Shop in Store - Self Check Out via MyDisneyExperience

icc2515

This is great news. Those lines for checkout are stupid long. I can never figure out why it takes so long for a cast member to ring up 2 stuffed animals and a tee shirt. Oh I know, it's not the cast member causing the delay, it's the guest. How do I know this?
Well because it only takes about 30 seconds to ring me out. I have my credit card or cash in hand ready to go. None of us are really going to miss having to wait for somebody to fish their form of payment out. What, did you think that were not going to have to pay for that stuff? Seriously, you were waiting in line for 10 minutes. Did it never occur to you to take out your payment?

For all of you worrying about the shoplifting, don't. Disney will save more money in labor than what will be walking out the door. All those people who want to have somebody check them out will still have the opportunity to stand in line for a half hour so you don't have to upgrade your flip phone.

Ldno

If cast members are ringing up backpacks without checking the inside of them then they have been poorly trained. I find that hard to believe.
Like I mentioned, I think it’s crazier to do in bigger stores, but today I walked into the Mall’s Disney’s store, told them I didn’t want to bag my stuff and like a hawk you could see my kids and the cm watching us walk out with our toys in hand and the cm at the door making eye contact like they knew were coming.

I only said that because at World Disney is pure chaos in there and no one really pays attention to you. Unless the cameras point at you the moment you make a purchase. Curious to see how well they implement this.

castlecake2.0

This is great news. Those lines for checkout are stupid long. I can never figure out why it takes so long for a cast member to ring up 2 stuffed animals and a tee shirt. Oh I know, it's not the cast member causing the delay, it's the guest. How do I know this?
Well because it only takes about 30 seconds to ring me out. I have my credit card or cash in hand ready to go. None of us are really going to miss having to wait for somebody to fish their form of payment out. What, did you think that were not going to have to pay for that stuff? Seriously, you were waiting in line for 10 minutes. Did it never occur to you to take out your payment?

For all of you worrying about the shoplifting, don't. Disney will save more money in labor than what will be walking out the door. All those people who want to have somebody check them out will still have the opportunity to stand in line for a half hour so you don't have to upgrade your flip phone.
The Disney store I worked at used to have someone scheduled to walk the line for the registers at Christmas reminding people to have their payment ready, make sure everything had tags, make sure they had sizes they needed etc. On days we had that cast member our average transaction time was about 45 seconds, days we didn’t ... it’s like no one had paid for something before.

DCBaker

Premium Member
World of Disney in Disney Springs has been added to the "Shop in Store - Now Testing" option in MDE -

IMG_E0B20D4D2268-1.jpeg

IMG_12123660C863-1.jpeg

Communicora

Premium Member
As much as all of you want to complain that this will take away jobs, that is not the intention. That cast member will now be checking your bag to verify you paid for everything through the app instead of standing in front of the register taking all the time to ring it all up. No one is losing their job because of this. It’s a time saver, a line reducer and gets people in and out of their stores quicker (which is what people want nowadays).
That sounds more annoying than waiting for someone to ring you up.

DisneyNeighbor

This will spread rapidly as the cost of labor increases and the pool of qualified applicants shrink! I bet within the next few years you will see a rapid change to eliminate hourly workers from Disney to McDonald's. I'd rather have an app and other technology than see Disney hire low-quality employees.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
We did this at several stores in MK and Epcot during our Jan/Feb stay and it went very smoothly. Each time there was a CM at the door offering us a bag. They also had a tablet and I think they could see what we had purchased.

Jon81uk

All those saying about fewer cast members is bad. There already is fewer staff and they are having difficulty recruiting now. Would you rather have more staff at attractions and other places that make magic happen? I don’t need someone to scan items at a register for me. I do need someone to check I am safely secured in a rollercoaster. Or to make magic out in the walkways of the store instead of being stuck behind a desk scanning barcodes.

threvester

Didnt know where to put this but...people with older samsung phones beware.you need a os of 8.0 for it to run..if you downloaded it before the update it will still run, but if you uninstall it you cannot get it back..i have a j7 skypro purchased in 2018 and i have lost the app on that phone forever because a cm told me to uninstall and reinstall because it wasnt taking a gift card number for mobile ordering

TikibirdLand

Didnt know where to put this but...people with older samsung phones beware.you need a os of 8.0 for it to run..if you downloaded it before the update it will still run, but if you uninstall it you cannot get it back..i have a j7 skypro purchased in 2018 and i have lost the app on that phone forever because a cm told me to uninstall and reinstall because it wasnt taking a gift card number for mobile ordering
This is from a couple of years ago. But, take a look at the How-To-Geek article for getting the app to re-install.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Shop in Store has been added to the Emporium in MK and is coming to more locations soon -

Walt Disney World Resort
  • Emporium at Magic Kingdom Park – New!
  • Mickey’s of Hollywood at Disney’s Hollywood Studios – Coming soon!
  • Island Mercantile at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park – Coming soon

dreday3

Shop in Store has been added to the Emporium in MK and is coming to more locations soon -

Walt Disney World Resort
  • Emporium at Magic Kingdom Park – New!
  • Mickey’s of Hollywood at Disney’s Hollywood Studios – Coming soon!
  • Island Mercantile at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park – Coming soon

I really liked this while we were there!

Gillyanne

Does anyone know if they've enacted the purchase limits in the app? IIRC the way it works (when applicable as it's not all items) is 2 per person, but it could still be 1 transaction (so if you had 2 people, you could ring up 4 of an item in 1 purchase). When I was shopping with a friend we got multiples of an item but were able to put it all on 1 transaction in the app (but we did follow the rules and only had as many to account for 2 per person present). [this was at WOD] I don't recall, as we left, the person checking the items thoroughly enough to really count how many we had of something to how many people in the group. If it's not, I wonder if the checkers will be more thorough, or if some of the scalpers will use this to their advantage on the limits....

It could also depend on the CM doing the checking (just like parking); another time I was shopping, the CM made a comment about having "a lot" of stuff, but I had like 10 little items, so I was confused by the comment (probably didn't like having to look for each of the items)

Walt d

Oh hell no!!!
I refuse to do it at the grocery store and I will not do it in Disney where the CM’s add so much to the experience.
Sounds like corporate is tracking you, and how much you spend.. soon they will have robots cooking food, who needs cm? No thanks

DVC Ted

We used the new feature in the Creations Shop a couple weeks ago. It’s a fun idea but I’m not sure it saved us much time. The cast member painstakingly checked everything in our bag against the digital receipt. It would have been quicker if she had just checked us out. When buying just a few items, I think it would go fast. We had about 15 items so it was pretty tedious.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
We used the new feature in the Creations Shop a couple weeks ago. It’s a fun idea but I’m not sure it saved us much time. The cast member painstakingly checked everything in our bag against the digital receipt. it would have been quicker if she had just checked us out. When buying just a few items, I think it would go fast. We had about 15 items so it was pretty tedious.

That's the part that puzzles me about this. If you have CM's checking every single item that someone purchased against a receipt, then what is the savings? Anything beyond, I'd guess, 5-7 items and it becomes a time waster.

Chip Chipperson

That's the part that puzzles me about this. If you have CM's checking every single item that someone purchased against a receipt, then what is the savings? Anything beyond, I'd guess, 5-7 items and it becomes a time waster.

In theory, it's saving a little time per customer because that CM isn't ringing up each item at a register and then waiting for the customer to get their card or cash out, and then waiting for the card reader to approve the charge if using a card, and then bagging the items. It's probably not too much time per customer but it could potentially add up over the course of a day. In my case, I'm pretty sure I negated any time savings by struggling to get the hanger off the t-shirt my wife bought (because for some reason women's shirts need plastic straps on the inside?). I did enjoy not having to stand in line with 20 other groups who gave up on respecting personal space about a year ago, though.

sullyinMT

I wonder if they’ll eventually (quietly) move to random item checks? I routinely use a similar service at Sam’s Club, and the exit door greeter scans 3-4 items, regularly high priced or high demand items (TP a while back) and your digital receipt. I’m sure they still lose profit to shoplifting, but those losses are offset by far less staff in the store than there used to be (and built to to pricing to be sure).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom