Should a Jungle Cruise Skipper have Good Verbal Communication Skills??

eizenga13

Can you give us an example of these?

Like what?

well it has been about 7 years but let me think on it and I will toss you a few.

One that sticks out is from the

80's movie: It was a corporate buy out night and there was veno flowing if you know what I mean. There were these button lights that people had on them, and one guy dropped his into the water near the Amazon (so RIGHT when the ride started) I had a boat full of beer and button lights... EVERYONE through theirs into the river and we did the entire cruise as if it was "The Karate Kid Part III" (ie the lantern lights from Mr. Miagi's family funeral?) from there on out ALL section of the cruise were 'wax on wax off' and we did the "baby drum rattle with the plastic beer bottles" (kinda had to be there but it was something special...) so special my entire crew stayed aboard and we did an ADULT themed cruise... Backside "IN" the water, Hippo intercourse, Natives are sexless... things like that. nothing TOO racey but not for the afternoon pre-parade crowd if you know what I mean... passionate and ADULT sounds from the ENTIRE boat in the tunnel, slithering snakes, exc... OH and the hippo that "SQUIRTS" on you before the end.... lets just say it was not water!! great times!!!!!

Frank Stallone

Certainly not the same as a jungle cruise skipper, but I started with Disney working at the Backlot Tour. What I like about the Disney-MGM Studios, is that if you are going to work in attractions, you have a second interview where you are asked what type of attraction you would like to work. If you want an attraction that has a minimal spiel, you'll work at Star Tours/One Man's Dream, etc. Or if you want a heavy spiel, you can request Backlot Tour or Great Movie Ride, so you will be in an area that you are comfortable with.

When I started working at the Magic Kingdom, I was amazed to see so many jungle cruise skippers that weren't strong public speakers (and didn't want to be skippers to begin with), and so many charismatic cast members that would have made great skippers, but were stuck at Tomorrowland Speedway, Snow White's Scary Adventures, etc.

Years ago, you would have to audition to work at a high spiel attraction. I wish it were still the same.

And I definitely agree with the former jungle cruise skipper that said that you have to keep your spiel constantly changing, in order to keep it interesting. Some of my favorite backlot tour spiels:

*Start as many sentences with "according to scripture..." as possible

*Say "meow" as many times in the spiel as possible (for Super Troopers fans)

*Movie reference tours (driver would give spieler a movie, such as princess bride), and spieler would have to somehow incorporate lines from that movie into the tour.

*John Stamos Tour (mention the name John Stamos as many times as possible during the tour).

*Accent change tour (change my accent every couple minutes throughout the tour, and see if guests notice)

JCBarbie

I think Skippers should have at least a mini audition. Just to see if they *can* speak well, and clearly. Asking us all the have comedic timing? That would the job equity but sometimes accents are adorable!

One girl from Japan was so animated that even though you couldn't understand her half the time she was SO darn cute you couldn't help but have fun.

-Jungle Cruise Barbie

iheartdisney91

i'd say no but you have to be able to understand at least a couple words cuz it makes the ride feel more like .... idk um...realish like your in africa or where ever your supposed to be.

PencilTest

Kumyunikayshun skills...GOOD! (go on, sound it out.)
We were there about a week ago, and our skipper had everything going for her...except for the fact that she sounded like she was SHOUTING INTO THE MIC. So even though the jokes were good and her articulation seemed fine, you could barely stand to listen because of the loud distortion.

DisneyChik17

Kumyunikayshun skills...GOOD! (go on, sound it out.)
We were there about a week ago, and our skipper had everything going for her...except for the fact that she sounded like she was SHOUTING INTO THE MIC. So even though the jokes were good and her articulation seemed fine, you could barely stand to listen because of the loud distortion.

One thing many don't realize is that mics amplify. That is what they are designed for. I hate the sound of people shouting into mics. It is horrible.

smk

As a former alumni of the Jungle Cruise (2001 REPRESENT!!), I have done SOOO many different styles... AND YES Hung over is a style, BUT you must be good to make it work... ONE LONGGGG SLOW SPIEL... Sometimes it works sometime it doesn't... Others I have done...

- 80's Theme Shows
- 80's films (only once and it was on a night of extended hours where a corporation bought out the Magic Kingdom and catered in BEER!!)
- Accents of all Kinds....
- ADULT VERSION (mostly ONLY on nights with extended hours.
- doing the jungle cruise with the Haunted Mansion Spiel
- doing the jungle Cruise with Pirates... Spiel
- No punchline spiel ... Butterflies have wingspans from 12 inches.... (don't say the last part about "to a whopping 1 foot")

There are always great jokes... BEFORE 9/11 I had some REALLY great ones about the airplane that were used if you were there BEFORE the tragedy .

SO anyways if you have more questions JUST LET ME KNOW :)
Thanks for coming and thanks for laughing if you didn't laugh thanks for leaving.
When we were on vacation in 2001 (not once but threee times!) in WDW the Jungle Cruise was at it's funniest of all times, IMHO. Wonder if you were the piloting our boat on any of those times? I have been back more times than I can count and had enjoyable experiences, but I swear, never had as much fun as in 2001. Funny! :lol:

EpcotServo

It dosen't matter as much anymore. They really don't let our skippers improv as much as they do in Disneyland. They have some REALLY funny skippers over there. I'll never forget what one said on the way out...
"But before you go, I'd like to thank the California Correctional System. Because Jungle Cruise isn't just a job...It's a second chance."
:lol:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It dosen't matter as much anymore. They really don't let our skippers improv as much as they do in Disneyland. They have some REALLY funny skippers over there. I'll never forget what one said on the way out...
"But before you go, I'd like to thank the California Correctional System. Because Jungle Cruise isn't just a job...It's a second chance."

If they want to keep such a tight reign on the script of JC, why don't they just do like they did at Living With The Land boat ride and put it on tape and autopilot? :rolleyes:

Peaches Magee

Certainly not the same as a jungle cruise skipper, but I started with Disney working at the Backlot Tour. What I like about the Disney-MGM Studios, is that if you are going to work in attractions, you have a second interview where you are asked what type of attraction you would like to work. If you want an attraction that has a minimal spiel, you'll work at Star Tours/One Man's Dream, etc. Or if you want a heavy spiel, you can request Backlot Tour or Great Movie Ride, so you will be in an area that you are comfortable with.

When I started working at the Magic Kingdom, I was amazed to see so many jungle cruise skippers that weren't strong public speakers (and didn't want to be skippers to begin with), and so many charismatic cast members that would have made great skippers, but were stuck at Tomorrowland Speedway, Snow White's Scary Adventures, etc.

Years ago, you would have to audition to work at a high spiel attraction. I wish it were still the same.

And I definitely agree with the former jungle cruise skipper that said that you have to keep your spiel constantly changing, in order to keep it interesting. Some of my favorite backlot tour spiels:

*Start as many sentences with "according to scripture..." as possible

*Say "meow" as many times in the spiel as possible (for Super Troopers fans)

*Movie reference tours (driver would give spieler a movie, such as princess bride), and spieler would have to somehow incorporate lines from that movie into the tour.

*John Stamos Tour (mention the name John Stamos as many times as possible during the tour).

*Accent change tour (change my accent every couple minutes throughout the tour, and see if guests notice)

:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:
bolded....would be two of my favs to ever experience on a Jungle Cruise, Super Troopers devotee and movie line lover here.

Dang... I never got any cool hosts on a Jungle Cruise ride...
I always get the same lame monotone jokes and stuff,

Host: "Everybody say Hy - ena...."
Tourists say with a smile: "HI ENA!"

meh...

EpcotServo

If they want to keep such a tight reign on the script of JC, why don't they just do like they did at Living With The Land boat ride and put it on tape and autopilot? :rolleyes:
I wouldn't be surprised!

"Welcome to Jungle Cruise...Please keep your hands inside the boat at all times."
:lookaroun

eizenga13

When we were on vacation in 2001 (not once but threee times!) in WDW the Jungle Cruise was at it's funniest of all times, IMHO. Wonder if you were the piloting our boat on any of those times? I have been back more times than I can count and had enjoyable experiences, but I swear, never had as much fun as in 2001. Funny! :lol:

Well thank you that means a lot as that was a trying year for all of America and we managed to "keep the laughter"

I was there from August until January, so it is ALL together possible that I was your Skipper... Skipper Matthew

"And Remember..... That way you don't forget."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom