Should Great Movie Ride's Replacement Also Include Replacing Chinese Theater Facade?

Should The Great Movie Ride's replacement include replacing the facade?

• No, the Chinese Theater facade should remain as the centerpiece of MGM Studios.

Votes: 59 59.6%
  • Yes, the facade should be changed to something new for the future attraction.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Undecided. It depends on what the new attraction is. The Chinese Theater facade may or may not wor

Votes: 33 33.3%

• Total voters

WDWScottieBoy

Boo's Mom said:
not to sound rude but I wasn't trying to start an argument I was just stating my opinion I do think the GMR needs to be updated. The wizard of oz scene does need some updating....well make it the whole ride. it just needs some touch ups here and there, getting the AA's to work along with the music etc. and the actors need to be retrained. you would think doing it every day almost, they would have the parts down pat.

Sorry that I came off rude. I didn't think you were starting one, but I didn't want others to start an argument from that. I do think the ride could use some updating like you said. They should go back to the concept artwork they had for it and actually do everything they had planned. Then it would be cool (of course using all new technology of course).

WDWScottieBoy

tigger248 said:
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who likes that part. I just really like how it starts with the beginning of movies and works it's way forward with some great masterpieces.

Singin' in the Rain is a great musical and I agree that it's a shame that they couldn't do more with it.

Singin' in the Rain and the Casablanca parts are the two I remember most. They are two of my dad's favorite movies and I've grown up listening to the songs and hearing the quotes from those movies. I can't help but think of GMR losing those two parts. I think maybe some new AA would help those parts but all in all, it's an excellent ride.

tigger248

I really like the Casablanca part too. It's one of my mom's favorite movies. She tried for years to get me to watch it. I finally did when I took French civilization and culture my freshmen year of college and had to do a movie review project. Since we were on that part of history, I did mine on Casablanca and the movie was great! It was one of those movies that I wished I had watched earlier. I remember when I first mentioned that I wanted to watch it and she was real excited.

cherrynegra

Okay, I'll go out on a limb and say that they should keep the facade, and totally revamp the ride. If Disney/MGM is to now be known as the Disney Studios, then I wouldn't mind seeing the ride filled with scenes from Disney Movies. And the Aliens portion of the ride could be replaced with something from Signs. The musicals portion of the ride could be replaced with scenes from the MANY Disney musicals. Like replacing Wizard of Oz with the Mary Poppins when she's jolly holidaying with the kids and Bert. In fact you could probably fill the entire attraction with musical scenes from Disney movies.

I know. I know. I'm going to get shot for suggesting these changes, but I thought it would be an interesting twist. Now, please excuse me as I run for cover from the mob being led my Grizz. :lookaroun

WDWScottieBoy

cherrynegra said:
Okay, I'll go out on a limb and say that they should keep the facade, and totally revamp the ride. If Disney/MGM is to now be known as the Disney Studios, then I wouldn't mind seeing the ride filled with scenes from Disney Movies. And the Aliens portion of the ride could be replaced with something from Signs. The musicals portion of the ride could be replaced with scenes from the MANY Disney musicals. Like replacing Wizard of Oz with the Mary Poppins when she's jolly holidaying with the kids and Bert. In fact you could probably fill the entire attraction with musical scenes from Disney movies.

I know. I know. I'm going to get shot for suggesting these changes, but I thought it would be an interesting twist. Now, please excuse me as I run for cover from the mob being led my Grizz. :lookaroun

Not a bad idea either. I don't know about putting something from Signs in there though. Adding more Mary Poppings, there already is a scene in there, maybe just redo the AA, don't put a whole new scene in as well.

jrashadb

I agree with cherrynegra... kinda.
I'm not exactly sure how, but the ride must be updated. I think they should keep the ride and keep the facade, but the riide desperately, desperately needs new blood to stay relevant.
My only problem is ... well ... You know they;re going to replace one of the really cool scenes for something stupid... my trust in the immagineers has gone way down.

yensidtlaw1969

cherrynegra said:

Why not replace Alien with Stitch? Tarzan with either animated Disney Tarzan or Peter Pan, Casablanca with The Tea Party in Alice in Wonderland ( I don't know why, It just sounds fun ), Indiana Jones with I dunno, The City Scene with Oliver and Company, Wizard of Oz either keep or Snow White ( it's got all the little short people already lol )Singin' with Pinocchio maybe ( again, just sounds fun ) keep Sorcerers Apprentice, just edit Mickey out of the Projection, keep the projection, and add a REEEEEALLY advanced animatronic, and, ya. Just some Ideas!

pppapazo

yensidtlaw1969 said:
Why not replace Alien with Stitch? Tarzan with either animated Disney Tarzan or Peter Pan, Casablanca with The Tea Party in Alice in Wonderland ( I don't know why, It just sounds fun ), Indiana Jones with I dunno, The City Scene with Oliver and Company, Wizard of Oz either keep or Snow White ( it's got all the little short people already lol )Singin' with Pinocchio maybe ( again, just sounds fun ) keep Sorcerers Apprentice, just edit Mickey out of the Projection, keep the projection, and add a REEEEEALLY advanced animatronic, and, ya. Just some Ideas!

Why not? Because we can see all of these characters elsewhere in WDW. Many of them have dark rides of their own (of course, some of them are Disneyland exclusives). In fact, this is what Fantasyland is for.

The Great Movie Ride is a showcase for great movies of all kind. Musicals, Adventure, Romance, Sci-Fi, Animation, Westerns, Fantasy, etc. are all included as a way of paying tribute to the vast scope of filmmaking. Now, sure, some of the sections can afford to be spruced up or replaced. But I would rather not have it turned into a glorified Fantasyland dark ride.

And who knows, maybe a handful of youngsters will be encouraged to actually go out and see many of the great, classic films presented in the Great Movie Ride.

Peter

General Grizz

pppapazo said:
Why not? Because we can see all of these characters elsewhere in WDW. Many of them have dark rides of their own (of course, some of them are Disneyland exclusives). In fact, this is what Fantasyland is for.

The Great Movie Ride is a showcase for great movies of all kind. Musicals, Adventure, Romance, Sci-Fi, Animation, Westerns, Fantasy, etc. are all included as a way of paying tribute to the vast scope of filmmaking. Now, sure, some of the sections can afford to be spruced up or replaced. But I would rather not have it turned into a glorified Fantasyland dark ride.

And who knows, maybe a handful of youngsters will be encouraged to actually go out and see many of the great, classic films presented in the Great Movie Ride.

Peter
Mass applause!! I would stick away from such things as the "Little Mermaid" or "Lilo and Stitch," but films that are KNOWN American Classics, all worthy of a place in the 100 AFI films. Alien could be replaced, but make sure to keep the already-classic sci-fi feel.

"Hooray for Hollywood!"

Boo's Mom

WDWScottieBoy said:
Sorry that I came off rude. I didn't think you were starting one, but I didn't want others to start an argument from that. I do think the ride could use some updating like you said. They should go back to the concept artwork they had for it and actually do everything they had planned. Then it would be cool (of course using all new technology of course).

nah you didn't come off rude I just didn't want to sound rude in my reply lol. but i totally agree with everything you said!

movieride

The Fantasia Scene was originally supposed to be like the Tornado that took Dorothy to Oz, which explains the wind and thecoldness. I forget the exact reason it was scrapped, I believe MGM didn't want Disney to use it or something, I'm not exactly sure. Can anyone add on? I'd like to remember the reason, but my brain is jello, so, ya. Thanks!

During my training I was told that the reason the tornado scene was scrapped was due to liscencing issues (with MGM I believe). Disney was only allowed a certain amount of time for guests to spend in "The Wizard of Oz" ( something like 2 minutes) so the tornado scene was cut because they would have gone over the time limit allowed legally.

This change to "Fantasia" happend very near to the opening of the ride, and is why some feel it is one of the weaker scenes. There's a reason why that tunnel is shaped like a tornado with howling wind- that's what it nearly became! Instead of shooting stars being projected in the walls it would have been the objects and people Dorothy saw out her window- it would have been great...and more appropriate! All tourguides feel a little rushed delivering the Fantasia spiel- because there's not much time between the end of "Casablanca" and the beginning of "Oz". Oh well. I do like that "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" from "Fantasia" is included in the ride.

Although if it wasn't for this kwirky late addition, someone might not have had the bright idea to go further and put an enlarged Sorcerer's hat out front blocking the whole building!! :brick: DOH!!

movieride

...and I know I'm biased, but I adore this ride and would love to see it live on forever!
..even if it means a refurb similar to what we'll probably witness at the Haunted Mansion (Digital audio, enhancements, new scene..etc) whatever helps it live on. Just don't ever take away the tourguides! This ride defines the Studios and can continue to do so with a little TLC:sohappy: !

Patsc85

I know this thread is almost 4 years old? BUT I have to say this. Keep the facade...it is too closely tied into the parks Identity as much as Disney might not want it to be. Keep the Great Movie Ride...but update it, take out some scenes replace them with new ones....fix broken scenes. Or hell they could just send the CM's in there with swiffer dusters one night and the ride would look 10x better.

ohioguy

Actually, The Great Movie Ride building should be demolished. Since the Sorcerer's hat is going nowhere, and the Chinese theater building is hidden behind it, why not simply get rid of the building and create a new central hub for the Studios.

Look closely at the Studios map...simply razing the theater building would create space to finally allow a more centralized hub and spoke design for the Studios, instead of the half-assed layout we have now.

CThaddeus

Actually, The Great Movie Ride building should be demolished. Since the Sorcerer's hat is going nowhere, and the Chinese theater building is hidden behind it, why not simply get rid of the building and create a new central hub for the Studios.

Look closely at the Studios map...simply razing the theater building would create space to finally allow a more centralized hub and spoke design for the Studios, instead of the half-assed layout we have now.

This is something I hope never happens. The Great Movie Ride is the best attraction in Disney-MGM (I'm still calling it that until January), and one of the best in Disney's history of attractions. To destroy it would be a travesty and would seriously reduce the grandeur of a Park that seems to be only known now for two cheap (okay, expensive) thrill rides. GMR is the heart of the Park.
While I'm not strongly in favor of changing the facade, I would happily let them do it in a second if it meant that freakin' Hat would be moved, blown up, or whatever. Perhaps now that MGM is being removed from the name they could move the Hat to be a connector to the Animation Courtyard area. This way it's still somewhat central for those who (for whatever reason) like it, and the GMR could be a prominent attraction once again. Keep it themed toward the 20s and 30s, keep it looking like something vaguely Hollywood-ish (since that IS in the new name), and give it the respect it deserves.
And as for the interior, for the most part, don't mess with a practically perfect thing. I could ride this attraction all day and not get tired of it. Updates here and there would be fine, as would improving the AAs or periodically changing some of the films represented (I'm not a fan of "Gone With the Wind," yet it does deserve a place in there somewhere), but I don't want to see it becoming all Disney (as Disney doesn't have the market cornered on Great Movies), nor do I want to see it dumbed down. The TCM/AFI approach is the right way to go, to my way of thinking. If people can't appreciate classic movies, then to heck with them. They can go watch the High School Musical show or Lights, Motors, Action. Just let me see that wonderful attraction when I first enter the Park again! To Hades with the Hat!

Epcot82Guy

I enjoy the attraction quite a bit (albeit with an update).

A thought I had when I was down there next week:
Why not expand the Chinese Theater to include other famous facades of theaters. Obviously, they wouldn't be useable as the Icon, but I think having recreations of some (including the El Capitan, of course) flanking either side of the hat would work much better. Granted, this may not get around the issues of using them as part of the icon, but I think it would create a more cohesive background to the hat that, when approached, opened up to reveal the entryway to TGMR. That would make more sense and would look less like the hat was covering something up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom