Should a 3 year old see The Incredibles?

DisneyPhD

Original Poster
Hi there, I wanted to ask those who had seen it if we should take little PhD to see The Incredibles. We did not take her to see A Shark Tale or Shrek. (I saw them and I am glad she didn't, I don't think they would be approprate for her.) She however is asking to see The Incredibles and thinks the part where the father couldn't get his pants to fit is haliaious. She laughs and laughs and qoutes the "Maybe just a salad" part, but doen't understand it really (that he is overweight.) So far from the previews it seems ok for her, but you can never tell.

She is 3 1/2 and can sit still and behave herself in the movie theatre no problem. She saw Piglets Big Movie and Brother Bear last year and was really good. She saw Finding Nemo on DVD and it is a little intense for her in places, but she was ok. She doesn't ask to see it again and again now though. So like compared to say Toy Story or Finding Nemo is to more or less intense and is there inapropreate stuff for a 3 year old?

Thanks so much,
Mrs. PhD

Not For Sale

I doubt it would be appropriate for her. The teaser doesn't do the movie justice. It's an animated action movie. The story may be a tad over her head. I suggest hiring a sitter.

PhotoDave219

Nope. Too long, too intense and honestly, a bit scary.

Less intense than Pirates but in teh ballpark.

Mouseplanet has a good write up on it about whether young kids shoudl see it....

tigsmom

Just saw the movie today & there were a lot of young kids in the theatre.
Its a great movie, but maybe you might want to see it first and then decide.

MouseMadness

Well, maybe you should go for yourself. One parents' idea of appropriate is not anothers, but Leah did fine. (She'll be 3 in Feb.) She didn't sit at attention the entire time, obviously, but she'd watch and laugh and ask, then she'd search for popcorn and candy to take. My other kids all did great with it, though, and for those who wanted an intact family in a Disney film... you finally got it! :sohappy: :lol: :wave:

GaryT977

I saw it last night with a couple of friends from work who both have four year olds, and they both said they thought it was too intense for them. What's really jarring is the short that precedes it, Bounding, is extremely kid friendly.

You might want to see it yourself before you decide. Trust me, you won't mind seeing it again if you decide to take your kid.

WDWFREAK53

First off...Christy, did Leah try looking under the seat for candy like she does in the mini-van? Because that would just be :hurl:

Next...to answer the question at hand. This is an action movie. It's not a cute movie...it's not a Nemo... I would say, it's an action movie like Treasure Planet is...but with more of a family feel to it. Having said that...and what you've said about your child (seeing Nemo and Brother Bear), if the lil cherub could handle the bear scenes in Brother Bear, and the dark scenes in Nemo (with the "light-up" fish) she may be able to handle The Incredibles.

(Take this with a grain of salt though, I have no children...and the little one that I took is 5)

It's a lot darker than most Disney movies though. I suggest, like others have, that you take in a viewing of it first and decide...because each child is different and nobody knows your child better than you :wave:

MouseMadness

I am starting to feel like an unfit parent! :cry: :lol: I don't know, I guess movies affect my kids less than others? We've never had a problem yet. I guess go see it first yourself and see. :) :wave:

tigsmom

MouseMadness said:
I am starting to feel like an unfit parent! :cry: :lol: I don't know, I guess movies affect my kids less than others? We've never had a problem yet. I guess go see it first yourself and see. :) :wave:

Don't feel badly, as I said before the theater was filled with little kids yesterday;
some 3 and under. We heard no screams just laughter and applause when the Incredibles baby discovers its powers. :lookaroun

Unfit parent...my youngest (just 10 ) is addicted to the CSI series...and yes I let her watch them.

DisneyPhD

Original Poster
We all have our unfit parents moments. :lol:

Thanks for all the input. Still not sure if we are taking her or not. We have to get a sitter for the baby anyway, but she really wants to see it and it is so rare that we ever see a movie (let alone the same one twice! :eek: ) So if we go twice I have to get a sitter for the baby twice. (and she is still giving me a hard time about taking a bottle). Of course it will be out on DVD someday.

What I am most concerned about is it doing or saying things I don't want her repeating later. (like in Sherk 2 or Shark Tale) But Disney and Pixar tends to be more appropreate. If it is over her head, but no harm done I don't mind. (Like I said she laughs like crazy at the previews and she doesn't really understand them.) I don't mind her repeating "Maybe just a salad." But if the lanuage is questionable she will pick up on it.

She can sit through "Its Tough to be a Bug" with no problems (but her friend the same age had to leave, it scared the pants off him.) She also does well if we prepare her for things 1st.

Of course just becuse the theatre is full of kids doesn't mean they should see it. I have been in Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and Pirates full of YOUNG kids (under 5) and I would not be comfortable with my kid seeing any of them (even if they didn't get scared at all.) For that mater I have been in Rated R movies full of kids, but that just gets me mad. :fork:

Oh we did rent the live action Peter Pan and she liked it until Hook showed up, then she had us turn it off and put in the Disney DVD instead.

MouseMadness

Ahhh, okay, in that case, I don't recall anything being said that bothered me. Also, I went straight to the source today and asked Leah what she thought about the movie (again). She said "Good." (again) And I said "But was it scary? Were you scared?" She said "No! It was funny... and good." :lol:

WDWFREAK53

MouseMadness said:
Ahhh, okay, in that case, I don't recall anything being said that bothered me. Also, I went straight to the source today and asked Leah what she thought about the movie (again). She said "Good." (again) And I said "But was it scary? Were you scared?" She said "No! It was funny... and good." :lol:

:lol: well, that's..."good"

Phd...I'd say if it's the language you're worried about...don't...there isn't anything bad in it. The only thing that the child may not like is the "action" (Which isn't scary...just regular action).

goofyguy

I don't recall any inappropriate language ... just action sequences like the others have said. I took my 3yr old, however I come from parents that took me to see "The Godfather" when I was 6, so my level of appropriate is probably somewhat different than yours. Honestly though, my daughter was bored most of the time. Not me though, I thought it was great (as did my wife and oldest daughter).

cru5h

PhotoDave219 said:
Nope. Too long
Amen! Even I was getting tired of sitting there. But it was interesting enough to keep me. I don't think it'd have the same effect on a 3 yr old though.

Bagheera

Another thing to bear in mind is that the scene in the teaser trailer with Mr. Incredible trying to put his belt on is not in the actual movie.

longfamily

my 6yr old loved the movie but then again he is not 3. There are elements of violence (fight scenes) where toon children are involved, there are some "thrill" moments that are a tiny bit intense for kids, specifically there is a scene with a dead super hero (Mr. I hides behind the skeleton). Also, the bad guys in the movie are insane and depicted as such with facial features, gestures. These are the only elements that might be reason to make it to the movies without your child. My kid laughed all the way through the film, as did we. But I could see a 3yr old getting a little scared.

cru5h

MouseMadness said:
OMG don't say that LOL. I took my 11 year-old step daughter to see The Grudge. She fell asleep :/ There were some ditsy girls leaving when we were coming in to the theatre who made a big stink about children seein the movie. I think we all know our kids' thresholds for these things, and it's not the worst thing in the world to walk out of the theatre if it becomes too much. You can't be unfit - 'cause if you are, then I am hehe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom