Should I cancel since there's no FP+, fireworks, limited dining, etc.? When will it return?

MJJME

I have had to cancel 2 trips due to COVID (April 2020 canceled and August 2020 rescheduled b of travel ban)...……….We are currently rescheduled for April 2021 but we will not come if there are no FP+, limited dining, no fireworks, no shows, facemasks, etc...……….Its not worth all the money to travel and not have those options...………….Are there any educated guesses or opinions when WDW will be "back to normal"?

Tinkerfan4ever

Less time in lines is def better than more so if you call that "conditioned", then yes im conditioned and I don't know anyone who wouldn't take a FP to any ride vs not taking one

I went on a trip in August. I too feel conditioned to get fast passes. Up until the day we left, I considered canceling the trip. I am SO glad that I didn't. It was one of my favorite trips to date. The crowds were low, I was able to get on FOP 3 times with less than a 10 min wait each time (and that was just the time it took to walk thru the que). I ended up liking not having the FP+.
Was there some stuff that was missing? Sure, I missed the fireworks, and some restaurants. But did the other stuff make up for it, absolutely in my mind.

No one knows what April is going to look like. I would say the crowds will still be lower due to the park reservation system in place thru Sept 2021. But if you don't think you will have a good time without the FP+, then you should consider canceling. But I felt the same way and am glad I didn't cancel.

Upvote 0

Jon81uk

Less time in lines is def better than more so if you call that "conditioned", then yes im conditioned and I don't know anyone who wouldn't take a FP to any ride vs not taking one

But FP doesn't mean less time in lines full stop.
If you can have a 5 minute wait for one ride with FP and then a 55 minute standby wait for something else, you waited an hour to do two attractions.
Or with no FP you might have a half hour wait for both rides and therefore still wait an hour to do two attractions.
Plus the line moves more so the wait feels shorter.

Just because Disney made you think FP is saving you time, doesn't mean it actually is overall.

Also if you are wishing for paid FP (more like Universal) it will not be cheap, for example at Disneyland Paris in the low season it is $45 (€36) to skip the wait on just three attractions and only those paying for concierge level rooms get any "free" benefits, everyone else in an on-site hotel there gets nothing except extra hours.

For me no parade, shows and especially fireworks is the deal breaker. Its not worth the price going to Disney without the nighttime show.

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
We're planning to go in May 2021, but keeping an eye on the situation to see if it would be worth it for us. No one knows what will happen, but I'm not expecting everything to be back to pre-COVID levels by then. If that's the only way you will be happy, postponing until another year may be the answer.

We've taken more than 50 trips to Disney over the course of 36 years and worked with every system they've had in place. Some work better for us than others, but I can honestly say that we have never had a bad vacation. In my opinion, the two most important requirements for a Disney vacation are a positive attitude and the flexibility to be willing to work with Disney's system, whatever it may be. If you can't or don't want to be flexible, that may be a problem this April.

Unfortunately, this situation is unprecedented. No one knows with certainty what will happen.

Upvote 0

MJJME

Original Poster
We're planning to go in May 2021, but keeping an eye on the situation to see if it would be worth it for us. No one knows what will happen, but I'm not expecting everything to be back to pre-COVID levels by then. If that's the only way you will be happy, postponing until another year may be the answer.

We've taken more than 50 trips to Disney over the course of 36 years and worked with every system they've had in place. Some work better for us than others, but I can honestly say that we have never had a bad vacation. In my opinion, the two most important requirements for a Disney vacation are a positive attitude and the flexibility to be willing to work with Disney's system, whatever it may be. If you can't or don't want to be flexible, that may be a problem this April.

Unfortunately, this situation is unprecedented. No one knows with certainty what will happen.
this is why we are likely to reschedule unless the HHS statements today come to fruition (said all americans should have vaccine by APril)

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
this is why we are likely to reschedule unless the HHS statements today come to fruition (said all americans should have vaccine by APril)
There was also an article going around yesterday about a possible quick result COVID test that could be given to guests so only those without the virus would be admitted - and would have a less hospital-like experience.

Upvote 0

MJJME

Original Poster
There was also an article going around yesterday about a possible quick result COVID test that could be given to guests so only those without the virus would be admitted - and would have a less hospital-like experience.
that would be huge for places like Disney, sporting events, concerts, etc

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I think you're right and will likely cancel and wait for another time with more certainty......…Could do trip to Universal and stay there to guarantee all the attractions with the Express pass and skip Disney for a few more years..........Not ideal for me or disney but i like the certainty of Universal
So many guests are bailing out because they are seeing their experience/cost as being much less than what they are willing to accept. It comes down to how you perceive the total enjoyment of your trip to be. I for example dont care about less parades, shows or character M&Gs. So Disney removing those from my day doesnt affect my ability to enjoy the total day or 2 weeks I'm on vacation there. I'll still get enough other pleasure during my trip to make it enjoyable. Wearing a mask or using mobile ordering again isnt ruining my time.
If the missing FP+ feature is going to affect your trip so much that it takes away a major portion of your enjoyment and other entertainment and attractions wont make up for that, them cancel. You best know what your family can handle that makes or breaks your Disney trip.

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

I don't care if they dont bring back FP+.........I am just looking to have advanced reservations in some form......……..I am willing to pay for FP if it assures my family of the trip we are looking for...…..When you go as infrequently as we do, I just want to know in advance we can do what we want and we just build it into the overall expense of going...……...Once you are spending as much as we do (2 adults 4 children in hotel for 7 days with park tickets, food, flights, extras, misc) then spending a little bit more to get FP is a drop in the bucket to know my plans are in place as opposed to going and not getting on our preferred rides
I didn't think I would go back until things were "normal", but my DW & I are taking our second "Disneymoon" the first week in December...yes, I know, no parades, fireworks, DDP, etc., but it will be like our first Disneymoon in '93...they didn't have any of those perks, and we flew by the seats of our pants and THAT'S what made us Disney lifers...just out of curiosity, let's say you made your FP's, got there and your favorite ride, the one you REALLY wanted to go on suddenly goes down for the whole week you're there? Or you're only in the one park one day and the ride goes down for the day? I know someone who was there about a month ago, and there were rides that the CM's were letting them stay seated and went on 5 times in a row! Under the circumstances, things will be "fluid"...I don't think there will be even close to normal for 2 years. If you can wait that long, fine! If not, you will have to, and everyone else in your party, be a little less rigid in your planning (and we go like you, every 2 years or so), so I guess you will have to weigh getting back there or waiting it out. It sounds like you aren't willing to compromise, so for your sanity, I'd cancel.

Upvote 0

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I didn't think I would go back until things were "normal", but my DW & I are taking our second "Disneymoon" the first week in December...yes, I know, no parades, fireworks, DDP, etc., but it will be like our first Disneymoon in '93...they didn't have any of those perks, and we flew by the seats of our pants and THAT'S what made us Disney lifers...just out of curiosity, let's say you made your FP's, got there and your favorite ride, the one you REALLY wanted to go on suddenly goes down for the whole week you're there? Or you're only in the one park one day and the ride goes down for the day? I know someone who was there about a month ago, and there were rides that the CM's were letting them stay seated and went on 5 times in a row! Under the circumstances, things will be "fluid"...I don't think there will be even close to normal for 2 years. If you can wait that long, fine! If not, you will have to, and everyone else in your party, be a little less rigid in your planning (and we go like you, every 2 years or so), so I guess you will have to weigh getting back there or waiting it out. It sounds like you aren't willing to compromise, so for your sanity, I'd cancel.

I'll see you there!

Upvote 0

Jon81uk

yes, I know, no parades, fireworks, DDP, etc., but it will be like our first Disneymoon in '93...they didn't have any of those perks,
I know your point, there was no DDP or FP back then, but there definitely was parades and fireworks back in 1993!

Pretty certain WDW has offered some form of parade since the beginning and the Fantasy in the Sky fireworks ran for 32 years before getting replaced with Wishes.

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

I know your point, there was no DDP or FP back then, but there definitely was parades and fireworks back in 1993!

Pretty certain WDW has offered some form of parade since the beginning and the Fantasy in the Sky fireworks ran for 32 years before getting replaced with Wishes.
Yes, I know there were parades and fireworks, but they weren't such a big deal as they are now...back then it was just a little extra, now it's something you plan for as a guest. I was mainly talking about the FP and DDP

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

I think you're right and will likely cancel and wait for another time with more certainty......…Could do trip to Universal and stay there to guarantee all the attractions with the Express pass and skip Disney for a few more years..........Not ideal for me or disney but i like the certainty of Universal
Even Universal isn't a certainty in this environment, there have been days when their parks have closed due to reaching capacity

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Yes, I know there were parades and fireworks, but they weren't such a big deal as they are now...back then it was just a little extra, now it's something you plan for as a guest. I was mainly talking about the FP and DDP
Not that they werent such a big deal years ago but more that the numbers of guests at any time increased and the sidewalks and viewing spaces got packed like never before. The need to preplan for these increased and Disney saw a way to monetize the events by selling viewing spaces with desserts.

Upvote 0

Jon81uk

I think parades and fireworks have always been a part of the big deal that is a Disney theme park. I’ve never thought of them as a little extra, more a really massive extra. No other theme park does fireworks pretty much every single night 365 days a year.

The difference in the last 10 years has been the projections and other effects that mean you need to be in the hub to get the full experience.

Upvote 0

aliceismad

I think parades and fireworks have always been a part of the big deal that is a Disney theme park. I’ve never thought of them as a little extra, more a really massive extra. No other theme park does fireworks pretty much every single night 365 days a year.
I agree. The parade and the fireworks (and Tinkerbell!) are pretty much all I remember from my earliest trip to Disneyland as a kid. That was more than 3 decades ago. I can see how their absence would detract from some people's visits, especially with small kiddos who can't do the "big rides." When we went last year with a 5 year old, we planned all our evenings around the firework shows/nighttime entertainment. For us, they're not a "must do" but they're certainly a big perk.

Upvote 0

Ben_since_1971

I have not read all the posts in this thread, but I read enough. If you are asking now whether you should cancel your April trip, then I would cancel. There is no guarantee WDW will be in any capacity that you seem to be desiring and from what I have seen and read, most of what you require will not be in place. The situation is way too fluid for any type of structured plans. If you are looking to commit to Disney now and hope that stuff will be available, I have a feeling you will be greatly disappointed.

I just returned from a 7 night trip (8th-15th), and I did not make my final 'go' call until two weeks prior to departure. There were too many variables I had to consider, primarily the situation on the ground in Florida and Orange County. Now this was a solo trip for me, and while some of the current changes were not to my preference (reduced hours and closed dining/shops), I had a great time. But then again. I have gone every year since 1997 so Disney Lite wasn't too bad. The only park that seemed hurt by it all was Epcot.

If capacity restrictions are still in place, and travel demand has not increased by April, you will not miss FP+. Like you, I enjoyed being able to plan out that aspect of the trip (especially when my wife and I went). I liked that certainty. But during this past trip, I was able to do everything I wanted to do in a matter of hours. I did not need FP at all. FoP was maybe 20 minutes. MMRR was longer, but to be expected.

Back to my original suggestion - you should probably cancel. Sounds like your definition of 'normal' is WDW circa March 10. TBH, I don't know we ever could return to that, and if so, late 2021 if not 2022. Disney is taking a very cautious and deliberate approach, and any question regarding 'when will they do X' should be answered with a huge TBD.

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
In my opinion, too many people have been making FastPasses months in advance for Disney to completely eliminate that option. They would have to do it without making it seem like they are taking away something many guests find valuable. A lot of people feel the current FP+ system has become unworkable, so it’s likely to be changed. But I would be very surprised if Disney didn’t retain some sort of advance ride reservation system - maybe a free/paid hybrid. We’ll just have to wait and see what they do.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom