Shut up, hang up and enjoy the experience.

Lucky

But if I do choose to spend time on my phone while at WDW, that's my choice and no one else's business.

I assume you're more discrete, but many people carry on loud phone conversations even about highly personal issues in public, imposing their business on other people.

It's also very rude to walk around without looking where you're going, because you're looking down at your phone instead.

luv

There are some people who can't be out of touch for work. Having the phone allows them to go.

I like mine for checking wait times, FP times, etc.

I do hate it when people text in dark theaters or rides.

mergatroid

I have never once used a cell phone in Disney World and have never traveled with anyone that has used a cell phone in Disney World. The cell phones are at home, they don't even come on the trip with us.

...and yet as a party of up to 18 people we still manage to split up and meet each other at the right place at the right time.

Agree 100%, the concept of even taking a mobile phone (we call them that in England) is just completely alien to us :lookaroun

Mawg

I take my phone but other than to call my wife and see where she is at in the park, I've never rec'd or made a call or text in the parks. I use it for Mobile Magic or to post the occasional picture on Facebook for my friends and family.

I think the days of not taking a cell phone to the parks will soon be over with Next Gen. I fear that it will become a necessity to get the most out of your day.

loveofamouse

Just discovered Instagram, love it!

I take my cell and will always take my cell. Just because one person finds it useless doesn't mean it is useless.

I use mine for:
walkie talkie substitute
boredom in long queues when conversation has lulled
when Im the one sitting with sleeping kids outside a ride
take a quick photo when I don't want to to pull out my big one
update FB to remind everyone back home that I'm having an awesome time
upload pics to FB to show that awesome time
for emergency in the park and as a number listed on Kids' IDs in case they are lost

Do I sit on my phone for hours? No. Does this mean everyone walking on a cell is using for casual convo? No. They may be trying to hook up with a lost person. Same for the texter you see. Could be a husband telling his wife that the food stand is out of Turkey legs and to pick something else.

To each their own. Personally, I'm not a fan of meal reservations. I think they are unneeded and take away from the experience. That's just me.

G00fyDad

I use my phone for what I want, when I want to use it, and how I want to use it. If that offends the person next to me while on vacation then I not aonly got to do what I wanted to do with my phone, I also got a good laugh at their expense. Seriously. This is the most self-centered expression you can see while in the parks. How is me being on my phone 24/7 (i'm not, but what if?) bothering anyone? I think that if you are going to let my phone use bother your vacation then you need to concentrate on your trip a bit more, and a little less on me. :rolleyes: It doesn't take much time out of my trip to check the upcoming weather, ride times, or to play Angry Birds while in line by myself. :wave:

The various Disney World apps helped my girlfriend and me tremendously on our first trip to the world. We used them for wait times, maps, restaurant menus, restaurant reviews, parade times, show times, weather, all sorts of stuff that helps out a Disney newbie.
I agree with G00fyDad if someone else being on their cell phone all the time is ruining your vacation, they are not the only ones with a problem...

bethymouse

Heated debate

We use cell phones for emergencies. My husband uses his more than I do, and uses it to take pictures and post on Facebook!:lol:

Our society is truly addicted to any type of technology, including laptops and demanding free wifi in rooms!:eek:

Watches? Who wears those anymore?:lol:
Being courteous to our fellow human beings? Who cares anymore?:(

Just my humble thoughts on a love/hate relationship w/ technology in general!:shrug:

acishere

My family is not one to be organized enough to all show up at the meeting place promptly. Someone is always going to be lost, on a ride, still getting ready. So we really need the cell phones for that.

Also I've pretty much stopped using a regular camera. My phone works so well as one and I can upload everything instantly.

Also if I leave it at home, I'd dread the pileup of texts, emails, and voicemails waiting for me. Plus angry people at work who forgot I was on vacation yelling at me because I didn't answer their calls when they had a "big problem."

I_heart_Tigger

I use my phone for what I want, when I want to use it, and how I want to use it. If that offends the person next to me while on vacation then I not aonly got to do what I wanted to do with my phone, I also got a good laugh at their expense. Seriously. This is the most self-centered expression you can see while in the parks. How is me being on my phone 24/7 (i'm not, but what if?) bothering anyone? I think that if you are going to let my phone use bother your vacation then you need to concentrate on your trip a bit more, and a little less on me. :rolleyes: It doesn't take much time out of my trip to check the upcoming weather, ride times, or to play Angry Birds while in line by myself. :wave:

While I partially agree that you being on a cell phone generally has no effect on my day, on my last trip the person infront of me at Bug's life used their cell phone the entire time - held out at chin level, texting - which put a little white box of light in my field of vision. As you can imagine, it's distracting.

Also, in the Soarin' line we stood in the same spot for 5-7 minutes with a woman apparently talking to her DH who was obviously at HS. Imagine how fun it was to listen to this shrieking through the queue:

"WHERE ARE YOU NOW? WHERE? WHAT PARADE? OH THEY HAVE A PARADE? IS THAT WHAT THE MUSIC IS? DID YOU DO THE TOWER OF TERROR!? THE TOWER OF TERROR? NO, THE TOWER OF TERROR? YEAH THE ELEVATOR! DID YOU DO THAT? DID DEVON LIKE IT? I SAID DID DEVON LIKE IT? NO DEVON...DID DEVON LIKE IT? WHY DIDN'T HE LIKE IT? WELL TELL HIM HE WANTED TO GO ON IT SO TOO BAD IF HE DIDN'T LIKE IT. DID BAILEY LIKE IT? THE TOWER OF TERROR. YEAH THE ELEVATOR? YEAH I KNEW SHE WOULD LIKE IT. WE'RE DOING SOARIN'. SOARIN' THE HANG GLIDER ONE. YOU'VE NEVER BEEN ON IT. NO YOU HAVEN'T. NO YOU DIDN'T IT WASN'T OPEN THEN. OH RIGHT I FORGOT YOU CAME THAT DAY. DID YOU LIKE IT? DO YOU THINK I'LL LIKE IT? NICK SAYS I WON'T LIKE IT. NO HE SAYS I WON'T LIKE IT. HE THINKS I'LL FEEL SICK. WELL IT DOESN'T EVEN MOVE RIGHT? IT'S JUST A MOVIE. WHAT?! WHAT?! WELL I'M NOT DOING IT IF IT MOVES!"

And that was but a brief taste of the Soarin' queue that day.

I also saw a wandering texter almost fall down the steps to the Jungle Cruise. It was a 20-something girl and a man coming up the stairs literally caught her, palm open, right on her . She was saved from a nasty tumble and he got to cop a feel - so win-win all around :lol: But if she's that distracted she could have easily bumped into someone.

I'm not saying it's a disaster beyond imagination when someone is carelessly using their cell phone but when people are being thoughtless about it - it does effect my day at least in a minor way. Also I'm obviously not talking about the majority of cell phone users. I'm sure I pass hundreds a day in WDW but since they are being fairly respectful and aware of their surroundings I simply have no opportunity to notice them and I quite like it that way.

Personally I could care less if your entire family uses their cell phones in lineups rather than talking. (not saying "you" but people in general here). Maybe we're all better off with less people talking in queues. Besides, when you're too disctracted to keep up with the line that's when I sneak past you. :drevil:

Disneydreamer23

we always keep 1 phone on us bc we drive and what would happen if some thing happened on out way there or home(the resort) we always say we wont call any one when we were on our honeymoon in october we were there for 3 weeks and we only used 41 minutes of talk time lol:p

G00fyDad

While I partially agree that you being on a cell phone generally has no effect on my day, on my last trip the person infront of me at Bug's life used their cell phone the entire time - held out at chin level, texting - which put a little white box of light in my field of vision. As you can imagine, it's distracting.

Using the phone while on an attraction is just stupid. And I don't remember saying that I'd do that. :wave:

Also, in the Soarin' line we stood in the same spot for 5-7 minutes with a woman apparently talking to her DH who was obviously at HS.

Ignore them. :D

I also saw a wandering texter almost fall down the steps to the Jungle Cruise. It was a 20-something girl and a man coming up the stairs literally caught her, palm open, right on her . She was saved from a nasty tumble and he got to cop a feel - so win-win all around :lol: But if she's that distracted she could have easily bumped into someone.

Still not my typical type of usage so it still bothers no one.

but since they are being fairly respectful and aware of their surroundings I simply have no opportunity to notice them and I quite like it that way.

I would be one of those people. :wave:

I_heart_Tigger

Using the phone while on an attraction is just stupid. And I don't remember saying that I'd do that. :wave:

No I realize that you didn't say that you would do any of these. My post was more of a point towards you saying something like even if someone used it 24/7 it shouldn't bother anyone but as always, someone out there will take their phone use to extremes.

I was just pointing out that some people don't take common sense or consideration of others into their cell phone use and that it is THAT type of person that bothers me.

You'd think people would at least want to protect themselves...all the people walking with heads down in those crowds is kind of bizarre to me.

Oh and it's really hard to ignore the screaming woman two feet away. Trust me...I tried! I'm thinking someone needs a better connection or better hearing :lol:

G00fyDad

Oh and it's really hard to ignore the screaming woman two feet away. Trust me...I tried! I'm thinking someone needs a better connection or better hearing :lol:

That's when you jump in on her conversation. Just start laughing right along with her and agree with everything she is saying. Listen closely and then start giving her advice on the conversation. Then just as she looks at you like you're crazy... stop laughing and look away. She'll spend 10 minutes at least trying to figure you out. :p

I_heart_Tigger

That's when you jump in on her conversation. Just start laughing right along with her and agree with everything she is saying. Listen closely and then start giving her advice on the conversation. Then just as she looks at you like you're crazy... stop laughing and look away. She'll spend 10 minutes at least trying to figure you out. :p

You're just a big ol' boatload of crazy aren't you! I think I would have fun hanging out in the parks with you :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom