Trip Report Shortest Retirement in History?

Justin Bieber lasted 2 weeks.

Tom Brady lasted 40 days.

I, Tuvalu, outlasted them both. Not by much, mind you. Yet if not for the encouragement of some forum friends - along with some unusual circumstances - you wouldn’t be reading this.

Unusual circumstances, you say?

Around Thanksgiving my beloved Woody learned his presence was required at a work conference. In Orlando. At Universal.
Just down the road from Walt Disney World.

Woody said I could accompany him if he drove (rather than flew) to Florida. And that we could leave a couple days early and have some Disney time together.

Well you don’t have to ask me twice!

I’d be on my own during the conference. Since the majority of Universal’s attractions don’t appeal to me, it didn’t make sense for me to buy Uni tickets when I could visit WDW for free with my AP. Being solo, I thought it might be fun to do a live trip report so y’all could be my virtual companions!

Turns out I won’t be alone while Woody is occupied after all. Some friends that you have seen in my previous TRs (and one you haven’t) have offered to play with me. I can’t wait!

IMG_0404.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
While on the train I’d booked an ADR for dinner on a whim. I did check with Woody first, because I sensed his energy level was waning. He is not a park commando and we’d been at MK a long time, with much of it standing still.

I figured we’d leave immediately after dinner, so if we wanted to use our LL now was the time to do it.

IMG_2174.jpeg

While this would be far from my first choice, it was the most convenient option.

IMG_2175.jpeg

IMG_2177.jpeg

We sat in separate cars as I am the competitive one and like to be in control of the spinner. But it didn’t matter today. My vehicle was jerky, the laser gun was weak and I quit trying halfway through.

Woody bested me by a lot so I thought it was appropriate to post his photo and not mine.

IMG_2178.jpeg

krause

Because the music STOPPED. The dolls, however, continued to move and clack (the clacking being very loud cuz no music) while all of us in boats began to look around.
I feel like now that you’ve been in there with just the clacking you will be able to hear the clacking even when the music is playing 😂
Painted on it was “Door D” or something similar. I had turned to Woody and said, “Ooh a secret club! I want to go through Door D!”
This is a WILD coincidence 🤯

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
It’s been four years since we’d eaten at Be Our Guest. Pre-pandemic it was our favorite counter service restaurant in all of Magic Kingdom. A must-do on every trip; sometimes twice in the same trip.

Gosh I miss BOG lunch!!

While I’d like to blame the pandemic for the demise of BOG quick service, I suspect the current prix fixe system for lunch and dinner would have occurred by now anyway. It’s much more profitable for Disney.

Anyhoo, I had talked to @Tony the Tigger and Brian the day after they’d dined at BOG. Their overall review was positive enough for me to take a chance on it.

Woody and I were seated in the worst place in the entire restaurant - at a two top against the back wall of the Ballroom. The Ballroom is incredibly noisy and chaotic.

It got even louder when the Beast made his rounds.

IMG_3675.jpeg

But he did wave to me.

IMG_3686.jpeg

Our server then arrived to welcome us. She took our drink order and came back with drinks and bread.

IMG_3688.jpeg

A runner brought our appetizers. We both ordered the potato leek soup. The soup arrived as a pâté and the broth was poured over it.

IMG_3689.jpeg

IMG_3690.jpeg

We liked the soup very much (including the potato chips,Tony.)

For our entrèes, Woody had the braised short rib and I had the filet.

IMG_2184.jpeg

Both of us were pleased with our meals. The short rib was melt-in-your-mouth delicious and the filet was cooked to perfection without any fat. Yes the meal was pricey but we felt BOG to be a better value than California Grill.

Service was also top notch.

Dessert was just enough for us. We sampled each one but did not feel the need to finish all of it.

IMG_2185.jpeg

Before leaving we visited our favorite dining room - the Rose Gallery.

IMG_2186.jpeg

We stood silent for a moment remembering all our wonderful, peaceful lunches here.

The next time we return to BOG, we will request (and wait for) a table in the Rose Gallery.

Tony the Tigger

Anyhoo, I had talked to @Tony the Tigger and Brian the day after they’d dined at BOG. Their overall review was positive enough for me to take a chance on it.
I was honestly surprised when you told me this! (And a little apprehensive lol.)
Woody and I were seated in the worst place in the entire restaurant - at a two top against the back wall of the Ballroom. The Ballroom is incredibly noisy and chaotic.
Like the Colosseum.
It got even louder when the Beast made his rounds.
You can say that again.
But he did wave to me.
He flipped me off. 😉😂
We liked the soup very much (including the potato chips,Tony.)
👍🏻👏🏻👏🏻 Brian enjoyed it as well, and it was his dish. I think the chip in my sampled spoonful was more unexpected than disliked.
For our entrèes, Woody had the braised short rib and I had the filet.
That sounds familiar!
IMG_2545.jpeg

Both of us were pleased with our meals. The short rib was melt-in-your-mouth delicious and the filet was cooked to perfection without any fat. Yes
I am so relieved to read this! I thought, “If we praised it too much, and she is disappointed with her non-Cali Grill filet, I’m going to hear about it.”

In this case, I’ll take full credit.

Well, a little credit for the chef. Most for me.
Yes the meal was pricey but we felt BOG to be a better value than California Grill.
😵 wow! As someone I consider a loyal Cali Grill gal (unless I’ve missed a story) I find that impressive.
Service was also top notch.
Same.
Dessert was just enough for us. We sampled each one but did not feel the need to finish all of it.
I would have helped finish it! 😉😉

Very glad to see this glowing review for a place that seems to take its lumps. We concur, overall! 😋

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, con’t

There was one more surprise in store for me this trip. Two, actually.

As we were waiting for the check at BOG, I opened the app and noticed that Woody and I had an unused “Multiple Experience” LL.

Apparently we had received two LLs each for our trouble at IASW. Surprise #1.

You might recall this post from Monday.
No wild ride in the wilderness today. Refurb.
View attachment 763427
1706475295940.png

BTMRR was scheduled to reopen tomorrow, the day Woody and I would be leaving for home. While disappointed we’d miss it this time, I knew I could catch a ride on my next visit.

But as I looked at attraction possibilities for our surprise LL, I saw that BTMRR had a posted wait time of 55 minutes. It had reopened early! (I later read the ride began operating at 5:45 pm.)

Woody knew none of this until I glanced up from my phone with a wide smile on my face.

“I know you’re tired, but….we have an extra LL….and Big Thunder reopened….and you know how much I love that ride in the dark….” I was so excited that I was stumbling over my words.

Naturally Woody couldn’t say no.

We tapped in at the LL entrance and the Mickey head turned green. I felt like a celebrity when a teen boy in the standby line called to me with, “Excuse me, but how did you get to be on that side?”

I’m Shirley. :cool:

IMG_2187.jpeg

Surprise #2. Riding a fave with the best hubby in the Wilderness!

IMG_2189.jpeg

I leave you now with one of my famous “artsy” pics. It was the last picture I took on this vacation.

IMG_2190.jpeg

Final thoughts to come.

93boomer

Premium Member
Saturday, con’t

There was one more surprise in store for me this trip. Two, actually.

As we were waiting for the check at BOG, I opened the app and noticed that Woody and I had an unused “Multiple Experience” LL.

Apparently we had received two LLs each for our trouble at IASW. Surprise #1.

You might recall this post from Monday.

BTMRR was scheduled to reopen tomorrow, the day Woody and I would be leaving for home. While disappointed we’d miss it this time, I knew I could catch a ride on my next visit.

But as I looked at attraction possibilities for our surprise LL, I saw that BTMRR had a posted wait time of 55 minutes. It had reopened early! (I later read the ride began operating at 5:45 pm.)

Woody knew none of this until I glanced up from my phone with a wide smile on my face.

“I know you’re tired, but….we have an extra LL….and Big Thunder reopened….and you know how much I love that ride in the dark….” I was so excited that I was stumbling over my words.

Naturally Woody couldn’t say no.

We tapped in at the LL entrance and the Mickey head turned green. I felt like a celebrity when a teen boy in the standby line called to me with, “Excuse me, but how did you get to be on that side?”

I’m Shirley. :cool:

View attachment 765495

Surprise #2. Riding a fave with the best hubby in the Wilderness!

View attachment 765496

I leave you now with one of my famous “artsy” pics. It was the last picture I took on this vacation.

View attachment 765587

Final thoughts to come.
Yayyy so glad you got on it!! I love that ride!!

sheriffwoody

Yay for BTMR reopening! That evac off small world sounds so interesting! So far we've only had two evacs, both from Pooh (in the same spot, weirdly enough). I have always been a little nervous about a boat ride evac, but sounds like it wasn't too bad. Did you see the video of the people in Paris that got off the boat? The lady stepped into the water BAREFOOT. Horrifying.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
That evac off small world sounds so interesting! I have always been a little nervous about a boat ride evac, but sounds like it wasn't too bad. Did you see the video of the people in Paris that got off the boat? The lady stepped into the water BAREFOOT. Horrifying.
The Lion King Jaw Drop GIF

What a perfect ending ride for a fantastic trip! I’m so glad we met in person and so glad you wrote this TR!!
Schitts Creek Girl GIF by CBC

k8einwdw

Did you see the video of the people in Paris that got off the boat? The lady stepped into the water BAREFOOT. Horrifying.
Our first time at Disneyland in 2016, we got evacuated from Small World. We ended up being stuck in the same spot for about 45 minutes, and were shocked when everyone else in our boat and the surrounding boats hopped out and evacuated themselves, despite the CMs’ pleas to stay in the boats. 😬

coachwnh

In the Parks
No
Finally all caught up. Glad you decided to post. It really doesn't matter how many times you are there, each trip and the trip report allows you to relive what you did. We love looking back on all of our past trips. Each one is so different. Hope to cross paths again in the future!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Finally all caught up. Glad you decided to post. It really doesn't matter how many times you are there, each trip and the trip report allows you to relive what you did. We love looking back on all of our past trips. Each one is so different. Hope to cross paths again in the future!
Appreciate your positive feedback Coach, and I agree.

Fingers crossed we see you in April!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Final Thoughts

This trip can be summed up in one word.

Jimmy Fallon Wow GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

For our fast commute down and back.
For the out-of-ordinary room issues in two of our three resorts.
For unseasonably cold weather in Central Florida.
For unexpected heavy crowds.
For Journey of Water and Luminous.
For scoring all 4 Starbucks Disney mugs in one trip.
For a water ride evacuation.
For planned - and mostly unplanned- forum friend meets and the wonderful times of hanging out together.

Thanks to everyone who followed along on the fastest trip report I’ve ever written and finished!

I’m heading “home” in the morning for a special celebration - my mother’s 85th birthday. She requested that I take her to WDW. We’ve been planning this visit for a year. My cousin JB (who surprised her at WDW on her 80th) and his wife are coming, as are my two brothers.

Let the Magic begin!

pkkurz

Final Thoughts

For planned - and mostly unplanned- forum friend meets and the wonderful times of hanging out together.

Thanks to everyone who followed along on the fastest trip report I’ve ever written and finished!

I’m heading “home” in the morning for a special celebration - my mother’s 85th birthday. She requested that I take her to WDW. We’ve been planning this visit for a year. My cousin JB (who surprised her at WDW on her 80th) and his wife are coming, as are my two brothers.

Let the Magic begin!
I’m still here (snowbird until mid April) hopefully we will have better luck in running into each other.

Laurenciaa

Final Thoughts

Let the Magic begin!
Happy Birthday to your mother @Tuvalu ! And great to see you so soon back "home"!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom