Should Disney look into Virtual Queues?

djdan888

Original Poster
So with the launch of Volcano Bay, Universal has dived head first into the land of no queues. I understand it has not been a very smooth launch but I expect it to eventually work itself out. Should Disney look into this for future attractions? Basically give everyone access to the same system they have been using for DAS ? Smaller queues mean smaller ride footprint and less money to build the attraction. With 3 parks, having a 5 hour come back time won't be as severe as it is in Volcano Bay right now. What are your thoughts ?

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So with the launch of Volcano Bay, Universal has dived head first into the land of no queues. I understand it has not been a very smooth launch but I expect it to eventually work itself out. Should Disney look into this for future attractions? Basically give everyone access to the same system they have been using for DAS ? Smaller queues mean smaller ride footprint and less money to build the attraction. With 3 parks, having a 5 hour come back time won't be as severe as it is in Volcano Bay right now. What are your thoughts ?

I think one of the big challenges with going to a 100% virtual queue is, where to all the people go who are now not waiting in line? At any given time a large percentage of people at WDW are in line, if you put these people back into the park it's going to congest a lot of other things. The smaller ride footprint you mention would help with new rides but it's unlikely they would go back and remove queues from existing ride.

djdan888

Original Poster
I think one of the big challenges with going to a 100% virtual queue is, where to all the people go who are now not waiting in line? At any given time a large percentage of people at WDW are in line, if you put these people back into the park it's going to congest a lot of other things. The smaller ride footprint you mention would help with new rides but it's unlikely they would go back and remove queues from existing ride.
I am talking about all future attractions or maybe even just huge E tickets.

Jahona

It's an interesting idea and it can work at a water park were there are enough things to do besides rides and slides to fill the void while you wait. It's like @danlb_2000 mentioned. Imagine how packed MK currently is and take into account those that aren't currently in line are either eating, shopping, or walking to a destination. Now take the lines out of the equation and it would grow to be extremely crowded. Now it might be possible to design a park that is entirely queue-less from the ground up but I don't think adding in new attractions with out queues would work in current parks.

djdan888

Original Poster
Universal is doing it with all their newer rides like Fallon and the new Fast and Furious ride. I just didn't see why it couldn't work at Disney too.

roj2323

Bingo

The issue is the people. Long cues at the theme parks keep people occupied and some would argue entertained. Long cues in a water park on the other had is an issue because there's usually stairs and little shade. For water parks a Virtual Queue makes perfect sense as there's plenty of fun to be had while waiting nearby. To a certain extent this is how the digital version of Fast pass is supposed to work as well but in reality people just stand around waiting for the clock because there isn't much in a theme park that can be done in the 10 minutes you're waiting around for your fastpass time.

JIMINYCR

Theres only so much shopping or snacking one can do to occupy the time in any park. I would rather Disney make the queues more interesting by making them more guest interactive. The queues that have great details and keep your attention are good but they only keep you occupied for a short time. And the queues that have kiddie things arent made for teens or adults. If Disney had interactive game queues specific to the rides that led up to and continued onto the ride, that would make the time in lines feel like youve lost less time waiting.

djdan888

Original Poster
Theres only so much shopping or snacking one can do to occupy the time in any park. I would rather Disney make the queues more interesting by making them more guest interactive. The queues that have great details and keep your attention are good but they only keep you occupied for a short time. And the queues that have kiddie things arent made for teens or adults. If Disney had interactive game queues specific to the rides that led up to and continued onto the ride, that would make the time in lines feel like youve lost less time waiting.
Space Mountain does that somewhat.

Goofyernmost

I thought FP+ was a virtual queue system...?
It is, they just want to be notified at home when there time is so they can fly on down, hop on ME and go to the ride. Enough is never enough. Even with a virtual queue you still have to wait and do something while you are waiting. Virtual or not, one will never get that time back.

Kamikaze

What works in a relatively small waterpark might not be as feasible in a space as large as epcot.

Or doesn't work. (Yet?)

Lets see who had the better weekend, shall we? DAK had 3+ hour waits all weekend for Pandora. Rave reviews for the land even if the rides were more or less average.

DCA had a single ride open to glowing reviews - reviews of a ride that was universally trashed and hated before it launched. And it had SEVEN HOUR WAITS.

Universal opened a water park (just barely on time) to complaints, huge lines (for refunds) and basically a failure of the system because they didn't have time or data to actually figure out what wait times or return times would be.

But yes, lets take Uni's 'system'.

FP+ is not a great system, for sure. Planning your rides a month+ in advance isn't fun. But its clearly superior to Tapu Tapu.

lazyboy97o

Smaller queues mean smaller ride footprint and less money to build the attraction. With 3 parks, having a 5 hour come back time won't be as severe as it is in Volcano Bay right now. What are your thoughts ?
You're not really saving money. In order to maintain capacity, you need to build out more occupiable space. The cost per square foot is going to be different based on what you are building (queue, walkway, store, restaurant) and the square footage per person is also going to be different. In a lot cases queue space is going to be have a lower cost per square foot and a higher persons per square foot, the result being a lower cost per person.

I thought FP+ was a virtual queue system...?
FastPass is a bit more of a reservation system than a virtual queue as implemented by Accesso.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom