Should I Purchase the Disney Dining Plan ?

mrclean

Original Poster
Hello, We will be going down Dec. 24th:xmas: - Jan 1st:sohappy:, staying at the Pop Century, This is my first time I booked various Dinner reservations in advance due to the peak season. I wanted to know since I've never purchased the Disney Dining plan, should I ? How much is it etc.. And is it beneficial with all of the reservations i have ?

Below are the reservations that I have booked during my stay:

Cinderella's Royal Table (*Already Payed for in advance)
Tony's Town Square
Crystal Palace
Chef Mickey's
Le Cellier Steakhouse
Teppan Edo
50's Prime Time Cafe
Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater
Rain Forrest Cafe (Not part of the DPP)
Tusker House Restaurant
Sanaa
Liberty Tree Tavern
Hollywood & Vine
Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano
Akershus Royal Banquet Hall
T-rex cafe (Not part of the DDP)
** I left a few breakfast / lunch / dinners open incase I wanted to just eat in the hotel or perhaps some one can recommend a particular restaurant that I don't have on my list.

Thanks!

Magical Dreamer

Yes, with the adr's you've made you'll want to take advantage of the dining plan savings.

Also keep you fingers crossed as free dining may come available as it did last year. (announced July 10th).

Although the free dining offered at value resorts is typically the counter service package you'll also be able to upgrade to the regular dining by paying the difference.

harveyt0206

Well, based on your current reservations, you would have to purchase the Deluxe dining plan in order for all your ressies to qualify. On the traditional dining plan you are only allotted one table service per day. You get two table service per day with the Deluxe. I recommend calling Disney to price the two plans and see how you feel about it.

We used the traditional dining plan last year and I really liked it. Better than I thought I would.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
With that many TS ADRs, you'll want to think about the DxDDP. Unless you have an AP then you might want to forego the DDP and buy the Tables in Wonderland discount card. An AP room-only discount combined with TiW savings can work out better depending on the size of your party.

mousefan1972

With that many TS ADRs, you'll want to think about the DxDDP. Unless you have an AP then you might want to forego the DDP and buy the Tables in Wonderland discount card. An AP room-only discount combined with TiW savings can work out better depending on the size of your party.

I was going to suggest the TiW card, too, then realized that 4/9 days are blacked out for the OP's trip: Dec. 24, 25 and 31, and Jan 1.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I was going to suggest the TiW card, too, then realized that 4/9 days are blacked out for the OP's trip: Dec. 24, 25 and 31, and Jan 1.
Oooooo... Hadn't thought of that. I've never been when there was a blackout day.

Dwarful

how many in your party and what ages? You will be there during seasonal pricing, so take that into account when comparing. Also you'll need to know which ones your going for breakfast/ lunch/ or dinner as those prices vary at each location as well. Once you know what your out of pocket expenses will be then you can call WDW and ask the cost of the DDP. With that many sit downs in a 9 day trip you'd need the dlx. dining...but I think you can use two credits at Cinderellas (we did this a few years ago w/girl scouts) which would be 15 meal credits so far.

John

What I would like to know is how in the world are you going to eat that much food. I always get the regular dining plan and find it hard to eat three meals a day. Not only that, you will be spending an awful lot of time in restruants. Not that its a bad thing. Part of the whole Disney experiance for me is the food. But WOW! you are going to do some eating.
Prepare to gain more then a few pounds. Also remember you picked the most attended time of the year for the parks....That means more time in lines......you know what I always say.....goin' to be butts to n*&s.

mrclean

Original Poster
I know It's a ton of food! The funny thing is I probably weigh only 125lbs after splash mountain gets me wet. It's going to be just just 2 people. I already know what places I'm going to for breakfast / lunch and dinner, and according to many people throughout this thread I should get the deluxe dining plan. I'm going to call in a few days and see how much it's going to cost. I thought about going to a dinner to watch the fireworks, but I feel that the view from main street is the best.

As a side note , I was in shock when certain restaurants are already booked! When I called to place various reservations other nut jobs like my self also called 180 days in advance.

NeriBeri

I've done the premium plan once and we plan on doing it again for our honeymoon. In my opinion, the price is worth it. I eat 6 small meals a day and this plan helps me get in enough snacks/meals throughout the day (you can get fruit at the parks). :) Most of the signature dining experiences offer a lot more food than I could eat, but I still love having the option of trying different cuisines. For us, part of the vacation is enjoying great food over a leisurely meal.

And remember, it's only a ton of food if you eat everything on your plate. ;)

I say get the deluxe dining plan and enjoy your vacation!

mickeysshoes

We always get the plan, delux, and we think it is well with it and love that fact that our food is paid in advance. All you have to worry about is the tip.

JohnLocke

I think the Dining Plan is really good, and a pretty good way for you to not have to carry around as much cash, since all you will need it for is the tip, but I would really suggest cutting down on the number your doing. I think that the regular DDP with 1 TS is great and plenty of food for a single day. You also have to take into account the amount of time it actually takes for a TS meal to take place. You can easily lose an hour and 1/2 or more from your time in the parks on a single meal.

DABIGCHEEZ

That is alot of sit downs for 9 days. Alot food and time in the restaurants when you could be enjoying the attractions as well. If you do not mind the time spent at meals and away from the attractions and also are looking to gorge and gain alot of weight... please disregard.

DABIGCHEEZ

I've done the premium plan once and we plan on doing it again for our honeymoon. In my opinion, the price is worth it. I eat 6 small meals a day and this plan helps me get in enough snacks/meals throughout the day (you can get fruit at the parks). :) Most of the signature dining experiences offer a lot more food than I could eat, but I still love having the option of trying different cuisines. For us, part of the vacation is enjoying great food over a leisurely meal.

And remember, it's only a ton of food if you eat everything on your plate. ;)

I say get the deluxe dining plan and enjoy your vacation!

Better to pay in advance for excess food you will just throw away... makes perfect sense.:rolleyes:

DABIGCHEEZ

I'm going to judge you on how you chose to spend your money on your vacation; I'd appreciate the same courtesy.

I am sure you will do whatever you want to do with your money... Just as I will continue to have my opinion that it is wasteful. You just gotta deal with it.

Tomi-Rocket

absolutely....

With all the places you want to go to I would absolutely get the DDP. However, like others said you might be better off getting the Deluxe DDP. Let me warn you, we did that and not only is that A LOT of food (make sure to leave plenty of time in between all your ADR's) but we also spent over $300 just on tips. But you do get great food, there wasn't a place that we didn't enjoy. Good luck! :)

marcriss

Hello, We will be going down Dec. 24th:xmas: - Jan 1st:sohappy:, staying at the Pop Century, This is my first time I booked various Dinner reservations in advance due to the peak season. I wanted to know since I've never purchased the Disney Dining plan, should I ? How much is it etc.. And is it beneficial with all of the reservations i have ?

First of all we have 15 TS meals planned for our 10 day stay in early December. Most of them are breakfast and dinner and then we have a snack somewhere in between, so to me it's not a lot of meals. Plus it's going to be really crowded while you're there so it'll be a nice way to relax and take a break.

As far as the DDP is concerned you need to look at what you'll be ordering and figure in the cost. DH and I split an app and entree a lot so the DDP never really works out for us.

We do get TiW which unfortunately for you won't really apply. (Although if you pass on the DDP and have an AP, with Cindy's Castle you will break even quickly and you get a discount off alcoholic beverages too so even with the blackout dates it may be worthwhile...)

You'll really need to do the math because the deluxe DP will accommodate your existing ADRs but leave you with many more credits to use. The reg DP probably isn't worth it because it won't have enough TS credits. Holiday pricing is high so you really need to figure that in. I think it runs $8 per adult more at breakfast buffets.

Good luck and let us know what you decide (I'm always curious to see when the DDP makes financial sense, more than just convenience)!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom