Should I cancel since there's no FP+, fireworks, limited dining, etc.? When will it return?

MJJME

I have had to cancel 2 trips due to COVID (April 2020 canceled and August 2020 rescheduled b of travel ban)...……….We are currently rescheduled for April 2021 but we will not come if there are no FP+, limited dining, no fireworks, no shows, facemasks, etc...……….Its not worth all the money to travel and not have those options...………….Are there any educated guesses or opinions when WDW will be "back to normal"?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In my opinion, too many people have been making FastPasses months in advance for Disney to completely eliminate that option. They would have to do it without making it seem like they are taking away something many guests find valuable. A lot of people feel the current FP+ system has become unworkable, so it’s likely to be changed. But I would be very surprised if Disney didn’t retain some sort of advance ride reservation system - maybe a free/paid hybrid. We’ll just have to wait and see what they do.
Well if rumors were true (im usually not a fan of those)...fastpass+ was already identified as a huge problem, was being scheduled for replacement, and covid May be a good excuse to knock it out and Directly put in new system coming out of it...

But all speculation.

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
Well if rumors were true (im usually not a fan of those)...fastpass+ was already identified as a huge problem, was being scheduled for replacement, and covid May be a good excuse to knock it out and Directly put in new system coming out of it...

But all speculation.
Absolutely. I believe a new system is coming, but I suspect it’s going to be something entirely new. It’s easier to sell a new system to people than to just limit the old one, which is what a version of MaxPass would do. It’s certainly going to be interesting to see what they put in place.

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Absolutely. I believe a new system is coming, but I suspect it’s going to be something entirely new. It’s easier to sell a new system to people than to just limit the old one, which is what a version of MaxPass would do. It’s certainly going to be interesting to see what they put in place.
Have you ever used maxpass?

I absolutely loved it...but it would be utterly offensive in Orlando due to its reasonable price and simple effectiveness

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
Have you ever used maxpass?

I absolutely loved it...but it would be utterly offensive in Orlando due to its reasonable price and simple effectiveness
No I never have. I probably could adapt to it but we got used to going to water parks or pools in the mornings and going to the theme parks after lunch or in the early evening. It seems our pace is a little slower these days - even our mornings in the parks rarely start before 10:30, after a leisurely breakfast at the resort. Would MaxPass be compatible with our way of doing things? On our last trip, we were able to get evening FP+ for FOP and SDD. I don’t know how that would work with MaxPass.

I love FP+ because it works for me, but I understand that it doesn’t work well for everyone and it doesn’t seem to be working all that well for Disney anymore (if it ever did). I’m sure any new system will take some getting used to, but that’s life. Things change.

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No I never have. I probably could adapt to it but we got used to going to water parks or pools in the mornings and going to the theme parks after lunch or in the early evening. It seems our pace is a little slower these days - even our mornings in the parks rarely start before 10:30, after a leisurely breakfast at the resort. Would MaxPass be compatible with our way of doing things? On our last trip, we were able to get evening FP+ for FOP and SDD. I don’t know how that would work with MaxPass.

I love FP+ because it works for me, but I understand that it doesn’t work well for everyone and it doesn’t seem to be working all that well for Disney anymore (if it ever did). I’m sure any new system will take some getting used to, but that’s life. Things change.
I think it would...took me a day or so to get the hang of it...but once I did it was pretty awesome.

The beauty of it is it’s a cross between advance booking and inpark availability...as people move through the queues, it adjusts and puts more slots in the system that pop up on your phone. Then as the rides go through quickly, doesn’t seem to be the ridiculous wdw backlog.

I had 3 or even 4 rides queued at 6 o’clock in August in Disneyland and the availability was far superior to anything I’ve ever seen inpark on the frankly embarrassing fastpass+

I thought it was an effective balance between planning, flexibility and paid access with a somewhat reasonable fee.

Upvote 0

MrHappy

I know this isn’t a FP+ thread, but man am I going to miss getting up early 6 months before my trip to book attractions at times close to what me and my stupid spreadsheet had previously planned and if off by even 10 minutes than what me and my stupid spreadsheet had meticulously planned then my vacation felt ruined even before I had the chance to buy new socks for it. RIP FP.

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
I think it would...took me a day or so to get the hang of it...but once I did it was pretty awesome.

The beauty of it is it’s a cross between advance booking and inpark availability...as people move through the queues, it adjusts and puts more slots in the system that pop up on your phone. Then as the rides go through quickly, doesn’t seem to be the ridiculous wdw backlog.

I had 3 or even 4 rides queued at 6 o’clock in August in Disneyland and the availability was far superior to anything I’ve ever seen inpark on the frankly embarrassing fastpass+

I thought it was an effective balance between planning, flexibility and paid access with a somewhat reasonable fee.
Thanks for the reply - I don't mind getting up early to book FastPasses, but I'm not crazy about the idea of having to get up early when I'm actually on vacation. The words "somewhat reasonable fee" are not usually associated with Disney, so that part is encouraging.

Like the OP, I'm concerned about how WDW is going to change after all this, and whether it will still be our go-to family vacation. The main draw is that there is enough variety to appeal to people of different ages; we rent a car, but if some of the group wants to break off and go to a different park, relax at a pool, explore the resorts, hang out late at Scat Cat's, or whatever, transportation is easy and free. DVC has worked out amazingly well for us, but I always worry that there's some change around the corner that will be a deal-breaker.

Upvote 0

drizgirl

I know this isn’t a FP+ thread, but man am I going to miss getting up early 6 months before my trip to book attractions at times close to what me and my stupid spreadsheet had previously planned and if off by even 10 minutes than what me and my stupid spreadsheet had meticulously planned then my vacation felt ruined even before I had the chance to buy new socks for it. RIP FP.
Nailed it!

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply - I don't mind getting up early to book FastPasses, but I'm not crazy about the idea of having to get up early when I'm actually on vacation. The words "somewhat reasonable fee" are not usually associated with Disney, so that part is encouraging.

Like the OP, I'm concerned about how WDW is going to change after all this, and whether it will still be our go-to family vacation. The main draw is that there is enough variety to appeal to people of different ages; we rent a car, but if some of the group wants to break off and go to a different park, relax at a pool, explore the resorts, hang out late at Scat Cat's, or whatever, transportation is easy and free. DVC has worked out amazingly well for us, but I always worry that there's some change around the corner that will be a deal-breaker.
Well that’s just it...the rolling nature of the max pass means you don’t have to do rope drops...the system appears to be much more dynamic.
I picked up RSR mid day and had little trouble getting screamin, tower, space, big thunder, IJA, etc...

Also: when did they put in the DVC at port orleans?🤪

DVC was a great deal...it’s literally one of the best purchases I’ve ever made (like the fools on the in room tv)...
But I’ve felt for years as they overbuild, overcharge, and modify the hotels to accommodate them with “new philosophies” that the bottom is always close to falling out.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Well that’s just it...the rolling nature of the max pass means you don’t have to do rope drops...the system appears to be much more dynamic.
I picked up RSR mid day and had little trouble getting screamin, tower, space, big thunder, IJA, etc...

DVC was a great deal...it’s literally one of the best purchases I’ve ever made (like the fools on the in room tv)...
But I’ve felt for years as they overbuild, overcharge, and modify the hotels to accommodate them with “new philosophies” that the bottom is always close to falling out.
He didn’t say anything about DVC at Port Orleans, he mentioned hanging out there. You know you can visit other resorts, right?

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member

We stay mostly at the DVC resorts now, but occasionally do a cash stay at the Port Orleans resorts because they are still my favorites. Our home resort is SSR and taking the boat to Scat Cat's at POFQ is one of our favorite things to do in the evenings. If I want to visit POR I'm on my own, though, because my husband has some weird phobia about Yee Ha Bob.

I still remember the day we bought into DVC. We were at a local mall and my husband called me from one of the DVC stores they had in those days. I recall yelling something like, "Get out of there! Don't you know it's a timeshare?" One of the best decisions we ever made.

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We stay mostly at the DVC resorts now, but occasionally do a cash stay at the Port Orleans resorts because they are still my favorites. Our home resort is SSR and taking the boat to Scat Cat's at POFQ is one of our favorite things to do in the evenings. If I want to visit POR I'm on my own, though, because my husband has some weird phobia about Yee Ha Bob.

I still remember the day we bought into DVC. We were at a local mall and my husband called me from one of the DVC stores they had in those days. I recall yelling something like, "Get out of there! Don't you know it's a timeshare?" One of the best decisions we ever made.
Totally get that. We are shockingly a lot more similar than I had originally thought.

I remember the “sales centers”. One was Chicago (yours) and one was in Nassau County on Long Island just east of NYC...I think at the Roosevelt mall?

Upvote 0

yensid67

It is VERY HARD to TRY to plan a vacation for DIsney right now! I am a little weary of my vacation in September 2022...I cannot plan anything with prices because THEY WILL CHANGE MANY TIMES before then! So my plans are on hold, even that far out. I am even starting to figure that the trip MAY BE CANCELED...everything is such a mess nowadays! WE NEED NORMALCY!

Upvote 0

aliceismad

It is VERY HARD to TRY to plan a vacation for DIsney right now! I am a little weary of my vacation in September 2022...I cannot plan anything with prices because THEY WILL CHANGE MANY TIMES before then! So my plans are on hold, even that far out. I am even starting to figure that the trip MAY BE CANCELED...everything is such a mess nowadays! WE NEED NORMALCY!
Unfortunately, normalcy is impossible in a situation that is unprecedented and in which we are continually learning and altering the gameplan. Any travel plans I make right now are tentative at best and flexible. But it's still nice to think about. It is very difficult to budget though, if I'm trying to come up with a cost to save up for, because you're right that prices are wonky.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MrHappy

September 2022? I think you can slow down on the planning for now.

Upvote 0
I have had to cancel 2 trips due to COVID (April 2020 canceled and August 2020 rescheduled b of travel ban)...……….We are currently rescheduled for April 2021 but we will not come if there are no FP+, limited dining, no fireworks, no shows, facemasks, etc...……….Its not worth all the money to travel and not have those options...………….Are there any educated guesses or opinions when WDW will be "back to normal"?
As much as I adore Disney. I'm going to take my people elsewhere (Ireland/Scotland), Yellowstone, etc. Disney is still asking too much for too little. I'm not a Universal guy, born and raised on WDW, but at least this time Universal got it right. Deals in proportion to available activities. Eliminating dining plan during this is nonsense. Having an increase during this is nonsense. And a bunch of people on here who worship the mouse regardless of what it does will make empty arguments as to why they are doing it. But as for me and my house.... I'll stay away until it's worth the price tag again. Just to be clear I've been on property since first rope drop in a diaper every year and stopped counting after my 100th stay on property. So yes I've helped pay for all this. But remember if we don't show our displeasure by not booking, they have no reason to look at thier behavior. As to your question (since none of this rant has to do with your question) Disney has always been awesome and expensive. But I don't think anyone should pay that much for 50% anything. For me? The wonky Haunted Mansion entrance and no Happily Ever After along with no decent dining option alone are reasons enough I won't be returning soon.

Upvote 0

teachmph

We went in July and it was amazing. yes..the masks are hot, but we dealt with it. The lines were awesome....NONE! Weekend days got a little busier but the weekdays were great! Peter Pan...tops 20 min wait...walked on to FOP and Expedition Everest....Splash Mountain had a slight wait only because of the re-theming. BTM was walk on! No parades...but they do cavalcades which is so much better..no sitting around waiting.

We were able to get reservations for sit downs with no problem....I would go again if there wasn't 2 week quarantine here in NY....but the summer was great!

Upvote 0

Djsfantasi

Hey, maybe we’ll see you! I have April 2021 reservations.

As to using a crystal ball as to when things get back to “normal”, I’m making my plans based on Spring 2022.

We have yet to experience a second wave. People are still chafing under the restrictions. Even if we get a vaccine before the end of the year, it will take around 6 months to manufacture and distribute a vaccine nationwide. Then, at least a year for the infection ratio to descend to normal levels. It took 4 years for the polio vaccine to have an effect; 44 years before WHO to declare it defeated and there are still outbreaks today, another 25 years later.

This virus is unique in many ways. We are doing well as it is.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom