Shop in Store - Self Check Out via MyDisneyExperience

tcool123

Original Poster
As I was checking for a reservation at Chef Mickeys this upcoming Sunday a new option popped up in my app. Shop in Store is the new feature, and is currently in Beta mode.

BD36B803-3C07-4462-85BC-C68950FB28DC.png

Currently this option is only available in Mouse Gear and Pop Century’s gift shop.
43F1B866-D69C-4D7D-91FB-E7253E6D4BAC.png

Unfortunately missed out in screenshotting the text explaining it, but from what I gather.

You grab a mobile check out bag, scan the barcode on your phone, pay on your phone, and show a QR code as proof to a cast member as you exit.

Seems like a way to further save costs in the long run, cut down on waits during the busy season, and honestly a great alternative to standing in some of these long lines that can form due to new COVID measures.

My apologies if a thread exists on this feature, mods please do your magic if this is a duplicate 😁

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
We've seen the Amazon stores that technology apparently auto charges when taking from shelf, so I'm curious how these scan systems know if you're scanning everything in your bag? I've had same question about self credit checkouts. I realize people have been shoplifting since beginning of retail, it just seems easier now? As these systems expand it's apparently not as much of a problem as I believe it could be.

Chip Chipperson

too complicated and time consuming to mess with on the dang phone, plus half the time their apps and tech dont work.., and how do you get your passholder discount etc? everything is becoming way too bladerunner2049.

From what I understand, the Passholder Discount is automatically applied since it is all done through the MDE app. If you don't have an AP but have a DVC or Disney Visa discount then you still need to check out with a Cast Member at a register.

dmw

In the Parks
No
We have a similar system at our local chain grocery store (Kroger). I prefer the self check out lanes instead of having to carry the device and scan. However... if this option helped avoid a long checkout line, I would definitely take advantage of it. But, it should be able to accept discounts like the Disney Visa.

giantgolfer

As much as all of you want to complain that this will take away jobs, that is not the intention. That cast member will now be checking your bag to verify you paid for everything through the app instead of standing in front of the register taking all the time to ring it all up. No one is losing their job because of this. It’s a time saver, a line reducer and gets people in and out of their stores quicker (which is what people want nowadays).

note2001

Scan and add, scan and add... seems awkward, particularly if one hasn't decided on an item and just wants to carry it around.

Disney's losses are going to skyrocket using this as thieves add small items to the bottom of their bags, only pretending to scan, and top off with a few large, legit purchases that the person checking their QR code will see and not want to fish through. (pins come to mind right away.)

If the idea is to loose employees I doubt it will happen as half the cashiers will be retained and the other half will be moved to security.

Last edited:

giantgolfer

Scan and add, scan and add... seems awkward, particularly if one hasn't decided on an item and just wants to carry it around.

Also their losses will skyrocket as thieves add small items to their bags on the bottom, only pretending to scan, and top with a few large, legit purchases that the person checking their QR code will see and not want to fish through. (pins come to mind right away)
Not seeing that now, to be honest. Thieves stash things on their person, not inside their bags especially knowing someone will look inside them.

note2001

Not seeing that now, to be honest. Thieves stash things on their person, not inside their bags especially knowing someone will look inside them.
Not very many small collectibles of value in Dicks Sporting goods are there? Disney on the other hand has a huge resale community based on them.

giantgolfer

Not very many small collectibles of value in Dicks Sporting goods are there? Disney on the other hand has a huge resale community based on them.
I hope you are kidding. Have you ever been in a DSG? There’s literally hundreds of small items on shelves everyday. Just walk in the fishing section of the store.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom