Trip Report Shortest Retirement in History?

Justin Bieber lasted 2 weeks.

Tom Brady lasted 40 days.

I, Tuvalu, outlasted them both. Not by much, mind you. Yet if not for the encouragement of some forum friends - along with some unusual circumstances - you wouldn’t be reading this.

Unusual circumstances, you say?

Around Thanksgiving my beloved Woody learned his presence was required at a work conference. In Orlando. At Universal.
Just down the road from Walt Disney World.

Woody said I could accompany him if he drove (rather than flew) to Florida. And that we could leave a couple days early and have some Disney time together.

Well you don’t have to ask me twice!

I’d be on my own during the conference. Since the majority of Universal’s attractions don’t appeal to me, it didn’t make sense for me to buy Uni tickets when I could visit WDW for free with my AP. Being solo, I thought it might be fun to do a live trip report so y’all could be my virtual companions!

Turns out I won’t be alone while Woody is occupied after all. Some friends that you have seen in my previous TRs (and one you haven’t) have offered to play with me. I can’t wait!

IMG_0404.jpeg

lindawdw

Once back in our room, a dear friend of mine called to tell me about the arrival of her ninth(!) grandchild. The unpacking was delayed as we chick chatted. Woody occupied himself with watching NASCAR (on low volume, naturally. 😉)

By the time we finally unpacked it was Happy Hour at the club lounge. Some of tonight’s appetizers ~

View attachment 812276

View attachment 812275

View attachment 812274

We filled our plates and got a glass of wine. Moscato for me, Pinot Noir for Woody.

View attachment 812273
Can’t beat the atmosphere here!

The mac and cheese (pictured on plates) was excellent. The black bean and corn succotash was very similar to the yummy corn salsa Em makes - we went back for seconds! Also had seconds of chicken salad and roasted chicken and veggies.

Bottom line - this became our dinner. :hungry:
I am so excited to read your TR (as always)!!! The food offerings at Club WL this night look absolutely delicious.
I Love It Kiss GIF by Rosanna Pansino
I would have gone up for seconds also!!! The view while enjoying the food and wine is perfect and I feel the mood of the moment in your words and photos! I also love that you enjoyed the relaxing boat rides to MK and FW instead of rushing to the park! I can't wait for more!

93boomer

Premium Member
Sunday, con’t

When I arrive at WDW, I am in go mode. Gotta get to a park. There’s so much to see and do! Can’t let the AP go
to waste (nor the ridiculous park reservation I had to make. :mad:)

I’ve often thought about people who don’t have tickets for arrival day. How much calmer and relaxed the start of their vacation must be, without the temptation of a theme park beckoning them.

Travel day wears Woody out. He would prefer hanging out at the resort and save the parks for the following day. Yet every trip he has yielded to my desire to go.

Tonight I decided to compromise.

“Let’s take a boat ride,” I suggested. “Whichever boat is at the dock when we get there - MK or Ft. Wilderness - is the one we’ll board.”

Like me, Woody enjoys an evening cruise around Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. He readily agreed.

Guess which launch was at the dock.

View attachment 812355

The pull of the park was real. But I was determined to stay strong.

“Aren’t we getting off?” Woody asked when others began to disembark.

“No,” I replied. “This is just a taste of the Magic Kingdom.”

View attachment 812356

Two of the deckhands noticed us and one asked, “Are you staying on?”

I nodded.

The other deadpanned, “That’ll be five dollars for the round trip.”

Both of them laughed.

There were only six people waiting to board the launch so I did not feel guilty for remaining in our seat. As we cruised back to WL, we decided to switch launches and ride the Ft. Wilderness > Contemporary > WL circuit.

But the boat to the Fort was doing “last call” as we docked and we did not feel like standing on a toasty dock for the next 20 minutes. “We’ll do it another time this week,” I told Woody. (Only we never did. :cry:)

Instead we strolled the resort grounds. I gazed longingly into the Boulder Ridge pool area and Woody said, “We could go for a night swim.”

Yeah that wasn’t happening. I like the idea of a night swim but not the reality.

We continued walking.

The lawn was set up for movie night. What film was featured remains a mystery. I searched all over for a sign and….bupkis.

View attachment 812357

The falls are stunning at any time of day.

View attachment 812358

It was almost 8 pm and @Tinkwings you know what that means…..

Dessert Time!!!
Nice way to start your trip!
We’ve started relaxing that first evening too. I have been making reservations at the resort or DS and take the boat ride. Then, we’re ready for the park next say.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday, con’t

@Tinkwings here are the dessert pics you requested. :happy:

IMG_4018.jpeg

IMG_4019.jpeg

IMG_4020.jpeg

IMG_4021.jpeg

The desserts rotated each night but the ice cream station remained the same. The vanilla ice cream could be used as à la mode for the warm cobbler (mixed berry, peach strawberry, apple cranberry depending on night). Not pictured are cookies, which alternated between chocolate chip and sugar with sprinkles.

Mini cupcakes and tarts were always available. The chocolate caramel cupcakes were our fave flavor; the s’mores tart was heavy on the chocolate and had no graham.

After satisfying our sweet tooth (teeth?), Woody and I returned to our room. We could not see fireworks (but could clearly hear Happily Ever After’s music, which I adore) but we were able to watch the Electrical Water Pageant, a fun surprise.

I think Woody was pleased with our non-hurried arrival day.

So was I.

IMG_4024.jpeg

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Sunday, con’t

@Tinkwings here are the dessert pics you requested. :happy:

View attachment 812561

View attachment 812557

View attachment 812558

View attachment 812559

The desserts rotated each night but the ice cream station remained the same. The vanilla ice cream could be used as à la mode for the warm cobbler (mixed berry, peach strawberry, apple cranberry depending on night). Not pictured are cookies, which alternated between chocolate chip and sugar with sprinkles.

Mini cupcakes and tarts were always available. The chocolate caramel cupcakes were our fave flavor; the s’mores tart was heavy on the chocolate and had no graham.

After satisfying our sweet tooth (teeth?), Woody and I returned to our room. We could not see fireworks (but could clearly hear Happily Ever After’s music, which I adore) but we were able to watch the Electrical Water Pageant, a fun surprise.

I think Woody was pleased with our non-hurried arrival day.

So was I.

View attachment 812560
Wahooo! Thanks, love the cobbler with ice cream especially that is a must. But the variety is fun.
Don't they still have the porch by there on club level to see and hear the music for the fireworks?:cool: They did in 2019.:D

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
Additionally, our usual CFA travel stop was bulldozed and is being rebuilt. Thus not an option (yet) when traveling Mon-Sat. either.
Is it becoming the two story one with a drive thru underneath? I saw where one in GA is going to be that.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

dizfan917

We typically hop on a 5:30a flight from Milwaukee to get to MCO by 9:00a-ish so we get to the resort way before noon and then have NINE to ELEVEN HOURS of theme park FUN ahead of us! We kinda don't know the meaning of leisurely on arrival day... but we're getting older and trying to chill a bit these days.

I mean I can sit on the couch at home... :D

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We typically hop on a 5:30a flight from Milwaukee to get to MCO by 9:00a-ish so we get to the resort way before noon and then have NINE to ELEVEN HOURS of theme park FUN ahead of us! We kinda don't know the meaning of leisurely on arrival day... but we're getting older and trying to chill a bit these days.

I mean I can sit on the couch at home... :D
Happy Rebecca Wisocky GIF by CBS
Lets Go Nba GIF by Storyful

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday, August 19

As an early riser I love having quiet time watching the sun rise.

There’s no better place to be than on a balcony facing Bay Lake as the day dawns, peaceful and tranquil.

IMG_4025.jpeg

But when the streaming rays of sunshine began to blind me, I headed inside to explore the morning quiet of the Lodge. Whispering Canyon was not yet open, so no raucousness from the staff.

IMG_4036.jpeg

One of the many sitting areas in this beautiful resort - a bonus of being both inside and out!

IMG_4037.jpeg

Following my stroll I returned to the room to find Woody dressed and ready for breakfast. The food service area was a little chaotic, so I was unable to take pictures of the offerings. Standards included a hot egg dish, pancakes/french toast (no Mickey waffles), bacon/sausage, oatmeal, yogurt, cereals, fresh fruit and pastries.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday, con’t

While I had an agenda for each of our vacation days, Woody and I agreed to maintain a “go with the flow” attitude. (During the week we’d joke, we’re flowing! when circumstances were not in our favor.) Today did not align with any of our original plans. We had a park reservation for DHS, which I’d canceled last week when I could not get favorable LLMP return times. We also switched up a dining ADR, which I will get to later.

Rain was not forecasted until the afternoon so we opted to take advantage of the pool. I was in a hurry to claim a favorite loungers spot, so I left Woody in the dust and was one of three people at the pool at 8:30 am. :hilarious:

IMG_4038.jpeg

I got my spot.
happy the big bang theory GIF

I was so early I even beat the pool attendant, who placed towels on the loungers after 9 am.

IMG_4042.jpeg

It was the first time (and last time!) I’ve ever seen rolled towels put on WL chairs. It’s protocol at the GF and I *think* I’ve experienced it at the Poly, but this was new at Boulder Ridge.

When Woody arrived he even commented about the towels. And guys - please don’t take offense - this is a detail most men wouldn’t notice, so I was shocked when Woody did.

The humidity was surprisingly low and the pool water was cool, so we waited a bit before venturing in. It gave us the opportunity to witness what I’ll call “Em’s Favorite Event” at Boulder Ridge Pool. She’d casually mentioned it to me while we were there earlier this summer - something that she’s observed over our many visits that she’s never witnessed at any other WDW resort pool.

She did a play-by-play that had me in stitches. And now that I’m aware if it, I notice it all the time.

The pool gate is locked and is accessible only by MagicBand or key card. Guests must tap the reader to pull open the gate. We’ve seen visitors try to open the gate and when they cannot, they simply turn around and continue to wander the grounds.

“Em’s Favorite Event” is when fully-clothed (not in bathing attire) resort guests tap in, open the pool gate and just stand there with befuddled expressions as the gate slams shut behind them.

They all look like this:
Britney Spears What GIF
No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem
Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF
confused dan levy GIF by CBC

After a minute or two of staring, they’ll turn on their heels and exit out the gate.

I captured one such couple and sent the picture to Em - “Another one!”

IMG_4041.jpeg

We don’t get the confusion - it’s a pool, people!

We’ve never seen any of them return in swimwear. It’s a phenomenon we can’t understand.

@Laurenciaa we’re counting on you to report back if you witness this event!

Laurenciaa

Monday, con’t

While I had an agenda for each of our vacation days, Woody and I agreed to maintain a “go with the flow” attitude. (During the week we’d joke, we’re flowing! when circumstances were not in our favor.) Today did not align with any of our original plans. We had a park reservation for DHS, which I’d canceled last week when I could not get favorable LLMP return times. We also switched up a dining ADR, which I will get to later.

Rain was not forecasted until the afternoon so we opted to take advantage of the pool. I was in a hurry to claim a favorite loungers spot, so I left Woody in the dust and was one of three people at the pool at 8:30 am. :hilarious:

View attachment 812823

I got my spot.
happy the big bang theory GIF

I was so early I even beat the pool attendant, who placed towels on the loungers after 9 am.

View attachment 812824

It was the first time (and last time!) I’ve ever seen rolled towels put on WL chairs. It’s protocol at the GF and I *think* I’ve experienced it at the Poly, but this was new at Boulder Ridge.

When Woody arrived he even commented about the towels. And guys - please don’t take offense - this is a detail most men wouldn’t notice, so I was shocked when Woody did.

The humidity was surprisingly low and the pool water was cool, so we waited a bit before venturing in. It gave us the opportunity to witness what I’ll call “Em’s Favorite Event” at Boulder Ridge Pool. She’d casually mentioned it to me while we were there earlier this summer - something that she’s observed over our many visits that she’s never witnessed at any other WDW resort pool.

She did a play-by-play that had me in stitches. And now that I’m aware if it, I notice it all the time.

The pool gate is locked and is accessible only by MagicBand or key card. Guests must tap the reader to pull open the gate. We’ve seen visitors try to open the gate and when they cannot, they simply turn around and continue to wander the grounds.

“Em’s Favorite Event” is when fully-clothed (not in bathing attire) resort guests tap in, open the pool gate and just stand there with befuddled expressions as the gate slams shut behind them.

They all look like this:
Britney Spears What GIF
No Way  GIF by Harlem
Ryan Reynolds  GIF
confused dan levy GIF by CBC

After a minute or two of staring, they’ll turn on their heels and exit out the gate.

I captured one such couple and sent the picture to Em - “Another one!”

View attachment 812825

We don’t get the confusion - it’s a pool, people!

We’ve never seen any of them return in swimwear. It’s a phenomenon we can’t understand.

@Laurenciaa we’re counting on you to report back if you witness this event!
HAHAHHAHAHHA Some people are of a different breed.. we have planned 2 full pool days and every midday break at the hotel will be besides the pool. Will report with evidence and personal notes :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom