Should the parks keep longer hours?

hbrady77

Hah... good point... Maine has some pretty disadvantaged people too, maybe they can have Maine day so we can flood the park with people who pay next to nothing. Attendance numbers don't tell the whole story... how many times has Disney called people after they got home to get some honest feedback? Don't get me wrong, we had a great time but it could have been better (that's my whole point here). I will go back again and again because there is no place better, BUT, is that how high you set the bar? I guess when profit is the primary motive there is no reason to set it higher (sad but true). Open a little later but stay open later too would be a great start. That's just my opinion but we all know you can't please all the people all the time!!

BTW… KUDO’S to whoever invented the FASTPASS system. I don’t want to be one of those people who only complains about what could be better :) 11 Attractions with a 2 hour pool break during one of the busiest times could not have been achieved without FASTPASS!!

J

joviacdan

Original Poster
Originally posted by se8472
You guys know they do tell people what parks are going to have events so people can plan around it. If MK is going to be having a event that day then head over to Epcot, or MGM, or even DAK. How about the water parks or even some shopping at Down Town Disney. People know that we are holding the events. Its not like someone waites till 6pm and then says OK we are having a event tonight, you all got to get out now. Its all well planned out months and even years ahead of time

And I just thought about something else here. During the few times that I got to work till 1am and so forth, Mantaince would come in at the end of cours shifts and start doing there work. What would happen would be that work on the ride would start while the trains are still running, meaning that the ride will have to run slower at space and thus, longer wait time. If the 3rd shifts CM didn't start there work before the parks close then they would not get it done in time for the CM's who have to be there in 4 hours to start the ride back up again for the next day.

So really would you all like for the parks to stay open later, only to have the rides start to fall apart around you???

Yeah - But that's not the point. That'd be like the idea that I brought up about only being able to visit certain parks on certain days for crowd control. It's not fair. People are spending alot of money to come down there, and should be able to do whatever they want (within reason of course.)

Like I've said before - There is no reasons the parks can't stay open until 10:00PM, have the 3rd shift come in, and do their thing. Hey - Lots of companies have 3rd shifts. Do you think Stop and Shop stocks all their shelves during it's regular business hours?

ToTBellHop

you say your trip could have been better, but we all know there is no such thing as perfect. When you have a resort of that size with that many tens of thousands of Cast Members, they will never all be perfect, every vacation will have a few problems, and Disney will never be able to appease every guest. My point is that attendance numbers clearly show that MOST guests are very pleased with Disney, which is the best they could ever hope for. And yes, Disney is and has always been in it for profit. That is why you have a business. Just like you invest in stocks to make money.

J

joviacdan

Original Poster
Agreed.

However, the Disney illusion has always been such that noone though much of it as a money making machine. Now, people are.

There's gotta be a reason for that.

hbrady77

Walt Disney set out to make people's dreams come true and it was about the "Magic" not the money. See this page for more details:

http://www.waltdisneylife.com/

Those of us who experienced the Magic Kingdom in its early years know exactly what that means. Now Disney the "Corporation" is about profit, greed and market share (like most companies). I know full well what business is all about but what Walt started was not about business, it was about people and bringing out the kid in all of us.

That's no longer true.

A trip to Disney is always going to be great fun and most people go away with a smile but I still feel Disney now cares more about the cash than anything else.

MKBurn15

R.I.P. good-hearted Disney. RIP. Unless you'd like to come back. Like I've said in other threads, Let Us Wish Upon A Star. Wish for the good of Disney World.

johnvree

I miss the ability to explore MK after dark. We usually go in the off season. MK would stay open late just a couple of days a week. On those days, we would have to stop to see the fireworks (since they were only offered a few times a week). Thus, there was no opportunity to walk around at night or do some of the rides at nights that benefit from evening setting (e.g., Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, BTMR).

Can't wait for this May since Wishes is offered every night. That some guarantee some evening exploration. :D

hbrady77

Ahhhh yes.... MK after dark was the best... quiet, magical.... less "stress" but we keep going back. :hammer:

Now it's a mad dash to see the fireworks and press towards the exit. Wouldn't it be nice if the park were still open for an hour or two after wishes so you could go on some more rides or head back to the hotel without pressing through a mass of humaity :king:

Maybe the next leader will have the "ears" to say "If you do it right they will come and be inspired"
:)

MKBurn15

Yes, I am afraid of being trampled on the way out. I wish I had stayed in a Disney Resort, because then I could just take the monorail there. Dark Disney is so awesome, and the majority of the time I've been there, it was open until midnight. In fact, I only recall Disney closing early at 10:00 because it was closer to the off-season. I guess I've been lucky...:) :sohappy:

MKBurn15

Originally posted by d'Isigny
you have to stay in a Disney Resort, otherwise, you ain't doin' Disney.

I have no idea what the second part of that means. Besides, we always stayed at a different resort because we go with my aunt, and she has a timeshare there, and not in Disney.

dxwwf3

Originally posted by MKBurn15
I have no idea what the second part of that means. Besides, we always stayed at a different resort because we go with my aunt, and she has a timeshare there, and not in Disney.

What he was saying was that in order to get the most out of your vacation to WDW you must say at one of the Disney resorts. And I TOTALLY agree with him too. I'm not saying you can't enjoy your vacation when you stay elsewhere, but staying on site has so many advantages it would take a whole other thread to list them all. Of course I'm only talking about non local guests here. No need to stay in a resort when you live a short drive away :)

ToTBellHop

And thus we come to the conclusion that The Park After Dark is far superior to Extra Magic Hour:D And yes, you have to stay at a Disney Resort. Last year was our first time in 15 trips going off property (sort of) to that travesty the Grosvenor. After experiencing that bus system...never again. Pop Century in 35 days :D

TimeTrip

I liked the grosvenor. Then again we did pay only $40/night, and it was when you could still catch buses to the parks from DTD :).

ToTBellHop

mean bus drivers, took an hour to get to and from the parks, and we went in August--standing in the middle of the pouring rain in the middle of the parking lot waiting for the bus was not fun at all...NEVER AGAIN:fork: I have had my fill of the Slums and Shanties on Hotel Plaza Blvd...give me my Disney Resorts! I don't care if they are overpriced(Grosvenor doesn't have tye-dye cheesecake!)!

MKBurn15

Originally posted by dxwwf3
What he was saying was that in order to get the most out of your vacation to WDW you must say at one of the Disney resorts. And I TOTALLY agree with him too. I'm not saying you can't enjoy your vacation when you stay elsewhere, but staying on site has so many advantages it would take a whole other thread to list them all. Of course I'm only talking about non local guests here. No need to stay in a resort when you live a short drive away :)

I'm half sure that this year, we are staying in a Disney Resort. I think my uncle has a timeshare there. Does anyone know if the Animal Kingdom lodge is good? I liked the pictures because of the giraffe outside the room.

Originally posted by hbrady77
Ahhhh yes.... MK after dark was the best... quiet, magical.... less "stress" but we keep going back. :hammer:

Now it's a mad dash to see the fireworks and press towards the exit. Wouldn't it be nice if the park were still open for an hour or two after wishes so you could go on some more rides or head back to the hotel without pressing through a mass of humaity :king:

Maybe the next leader will have the "ears" to say "If you do it right they will come and be inspired"
:)

I agree with you 100%.

Who remembers the good 'ol days when the evenings looked like this:

9:00pm - Main Street Electrical Parade
10:00pm - Fantasy in the Sky
11:00pm - Main Street Electrical Parade
12:00am - Close

J

joviacdan

Original Poster
I do.

But hey - We can't expect that anymore. The park's just aren't making enough money to stay open that late.

I mean come on - 15 million visitors to the Magic Kingdom last year, x $53 a person is only $795 million dollars on admission alone.

How could they possibly stay open an additional 3 hours a night?

:veryconfu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom