Should I cancel?

daisyduckie

Original Poster
I need you all to help me figure out what I should do. Should I go or shouldn't I?

A few months ago, in anticipation of the last night of Illuminations I booked a 3 night stay the the All Star Music. The plan was for me and my 27 year old nephew to go and see it on the final night. My nephew is my Disney vacation partner in crime, and we both have a huge soft spot for Illuminations. And yay, I picked the right nights to book! So everything should be great but....

I had to buy a new car. Definitely not something I had planned on. And my Lab had to have surgery, so there is thousands of dollars gone I hadn't planned on. My nephew had autopilot put on his Tesla ($$$), and he has been doing a lot of work on his house. So lots of money going out.

Nephew said he is going to be responsible and not go to say goodbye to Illuminations.😥 I'm thinking I should do the same. But I still am bummed that I didn't get to say goodbye to Wishes! I have an Annual Pass, and the resort is paid for. I would have to pay for airfare (which would be under $300) and food. If I cancel I would get $400 back from the resort.

And, I am to WDW for a week in July. And for 5 days in August to be part of the Star Wars madness.

I really should cancel September, shouldn't I? I really want to, but standing there by myself, crying wouldn't be the same without my Illuminations buddy. Sigh. I don't know what to do. Please help!!!!

eliza61nyc

My vote is no. I definitely know that feeling, one year my dog hobbes needed emergency eye surgery, 4K and in 2017 I had to put in a new roof. yikes 10K.
even with me having an emergency savings, I just could not go on vacation after shelling out that chunk of change.

Disney is great, I'm a huge fanatic but I do think in the long run you'll feel better, saving the cash. WDW isn't going anywhere, it will welcome you with open arms when you get back.

:arghh: real life sucks some times

EOD K9

Daisy, if money isnt an issue, then go. As I am more jaded than most people, to me, it wouldnt be worth it. Parties, parades, fireworks come and go. There are more important things in life. As I said, if money isnt an issue, go for it. There will be other people there to strike up a conversation with.

daisyduckie

Original Poster
With the new car payment I am feeling squeezed right now. Haven't had a car payment in years, so it is a bit stressful.

And yeah, my sister, who I'm going with in July, is well aware of my love of Illuminations. We have many nights planned in Epcot. Won't be the same as seeing it with my nephew one last time, but oh well.

Oh, he did say he might, if he is feeling more flush, join us for a couple of nights in August. So I guess I will hold out hope for that!

MAGICFLOP

The first step is admitting you have a problem... 😏
I would say multiple problems...

Daisy all I can say is that anyone who can afford to go to WDW twice a year, can certainly afford 3 trips... heck, the rate Disney is going, in a few years 2 trips will cost as much as 3..

How about you save the $300 on the airfare and drive the new car? Then you save $150.... (parking at resort is $150)

Can save more money if you parked at the airport (long term) and took the magical express into WDW🆒

epcotisbest

Cancel. The unexpected finance issues were not part of the equation before. Besides, you are going in July and August. See it then and enjoy.

The Mom

Premium Member
Don't forget that there may very well be thousands of people who have the same plan - last chance to see a particular show. I remember going down for the last performance of the Electrical Parade. If we hadn't been staying onsite, we would not have been allowed into the MK due to reaching capacity. As it was, we took one look at the crowds waiting, and turned around and went to Epcot instead.

Trackmaster

Going by yourself can a little depressing, but I go by myself over half the time when I go. You'd be amazed at all of the production that you get in. As a single rider, here are the benefits:

• You can eat where you want, when you want, and what you want.
  • You can drink as much booze, or as little booze as you want. And you get to choose what is drank.
  • You can stay where you want.
  • You can spend as much time, or as little time in the parks as you want.
  • You get access to SRL's. Currently there are three official ones at Disney (Test Track, EE, and RRC), but you can always call out that you're a single rider when a CM walks by in line, and sometimes they can will push you towards the front and fit you in somewhere.
  • Easier to get same day FP+ when you pound the app.
  • You can show up to shows last minute and squeeze yourself in decent seats. And, leave a few minutes before they end to beat the crowds.
  • You'll be more likely to meet new friends. You'll probably never meet new people in groups.
  • Following along the same theme: if you want to leave the resort and sightsee, you're free to do that without argument.

Lensman

I'm thinking it wouldn't be the same without the nephew. Plus I think it's sufficient to say goodbye earlier in the year. The important thing is to know this is the last time you'll see it, more than it being the last showing ever.

That said, everyone is different so you'll have to make up your own mind.

Have there been any hints on anything special Disney is going to do for the last showing?

ppete1975

im curious what state do you live in, if its close the new car might be an option for you and your nephew to go, split gas and parking

danyoung56

A few years back I had a driving trip scheduled from Dallas to Orlando. The day before the trip started, I had to put in a new transmission in my car - about $4K out of pocket. But I went anyway. You just have to decide how important it is to you to see the end of a beloved show. I said goodbye to IllumiNations on my trip in March, only to find out that I'm gonna be there again as it finally ends in October. I'm sure the crowd will be massive, but hey - you live once!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
You'd better go. I have it on high authority that a massive meteor is headed for Earth and will destroy... all the... dinosaurs...

Wait, no, that's a ride in the Animal Kingdom.

But you should still go anyway. You never know about meteors and asteroids...

wdwfan22

I say go. You only live once and you already said you regret missing the fine farewell of wishes. I’d time the trip so you can say goodbye and the next night welcome the new show.

JIMINYCR

Your going is mostly for your enjoyment so going without your nephew although may be different than you planned, you will still get to experience the show one last time. Guess it would mostly depend on how confident you are that you can make up the money drain after doing the trip and not hurt you in other ways. Money can be worked for and as long as you arent spending money that should be used to pay bills and debts, then it wouldnt hurt to go. If you dont go you will regret missing out on something that means a lot to you. If you do go you may have to scrimp on other lifes things for a while until you are better financially set. If it was me... I'd go.

winstongator

Don't forget that there may very well be thousands of people who have the same plan - last chance to see a particular show. I remember going down for the last performance of the Electrical Parade. If we hadn't been staying onsite, we would not have been allowed into the MK due to reaching capacity. As it was, we took one look at the crowds waiting, and turned around and went to Epcot instead.
I went the Saturday of MSEP’s last weekend, so the second to last night, iirc. We weren’t onsite and didn’t have trouble getting in. Second to last night might not have been as crowded. That was hurricane Matthew weekend too. We were planning on heading to wdw, but had to make a longer trip as our area evacuated. We didn’t plan the trip special for MSEP, but got lucky.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom