Shuttle Launch

davidpw97

no offense to the original poster but I kinda hope it gets delayed a few days. I'm coming down on the 9th, would be an awesome sight.

Rabflmom

Being from the space coast, I have to disagree that staying clear over in the middle of the state is a better view. You can see a night launch as far away as South Carolina, Miami and even the Bahamas; but it is a flame in the sky only. If you get to the coast, the area will be so lit up by the launch that you could actually read a newspaper by the light. The other thing is that the sound from the launch does not make it all the way there. It takes about 3 minutes to hear the rumble after launch at my house.
This will be the first night launch in ages and the traffic and crowds will be huge. If you can rent a car and get to the coast, I say go for it. Plan on getting there in the afternoon. Bring water, chairs or a blanket to sit on, even a picnic supper and snacks if you can. It will be an exciting adventure that you will remember for the rest of your life. 30 years ago I saw my first launch while on vacation and have not missed one since. I moved here the next year.
You can head for the Titusville area and find a spot on the river along US1 or in town or you can head to Cocoa Beach and find a spot on the beach or on the pier which is also a great place to watch from. The campground at the port is also a very good place to watch a launch from, but you must arrive on the coast early to get a good viewing spot. Then you have to remember to set your cameras on the launch pad and not on the lighthouse like a lot of people do. It is an exciting time so come enjoy the launch. After the launch the roads will be clogged and it can take hours to get back to Orlando so plan to sit it out and hang out somewhere for a while to let the mass make their exit. Then head back or you might even want to see if there is a room on the beach anywhere in Brevard county available and watch from there without the hassle of fighting the crowds.
One thing you also have to remember is that launches are sometimes scrubbed seconds before lift off, so all plans and time spent may be in vain. Still worth it though. It is always an awesome sight!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The last shuttle launch we saw we viewed from space view park. I think you are about 11 miles away from the launch site at space view park. There is no admission to the park but you will want to get there several hours before the launch especially with a night launch. These pictures were taken at a 12X zoom from space view park.

WDWRLD

I have seen a launch from POR just outside of the food court. That was in 1999 I think and it was great. Last summer (July 4th) we saw it from the back parking lot of Daytona Speedway and it was a huge let down. From POR we watched the countdown on the big tv in the bar then ran outside to see it appear above the tree tops. You could see the outline of the shuttle, the rockets, and the vapor trail very good. You could see the solid rocket boosters seperate all with the naked eye. It was visable for a good few minutes. You could also hear the rumble although it was delayed a couple minutes. The launch from Daytona only was visable for about 30 seconds, no booster separation could be seen.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
The last shuttle launch we saw we viewed from space view park. I think you are about 11 miles away from the launch site at space view park. There is no admission to the park but you will want to get there several hours before the launch especially with a night launch. These pictures were taken at a 12X zoom from space view park.
great pics.... and im glad to see that something is free in this world. is this the same park that is in the movies... looks like they have updated it with the new monumnets and fountain. when was that constructed?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
great pics.... and im glad to see that something is free in this world. is this the same park that is in the movies... looks like they have updated it with the new monumnets and fountain. when was that constructed?
The new part was still under construction when we were there and it was not very far along at that time. The astronaut walk was finished but the rest was bare dirt.

Space View is a pretty good place to watch a launch. There are several vendors selling t-shirts, souvenirs and food that set up there and there are bathrooms on site. The only bad thing about it is if you don't get there early enough to get a seat next to the water you have the problem of people showing up at the last second that will stand right in front of you. The hand you see at the bottom of the pictures was connected to a guy that showed up about 10 min before launch. I had my tripod set up on the steps of the memorial and some women that showed up about 15 min before launch thought that the area inside the legs of my tripod was a great area to sit. She knocked my camera over twice before I convinced her to move.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
The new part was still under construction when we were there and it was not very far along at that time. The astronaut walk was finished but the rest was bare dirt.

Space View is a pretty good place to watch a launch. There are several vendors selling t-shirts, souvenirs and food that set up there and there are bathrooms on site. The only bad thing about it is if you don't get there early enough to get a seat next to the water you have the problem of people showing up at the last second that will stand right in front of you. The hand you see at the bottom of the pictures was connected to a guy that showed up about 10 min before launch. I had my tripod set up on the steps of the memorial and some women that showed up about 15 min before launch thought that the area inside the legs of my tripod was a great area to sit. She knocked my camera over twice before I convinced her to move.
hey, a swift kick in the butt will take care of her getting in your way. i was wondering if that was yours or somebody elses.

none the less, good pics

PhotoDave219

no offense to the original poster but I kinda hope it gets delayed a few days. I'm coming down on the 9th, would be an awesome sight.

Yeah, there's nothing like rolling up to the gates at 5:00 AM and being told by the guy searching you car that it's been delayed 24 hours and then you find out it will be a good 6 or 8 hours before you can service your remote cameras. Except being told you can make reservations 180 days out.

No more delays.

Dwarful

I say go for the rental car. We have done the one day rental to go to the beach before. WDW makes it so easy. They pick you up in a shuttle, take you to the car care center, you pick up your rental and off you go. When you return your car/van they shuttle you back to the resort.

BelleNBeast2

A few years back we were at Magic Kingdom right on the bridge at Frontierland and the shuttle launched. The view was beautiful for the shuttle soared in the background of the Castle. People were standing still and just applauded. It was the most chilling and beautiful experience we saw and felt at Disney World. Thanks for your heads up on Dec. 7th; we'll be down there and hopefully we'll have a deja vu experience. :sohappy:

Rabflmom

Just remember.......if you have seen a day time launch and think been there done that.....you will be surprised by how much better the view of the launch will be from anywhere in the state at night. If you do come to the Space Coast area, you won't just see a streak of bright light going through the sky or the beautiful white smoke. You will be able to see it (tyhe vehicle)shortly after it gets past the tower or even from the first flick of launch at 3-2-1-liftoff. You might even be able to see the rotation and see the boosters explode off and fall from the sky. The experience of seeing the candle light on the ground and make it that first 30 seconds is one of the most awesome man made projects in the world. And if you are like me, the first thoughts will be Godspeed and you will say a little prayer for the astronauts and their flight!

WDWRLD

Heres the view from the back parking lot at Daytona Speedway.

Attachments

• 7-4-06 009.jpg
    7-4-06 009.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 53

Rabflmom

Most launches tend to go up and to the South somewhat so views from my house are much better than from Daytona-about 30 miles south. The night lauch will be a bright light that you will see for a good long time if there are no clouds. Actually lights up the area this far South for a little biy. The roar and shaking ground is really something to experience. You might even see the explosion of the boosters being let off the craft to return to earth.
We are going to try to watch from Cocoa pier if we can get up there after work and still find a place to park. From the beach it is free. To stand on the pier to watch they do charge. I think it was $5 the last time we watched from there.

PhotoDave219

For those who care, The latest from teh AF weather weenies has it at a 70% go for launch.

Also, there's a 100% chance of irritability at 6 am when i go put a camera in a @#^%$@#^&$%ing swamp.....

PKD

On Dec. 7th, a 9:38pm flight of the space shuttle is sechuled. I would like to view this shot but will be with out a car. Does Pop Culture or any on site Disney areas have car rentals or some mode of transportation to get to the Cape? Thanks

I saw the last night launch in Dec 1999 and I watched it from the queue for Fantasmic. IT WAS AMASING how clear it was. If you can't make it out there, you will be able to see the orange fire streak from Pop

sknydave

I've always wanted to see a launch and this is my chance! I may make the drive to Cocoa Beach depending on what the probability of a launch is!! :)

PhotoDave219

This noon they're saying a 60% chance of it not going up tonight....

That's not techincally correct. The weather weenies are forecasting a 40% chance of favorable conditions at the time for launch; the main weather concerns are a low cloud ceiling as well as crosswinds at the SLF in case of a RTLS abort.

The only factor is weather, the technical issues have been resolved.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
On one hand I would like to see the shuttle go up tonight so my buddy Dave doesn't have to set up his gear in an alligator infested swamp again but on the other hand I kind of hope that it will get delayed until this weekend so I can see it from WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom