Trip Report Shortest Retirement in History?

Justin Bieber lasted 2 weeks.

Tom Brady lasted 40 days.

I, Tuvalu, outlasted them both. Not by much, mind you. Yet if not for the encouragement of some forum friends - along with some unusual circumstances - you wouldn’t be reading this.

Unusual circumstances, you say?

Around Thanksgiving my beloved Woody learned his presence was required at a work conference. In Orlando. At Universal.
Just down the road from Walt Disney World.

Woody said I could accompany him if he drove (rather than flew) to Florida. And that we could leave a couple days early and have some Disney time together.

Well you don’t have to ask me twice!

I’d be on my own during the conference. Since the majority of Universal’s attractions don’t appeal to me, it didn’t make sense for me to buy Uni tickets when I could visit WDW for free with my AP. Being solo, I thought it might be fun to do a live trip report so y’all could be my virtual companions!

Turns out I won’t be alone while Woody is occupied after all. Some friends that you have seen in my previous TRs (and one you haven’t) have offered to play with me. I can’t wait!

IMG_0404.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Just in case you ever decide to do that again, the first OKW bus stop (assuming its still Peninsular Road) is only a short walk to the Hospitality House & Olivia's.
1. We won’t. 🤣

2. We learned that after we were seated. There was a solo man who got off at the first stop. He was at an adjacent table enjoying his food. :jawdrop:

I also forgot to mention that our bus was caught behind a broken bus at stop #2 which took a bit for us to get around, and we had to wait for two buses to unload at the Hospitality House before we could get off. The “longest stretch” of our journey occurred once inside the OKW gate!

lindawdw

1. We won’t. 🤣

2. We learned that after we were seated. There was a solo man who got off at the first stop. He was at an adjacent table enjoying his food. :jawdrop:

I also forgot to mention that our bus was caught behind a broken bus at stop #2 which took a bit for us to get around, and we had to wait for two buses to unload at the Hospitality House before we could get off. The “longest stretch” of our journey occurred once inside the OKW gate!
My DH won't take Disney transportation just for this reason alone! I don't mind it when traveling to WDW with friends since we don't rent a car, but the wait times can be just so frustrating. I hope your meal at Olivia's was worth it!!! It used to be a must do restaurant on every trip until they changed their menu about 3 years ago.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I vaguely remember you mentioning this in a previous TR. Is it allergies or just not fans?
Both.

My DH won't take Disney transportation just for this reason alone!
You’d think we’d have learned our lesson with the bad transportation to Olivia’s….but mistakes were made again another night….more to come.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday, con’t

Woody had only a couple of dining requests for this vacation and Olivia’s was one of them. He likes the laid-back vibe of the location and loves the food. Prior to this evening he had only driven there. I’m happy to report that our stressful arrival did not detract from his enjoyment of our meal.

We celebrated our 40th anniversary at Olivia’s in June 2023. An unexpected event soured our anniversary this year. Midway through the day we noticed the upstairs was getting warmer despite the constant running of the a/c. Though the thermostat was set at 77 degrees, this was the actual temperature —

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Yeah, something wasn’t right. Woody turned off the unit and the temperature continued to rise. This was the max temperature before the sun began to set.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

But summer temperatures at night don’t drop quickly in Georgia. Thanks to a ceiling fan we were able to attempt sleep around midnight with the room at 80 degrees. Our anniversary “surprise” caused us to decide to “float our anniversary,” à la Frankie and Mike Heck in The Middle.

We let it “float” (or forgot, not sure which) for two months. Just before departing for WDW, Woody said, “I think we should make one of our dinners our anniversary dinner.”

When we were led to the same table where we celebrated last year, it was serendipitous.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Sara, our server, was fantastic. She brought our drinks and bread out quickly once she heard our transportation tale.

IMG_4047.jpeg

But the food wasn’t rushed out, which we appreciated. Woody always listens to the specials and is tempted to order something different but he cannot pass up the comfort of the southern fried chicken meal.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Neither can I. 😉

Sara asked if we wanted dessert, but our go-to chocolate lava cake was no longer on the menu. We passed, knowing there would be desserts awaiting in the club lounge.

93boomer

Premium Member
Monday, con’t

Woody had only a couple of dining requests for this vacation and Olivia’s was one of them. He likes the laid-back vibe of the location and loves the food. Prior to this evening he had only driven there. I’m happy to report that our stressful arrival did not detract from his enjoyment of our meal.

We celebrated our 40th anniversary at Olivia’s in June 2023. An unexpected event soured our anniversary this year. Midway through the day we noticed the upstairs was getting warmer despite the constant running of the a/c. Though the thermostat was set at 77 degrees, this was the actual temperature —

View attachment 813361

Yeah, something wasn’t right. Woody turned off the unit and the temperature continued to rise. This was the max temperature before the sun began to set.

View attachment 813360

But summer temperatures at night don’t drop quickly in Georgia. Thanks to a ceiling fan we were able to attempt sleep around midnight with the room at 80 degrees. Our anniversary “surprise” caused us to decide to “float our anniversary,” à la Frankie and Mike Heck in The Middle.

We let it “float” (or forgot, not sure which) for two months. Just before departing for WDW, Woody said, “I think we should make one of our dinners our anniversary dinner.”

When we were led to the same table where we celebrated last year, it was serendipitous.

View attachment 813365

View attachment 813364

Sara, our server, was fantastic. She brought our drinks and bread out quickly once she heard our transportation tale.

View attachment 813363

But the food wasn’t rushed out, which we appreciated. Woody always listens to the specials and is tempted to order something different but he cannot pass up the comfort of the southern fried chicken meal.

View attachment 813362
Neither can I. 😉

Sara asked if we wanted dessert, but our go-to chocolate lava cake was no longer on the menu. We passed, knowing there would be desserts awaiting in the club lounge.
That chicken looks yummy!! May have to add that to my list!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday, con’t

We popped into the gift store after dinner. I thought these Halloween tees were cute, despite the holiday being over two months away!

FullSizeRender.jpeg

In hindsight briefly stopping here was a mistake. No, we didn’t spend any money but as we approached the bus stop the MK bus was just pulling away. So much for my plan of bus to MK, followed by romantic evening boat ride back to WL.

However an Epcot bus was arriving so we switched gears and boarded, to make the transfer there. The WL bus was at the gate and we thought we had it made - until the bus sat there for another fifteen minutes before departing. Even worse - the bus was shared with FTW, and those guests got dropped off first!

I had whine texted with Em during our getting to Olivia’s debacle. This was our final exchange of the night -

IMG_4448.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday, con’t

We were still pretty full from dinner so we only sampled the mini Oreo cupcakes.

IMG_4055.jpeg

Further back in the lounge area Woody noticed this chocolate Carolwood Pacific model train which was very impressive!

IMG_4056.jpeg

There’s a non-chocolate model of Walt’s train in the Carolwood Pacific Room in the Boulder Ridge Villas building next door.

1725615960150.jpeg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Further back in the lounge area Woody noticed this chocolate Carolwood Pacific model train which was very impressive!

IMG_4056.jpeg

There’s a non-chocolate model of Walt’s train in the Carolwood Pacific Room in the Boulder Ridge Villas building next door.

1725615960150.jpeg
I've always liked trains -- especially chocolate ones! ;) My sweet tooth aside, the (non-chocolate) model over in the Carolwood Pacific Room makes for a unique and attractive display, on that long wooden side table, with the lamps.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday, con’t

Yes, @Tinkwings, there is still an observation deck off the club lounge to view fireworks with the soundtrack. And while it is better than nothing, the trees obscure the castle and the shells that surround it. Higher fireworks are clearly seen.

In the past we have watched HEA from a castle-view room because it provides a much better scope of the entire show. Since that was not an option this trip, we ended our day on the observation deck.

IMG_4058.jpeg

IMG_4057.jpeg

Songbird76

Both.

You’d think we’d have learned our lesson with the bad transportation to Olivia’s….but mistakes were made again another night….more to come.
I HATE driving, so I love not having to drive at Disney...it's one of the main things that attracts me to Disney. I can get anywhere on property without driving an inch, which is a HUGE plus in my book. But we had issues back in 2019 when we took my niece out for dinner so her dads could have a date night for their anniversary, and one of their birthdays. It took us over two hours to get from CBR to GF for the Happily Ever After dining with Cinderella and her step family. We were only about 10 minutes late for our reservation, but then we had to wait another 30 minutes for a table. I always allow extra time, but I thought we'd be there way early, not 10 minutes late!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tuesday, August 20

I began the day in my usual way, waiting for the sunrise.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Woody knew he needed to be up and at ‘em early, since I’d told him I wanted to be at the Magic Kingdom for regular park opening at 8 am. I did not insist on arriving by 7:30 for early entry. I wasn’t exactly being altruistic, since I wanted to have breakfast in the lounge first, and breakfast didn’t start until 7.

IMG_4063.jpeg

The reason for the park’s earlier than normal opening was due to the earlier closure for tonight’s MNSSHP. I’d read that attendance on party days was lower than typical, and we hoped to take advantage of shorter lines.

Today would also be our first experience using Lightning Lane Multi Pass. It was $25 plus tax for each of us. I purchased LLMP three days before our arrival and these were our three pre-booked selections.

1725823089599.png

Was I able to modify the times of the pre-books after we entered the park? Keep reading.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom