Shoes?!?!

PMC0849

Last year the shoes I wore did not work, I had the worst blisters I've ever had. What shoes do you swear by when going to WDW? Not trying to spend $200-300 either.

JenDud

Brooks and Teva are my go to’s. I have degenerative arthritis in one foot so good shoes are very critical for me. I found a different kind of Tevas for this trip and I’m very excited to try them out. They are Teva Zymics and feel incredible. I buy almost all my shoes from 6pm as you can find some really good deals.

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

For “walking show I wear Brooks, sandals are Birkenstock Mayari and Merrell Terran Post. I also take a pair of Ecco sneakers and a pair of Vans. For me, I generally end up with blisters on the sole of my feet. And because of a nerve condition, can’t feel my feet at all so huge risk for blisters. I’ve found changing my footwear at least every day or twice a day really critical for me (and good socks—love the Ecco low-cut golf socks)

Upvote 0

Phonedave

While it's great that you can get by with cheap shoes, that's really not the case for most people, especially as we age. There are countless posts on here, other theme park groups, general travel forums, and Facebook groups about people regretting their cheap footwear choices. Those regrets and pleas for better options are usually followed by a chorus of people who spent more on good shoes and had no regrets. While they come close, neither of the shoes I noted exceed $200 and bargain shoppers know that you can buy previous models at deep discounts. Sites like 6pm have Glycerin 18s and 19s marked down to the $76-105 range. At the end of the day, I'd rather spend more on my shoes and be comfortable than take the risk and potentially have to cut my park time short because I cheaped out on footwear that led to pain and possible costly medical issues.

I agree 100%. When I started running I was fitted, and also tried a bunch of different shoes. Asics Gel Kayano are what work for me. I used them as both running shoes, and walking around shoes. $40 sneakers do not last as long, nor feel as good.

Upvote 0

StantonZ

I wear plain old tennis shoes, but my secret is the socks: Apolla compression socks (they were a Shark Tank company). They are several styles, but their implementation is the same: they are "keyed" to a foot (left/right) and they have been the only thing that keeps my feet from killing me after 4 hours of walking/standing.

Upvote 0

SAV

I wear $35 Sandals and have never had an issue. My wife and kids wear flip flops and never had an issue. The one time my daughter wore actual shoes, she blistered up badly.
images

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
The cost of the shoe does not matter.
What matters is whether the shoe works with your foot.
My sister wears cheap sandals. She cannot wear sneakers because her one toe sits in top of the other toe.
Then there is me. I have to wear sneakers with tons of squish and they have to fit snug.
Someone else may need firm inserts.
Gotta find what works for you and that may be a cheap flip flop or expensive sandals, or custom made prescription inserts.

Upvote 0

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
If you wind up going for a sneaker, I'd suggest going to a running shop to get fitted. It shouldn't cost you anything extra, they'll assess you based on your needs/wear pattern/gait/etc., and you should get to try on a good 5-10 pairs of shoes. No one brand or shoe is right for everyone. Case in point, my current favorite high cushion shoe is a Brooks Glycerin 20, but my husband is all about the ASICS Gel Nimbus 25. Good shoes like this also need little to no break in period. In fact, if they're as broken in as some people think shoes should be, they'd actually be worn out. Shoes like these that are designed for distance running also tend to be more breathable, so your feet won't get as hot...although, it's important to pair them with socks that do the same and offer some cushioning and protection at common blister points. My fave socks are Balega Silver No Show and Feetures High Performance Cushion No Show.
I am Gel Nimbus 24 fan.....their best shoe since the 18 imho......but yes those are my park shoes period.....and everywhere else basically.... 🥰 I don't run much in them, but for walking all day never any issues.....which I did have prior to these.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joshsprincess921

I just switched from Brooks that I wore for years to Hokas. I tried on 4 different styles and 3 of them were terrible, but the Mach 5 are the ones I ended up getting and they are sooo comfortable. They are expensive, but worth it. For flip flops/sandals, I have and love Reef.

That being said, last year I wore the same Brooks I always wear and I still got the worse blisters of my life. Turns out it was due to my socks not the shoes. I wore nylon instead of cotton and it was just horrible. I've never put another nylon sock on my feet since. I've also bought a few pairs of Bombas which are good. I'm a firm believer that the shoes and the socks are important!

Upvote 0

LeighM

I wear shoes that are broken in pairs of my most supportive tennis shoes. I've done new Skechers when the sole is new and more cushiony and had no problems but they don't last that long and they don't support my ankles very well. I have a pair of Asics that help support my ankles and has cushioning around the heel so it's less likely to cause blisters. For rainy weather, I use Teva sandals that have an ankle strap to provide stability and traction in wet weather. But no matter what shoes you use, I suggest using really good socks because, as I've said on several similar posts about this topic, bad socks can cause blisters quicker than shoes. So take good socks and a box of BandAids for blisters because they are the best I've had for walking around with blisters on my heels.

Upvote 0

Disstevefan1

Last year the shoes I wore did not work, I had the worst blisters I've ever had. What shoes do you swear by when going to WDW? Not trying to spend $200-300 either.
My number one tip! NEVER, EVER, wear new shoes to WDW!!!

It doesn’t matter what you wear but the shoes must be “worn in” or “broken in” before you set foot in WDW.

Do NOT go for fashion, or newness here!

Select YOUR most comfortable shoes you have and maybe a backup pair of well “broken in” comfortable shoes in case of a bad rain storm so you have a dry pair.

Upvote 0

Dorothy!

In the Parks
No
I switched over to the On brand of shoes last year and I am never going back! They are lightweight, super comfortable, and they provide great support. They are a *little* pricey, running between $109 - $149, but they last forever.

Here is the style and model I bought:

Attachments

• MediumPNG-FW21CloudflowRustEclipseMSideshot_1150x.png
    MediumPNG-FW21CloudflowRustEclipseMSideshot_1150x.png
    815.8 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0

Ricky Spanish

At the flea market near me, there is a vendor that sells new Skechers, New Balance, and Saucony shoes.
$20 a pair, some of the Skechers were $10 last year.
I don’t know what “truck they fell off”, but I’m not asking.

Upvote 0

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I used to get terrible blisters, but what helped for me was not a change of shoes, but synthetic socks and friction defense stick...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom