve always gone with my family, (mom, dad and brothers) and I’ve been trying to plan a family WDW trip but now with everyone working and going to school, nobody seems to have time or really care to make time for a family vacation. I’ve been so busy lately with work and trying to make everyone else happy that I’ve forgotten to make myself happy and could use some magic in my life. I’ve never done a solo trip before, has anyone ever done a solo WDW trip or just solo trip in general before? Was it boring or weird? Opinions anyone?

Go for it man!! Its not something I would feel comfortable doing but If you think youll have a good time than by all means go and have a blast!!

I know some people from the forum meet up while they are down there and spend some time together...might be a good option for you??

Best wishes for a great trip!!

a2grafix

I echo everyone who has posted about taking solo trips to WDW and Disneyland. I've done it, numerous times, and I don't mind it at all.

I am on vacation, this is what I want to do, and if I want to abuse the single rider line at either the WDW, Universal or Sea World parks, I will do so. As a solo traveler you do not have the baggage or the time limits of family or friends. You are on your own time and you can do what you want to do. Sure, you might pre-plan some things (park hours) but what is cool once you get onto WDW property you can zig instead of zag and go in a different direction.

It's your vacation. Enjoy it. Do some pre-planning but once you get on WDW property or hop to Universal and/or Sea World and/or Busch Gardens Tampa, you do it on your time.

Visiting WDW or Universal or Sea World is just as much fun as visiting Central Florida with your friends or family.

I took a quick "get-away" solo trip at the start of March, and I"m headed back to WDW in November and December on solo trips to run two half marathons. I'm also traveling solo to Disneyland at end of August for the Disneyland Half Marathon.

wdwdude1

I have made multiple solo trips and have thoroughly enjoyed each one of them. Going on another one in November for 5 days before the family arrives. Solo trips or any trip to WDW always helps me find some magic. Book your trip - you won't regret it!!

DicksonGR

I think you just need to work out if you don't mind not having someone for company. I've had plenty of times when I've been set free to roam the parks on my own, but only for a few hours at a time. Now don't get me wrong - I did love the feeling of being able to do whatever I want without having others to think about, but I don't know if I could do it for a week, or longer, on my own. Never really thought about it though - it would be fun!

jw24

Go for it if you're comfortable enough doing by yourself and are willing to do it. Just keep in mind basic safety tips when going by yourself travelling anywhere. (i.e. Don't give personal information, stay in brightly lit areas at night, etc.) That's safety and it is your top priority. But other than that, it's all fun. You get do what you want, ride what you want and there's no compromising or being held back by your family or travel companions. (In other words, you want to go on a ride but you can't because of other people who can't or are too scared to ride.) Dining can be a challenge but from personal experience, it's much easier to do quick service meals over table service but I mean, if you want to treat yourself to a really good meal, go for it. It's your vacation, after all!

Soarin' Over Pgh

Welcome! :)

Well I'm looking to plan my first single trip as well... so this post has been pretty helpful, actually. Last time I went it was a girls trip (mom and I) but no one I know is interested in going next year, so I'm hoping I can luck out and go by myself. Kinda lame. But it sounds like a lot of people do it. I dunno, I like to have someone to talk to (and share snacks with!).

When are you planning to go?

MickeyPeace

Hey man, welcome to WDWMagic! :)

I can relate about being worried if it's weird....IT'S NOT! Don't worry - it's THE BEST. I myself am a single 26-year old man. I've done two solo trips to WDW, the most recent being a few weeks ago, and I can say that solo trips are the BEST! You do everything at the parks at your own pace, do them when you want, how you want, as often or little as you want. I spent a whole afternoon riding Space Mountain. Why? Because I felt like it. I rode SpaceShip earth three times using my iPod to listen to a different narration each time. Why? Because no one was there to tell me I couldn't! I watched Main Street Electrical Parade in the hub, then RAN through the shops to Frontierland to watch it again before it was over. TWICE!! Why? Because I was by myself and it's what I wanted to do.

That's the best part of going by yourself - you do everything on your own time, no matter how silly or mundane someone else might think it is. (I'm actually a little worried about going with my younger brother in August, because I had such a good time doing things I wanted to do in June! Ha ha!!)
It will only be weird if you make it weird. No one really cares that you're there by yourself - the other gusts are all too busy enjoy/hating their own time in WDW, and the cast members certainly won't make you feel weird, if they even notice. Do it. You'll have the best time. And remember to come back here and tell us all how awesome it was when you're back!

Couldn't say it better than this. I've done 5 solo trips and have another coming in Oct.

disney4life2008

"OMG your a freak why would you wanna go solo to WDW" - LOL, this is what I hear from people all the time. I am also a single guy early 30s who has been going to WDW solo since 2009 (I have done 7 trips solo in that time frame). Honestly, it is the best experience ever. Here are my reasons...

1. I get severely irritated in the morning (I am a early riser and like to hit the parks before they open). Once 8am if I am not out the room I get aggitated and when I am with others - it takes forever for them to get ready; then they want to eat and look at turtles outside. I am ready to go. I am at the gates usually 30 mins prior to opening and grab a late breakfast in the park while people watching.

2. I am my own tour guide. I can go as quick or slow as I want. With others - they want to do certain things in a certain order. I am a WDW expert - I like to lead not follow. I like to take my breaks typically when others do not. This includes restroom breaks which I have found other people get irritated if you take more than a "normal" time.

3. Of all the things that you may be most worried about is eating. At QS places you will be fine - most cast members (though, the tide is slowly changing) will make an effort to speak with you if they notice your alone. TS places are a little different. I have had both good and bad experiences - the worst was Ohana when I went solo and my servers pretty much ignored me the entire time and rushed me out to give the table to a larger party. I am not sure about her TS places.

4. Finally - because I am an early riser - I like to leave the parks around noon then head back to my room and take a dip in the pool, eat lunch and sleep. Its something about daytime sleep in a disney bed that is so relaxing. Then get back up around 6 and head back to a park. With others - its hard to get everyone to do that.

I am taking another solo trip in January 2014.. DO IT!!!!!

disneyfan1995

I've never done a full solo trip, but I've had solo days before. It's nice to have time to yourself and you get to choose what you get to do.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I'm starting to think we need a singles forum here. Would be great, actually. For meeting, or trip planning for the solo flyer. Or, you know, for the single people...

Can it happen, Mom? Or @wdwmagic? And why can't I tag The Mom? (lol)

There have been several "singles" threads and the last time I tried to resurrect one I got flamed.

mergatroid

Well, I look a little stranger because I'm 18 but look younger and they were probably wondering where my parents were.;)

Fair enough, maybe they would look a bit more in that case just to make sure you were ok. As people have said, solo trips can be great as we both know, it's something everyone should try at least once.

StarWarsGirl

Fair enough, maybe they would look a bit more in that case just to make sure you were ok. As people have said, solo trips can be great as we both know, it's something everyone should try at least once.

They always look so surprised when I pull out a driver's license that says I'm 18...:rolleyes:. I'm going alone with my friend in January. Both of us are short and look younger than 18, so that should be interesting...

mergatroid

They always look so surprised when I pull out a driver's license that says I'm 18...:rolleyes:. I'm going alone with my friend in January. Both of us are short and look younger than 18, so that should be interesting...

I was in the same boat as you when I was younger, when I was mid 20's I could still pass as 18 :rolleyes:. I remember one time when I was about 22 and I stayed at the Days Inn near the Disney crossroads on my own. One night the waiter asked if I was going to charge stuff to my parents credit card and I replied "That would be a poblem as they're in England and I don't have their credit card with me" :D

StarWarsGirl

I was in the same boat as you when I was younger, when I was mid 20's I could still pass as 18 :rolleyes:. I remember one time when I was about 22 and I stayed at the Days Inn near the Disney crossroads on my own. One night the waiter asked if I was going to charge stuff to my parents credit card and I replied "That would be a poblem as they're in England and I don't have their credit card with me" :D

Lol! That's pretty bad. My dad had a babyface throughout his 20's. He's 53 now and looks about 43. So...good news! When I was in Disneyland celebrating my graduation, the CM asked me if I graduated from Middle School or high school. Okay, seriously, maybe I can pass for 15, but not 13.:rolleyes:

Tinkerbella16

I always think about solo trips to WDW! I have heard nothing but great things. Last September was supposed to be my solo trip but I had a family that I'm friends with down the same dates, we even had the same flights, but we stayed at two different resorts. So part of my trip was solo since I stayed at POFQ by myself and I must say it was very relaxing. Even though I met up with them at BLT and the parks, I spent some time around the resort and it was great.

There are lots of people who do solo trips all of the time and say that those are some of best trips they've taken.

Every year when I'm there there are always those few times during the trip where I go off on my own and ride the rides, sit on a bench somewhere and just take it all in. I absolutely love it!

Tinkerbella16

"OMG your a freak why would you wanna go solo to WDW" - LOL, this is what I hear from people all the time. I am also a single guy early 30s who has been going to WDW solo since 2009 (I have done 7 trips solo in that time frame). Honestly, it is the best experience ever. Here are my reasons...

1. I get severely irritated in the morning (I am a early riser and like to hit the parks before they open). Once 8am if I am not out the room I get aggitated and when I am with others - it takes forever for them to get ready; then they want to eat and look at turtles outside. I am ready to go. I am at the gates usually 30 mins prior to opening and grab a late breakfast in the park while people watching.

2. I am my own tour guide. I can go as quick or slow as I want. With others - they want to do certain things in a certain order. I am a WDW expert - I like to lead not follow. I like to take my breaks typically when others do not. This includes restroom breaks which I have found other people get irritated if you take more than a "normal" time.

3. Of all the things that you may be most worried about is eating. At QS places you will be fine - most cast members (though, the tide is slowly changing) will make an effort to speak with you if they notice your alone. TS places are a little different. I have had both good and bad experiences - the worst was Ohana when I went solo and my servers pretty much ignored me the entire time and rushed me out to give the table to a larger party. I am not sure about her TS places.

4. Finally - because I am an early riser - I like to leave the parks around noon then head back to my room and take a dip in the pool, eat lunch and sleep. Its something about daytime sleep in a disney bed that is so relaxing. Then get back up around 6 and head back to a park. With others - its hard to get everyone to do that.

I am taking another solo trip in January 2014.. DO IT!!!!!
Everything you said is exactly what I think. People also think I'm nuts, but I have always been independent in that way so a solo trip sounds fabulous to me, at the same time it seems lonely and boring to others!

Cam85z28

Original Poster
Welcome! :)

Well I'm looking to plan my first single trip as well... so this post has been pretty helpful, actually. Last time I went it was a girls trip (mom and I) but no one I know is interested in going next year, so I'm hoping I can luck out and go by myself. Kinda lame. But it sounds like a lot of people do it. I dunno, I like to have someone to talk to (and share snacks with!).

When are you planning to go?

Since I've used all my vacation time from work this year already. I'm thinkin probably this time next year! Everyone's comments are startin to get me excited!! :)

I_heart_Tigger

Just did a solo trip in June and loved it. So nice to be able to make decisions on the fly without having to make sure the family/group was happy with what you wanted to do. Want to do POTC twice in a row - go for it. Want to sleep in one day and lounge at the resort for a bit longer - no worries, no one is rushing you and no one is holding you up. I can run through AK and head straight to Everest without making sure I'm not losing anyone AND get in the single rider line without worrying that my party will be split up because, hey...I'm my own party.

I did all quick service meals but they were leisurely and allowed me to people watch. I wandered through the stores which my family often skips. Coming and going as you please was reason enough for me but being able to skip what I wanted and visit my favourites as many times as I wanted with no complaints made it even better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom