Simulators, are they taking over?

Goofyernmost

Disney has unfortunately been trying to play catchup with Universal ever since Harry Potter came around. But Universal has become obsessed with screen-based attractions and screen-based attractions only: Reign of Kong, Jimmy Fallon, etc. Honestly, if this is the path Universal is going with, I hope Disney doesn't follow suit. At least Disney still acknowledges physical sets and animatronics, something it seems Universal wouldn't know about if it bit them on the nose. Disney should learn to stick to what makes their attractions great, not what makes Universal's attractions great.
Just one correction. Disney has never been trying to play catch-up with Universal. How do you catch-up when you are already miles ahead. Four Theme Parks, two Water Parks, about a gazillion Resort/hotel complexes. Two Mini Golf courses, Three or four full sized golf courses, Disney Springs, water vehicles, Monorails, Trains, Bus transportation that is equivalent to a medium sized city, and so on. The reason why Disney didn't do much was because they didn't have too. What they are doing now is huge, but, all that will do is put that gap between Disney and Uni just a little wider. Trust me when I say that Harry Potter helped Universal, but, it didn't make a dent in WDW's business.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
As well they should. They are the current theme park base of operation. They are more versatile, easier and cheaper to set up and are enjoyed by everyone other then the "I'll never let go" group of Disney purist.
I wish I could enjoy them but I physically can't. It's not that I am a purist but my husband and I can't handle simulators as they make us both sick. :(

Goofyernmost

I wish I could enjoy them but I physically can't. It's not that I am a purist but my husband and I can't handle simulators as they make us both sick. :(
I know there are people that can't ride them and that is a shame, but, like anything else in life not everything is doable by everyone. I understand when one cannot ride or enjoy certain types of rides, I believe that I mentioned that I am not a fan of coasters and I have all I can do to ride ToT. But, that doesn't mean that those shouldn't be there or that they don't provide a more intense experience. I just means that we can't always do everything for whatever reason, fear or physical problems limit many. I was referring to the ones that just don't think that simulators should be there for no real reason other then they don't think they belong there. Those would be the, not always correct, "purist" I was referring too.

Mander

In the Parks
No
I hope they continue to have a good mix of attractions- coasters, screens, and AA based.

My fiance can't do inversions on coasters. I have a very hard time with some screen rides. Star Tours and Mission Space both make me ill (even on green). Soarin I can manage for whatever reason. Star Tours is the worst though (still ride it once each trip because Star Wars!). One of the reasons we like going to Disney so much is the variety of things to do and things we can do together. Despite a massive love for Harry Potter, I have no desire to return to US because so much is screen based. Those entrance fees are high when all you want to see is Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley!

Lets Respect

I remember when everyone used to say how Universal had too many screen-based rides
Now it seems like WDW is headed in that same direction and everyone is like yay

(not talking about anyone on here, in general)

Cmdr_Crimson

If that was the case of simulators "Taking Over" Than it was pretty silly decision to remove this...
latest

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Unfortunately, I think E-Tickets are headed that way. There won't be all simulators because of the many age groups, but E-Tickets will either be simulators are rollercoasters.
There is more than Simulators or Rollercoasters as E-tickets coming. Trackless rides can be e-tickets.

A great example that is the Star Wars Galaxy's edge ride has a 8 person trackless vehicle. That is not the only trackless ride we are getting at WDW.

Brad Bishop

Screens in rides are generally awful when not the main focus of the ride. Nemo for example is awful.

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is another good example.

To the OP, I'm the same way but the simulators have really progressed over the last 20 years. I'm not as likely to get sick as I used to. In fact, it's been years since it has happened. There are some rides that still test it where I get off and think, "another 30sec on that ride and I'd be in Sickville.." It's pretty rare these days, though.

It may be worth giving them another shot and taking some Dramamine about 2 hours beforehand, just to be safe. It's what I did when I started trying them again - now I don't even think about Dramamine.

Chef Mickey

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is another good example.

To the OP, I'm the same way but the simulators have really progressed over the last 20 years. I'm not as likely to get sick as I used to. In fact, it's been years since it has happened. There are some rides that still test it where I get off and think, "another 30sec on that ride and I'd be in Sickville.." It's pretty rare these days, though.

It may be worth giving them another shot and taking some Dramamine about 2 hours beforehand, just to be safe. It's what I did when I started trying them again - now I don't even think about Dramamine.
HP is a much different animal. Nemo basically relies on screen for a slow moving dark ride. Lazy, not innovative, not thrilling...so there is nothing going for it.

Chef Mickey

There is more than Simulators or Rollercoasters as E-tickets coming. Trackless rides can be e-tickets.

A great example that is the Star Wars Galaxy's edge ride has a 8 person trackless vehicle. That is not the only trackless ride we are getting at WDW.
I would put Star Wars as a type of simulator in that it will rely heavily on technology and augmented reality for the effect. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but hopefully it will be amazing.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Hmmm.. Might give that a try. I really really hate missing out. My ability to get motion sickness is so sensitive that I can look down at my phone for a few seconds in a moving car (not while I am driving but as passenger of course), and I get severely dizzy.

Brad Bishop

HP is a much different animal. Nemo basically relies on screen for a slow moving dark ride. Lazy, not innovative, not thrilling...so there is nothing going for it.

To me the thing is: Either way it both takes you out of the fantasy (not that there's much of one there in Nemo) and it tends to accentuate the motion sickness. If it's clear, I'm generally fine. When it's blurry, I can be a bit woozy getting off of the ride.

@KBLovesDisney You seem to be pretty much on the high-sensitivity scale. I get ride roller coasters all day long but it's pretty easy for me to start getting car sick if I'm not the driver. I can't read in the car or on a plane. It messes with me.

I'd suggest Dramamine and then something like Soarin' and see how it goes. Also, keep in mind not to wig yourself out on it (where your anxiety makes you more sick because you don't want to be the sick person on the ride).

graphite1326

Ok, I actually have an issue with simulators. Not that they aren't cool or anything, but I can't ride them. Not that I won't, I can't. I am very prone to motion sickness. Rollercoasters are fine because you are actually going somewhere, but when I see a screen moving like crazy and all my seat does is jerk here or there, vomit central. With the direction TDC is going with creating new rides that are more or less simulators, this scares me, even to the point where Disney trips might become less and less. Does anyone else see this as an issue with their future Disney trip planning and so on?.
I have been on simulators in other parks and do get motion sickness. For some reason I do not at WDW.

Goofyernmost

...as well as the "I can't do simulators without becoming ill" crowd. Don't forget about us!
I would have included that except that getting physically ill is not very controllable, being open minded about things that are different can be easily controlled. So let's not let paranoia take over this discussion. You cant use them, that is really a shame, but, that doesn't mean that others should be deprived of them because you have a problem. There are other things to do. Some of the same things that I find to do during the time that I cannot handle roller coasters. Simulators are not going to be all that is available just like roller coasters are not all that is going to be available. If that day were to come, I'd either stay home or find a place that had some variety.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom