Shoes

wendysue

I know I have seen people asking about comfortable shoes for walking in the parks on these forums before, but no matter what search I put in, everything in the world comes up EXCEPT shoes. o_O Have bad arthritis and need cushioning and arch support. Suggestions?? Thank you.

Weather_Lady

I suffer from high arches, tendinitis and plantar fasciitis. There are many great options, but FWIW, my specific go-to Disney footwear (well broken-in, of course), is:

- For pounding the pavement: any decent pair of sneakers (well-made and with real rubber soles, not that marshmallowy plastic that gets slippery when wet!), with a pair of orthotic Powerstep Protech insoles, which you can find at Amazon and at a number of retailers. (Price is $40-$50 a pair: I have two pairs that I alternate between, and they've lasted for 3 years so far with minimal wear and no odor issues.) My orthopedist recommended those insoles, and I find they offer superb arch support and heel cushioning. (I just slip them into whatever shoes I'm putting on, except for dress shoes, for which I have to buy special low-profile insoles.) I make sure that whatever casual shoes I buy have insoles that I can remove, and are sufficiently wide for the Powerstep insoles to fit in. I'm sure there are many styles of sneakers that offer proper arch support all by themselves, but using removable insoles instead gives me more options when I go to pick out shoes. I have big, wide feet, and like the freedom to choose shoes that are fashionable and cute and don't emphasize my "broad under-standing," rather than having to be tied down to "old-lady orthopedic" styles.

- For rainy days: supportive, quick-dry hiking sandals. My favorites are Teva "Tirra" ones, which are fully adjustable and have good arch support and thick rubber soles. (Not all Teva styles do, though, so check reviews for the other styles if one appeals to you).

- For short trips to the pool: My Crocs "Cleo" sandals (they look like a standard slip-on 2-strap sandal, and not a clog like the typical Croc), or Clarks "Breeze" flip-flops, take up almost no space in my suitcase, are easy to slip on and off, and have good cushioning and arch support.

- For dressing up: if we go to a nicer restaurant or I otherwise need to be able to do a lot of walking but don't want athletic-style footwear, I have a pair of Vionic "Farra" embellished leather backstrap sandals that are fully adjustable across the foot and heel, and have built-in arch support, a cushioned footbed, and a good non-slip rubber sole.

I should add that although none of the shoes/insoles/brands I've recommended are inexpensive (although I mostly bought them at significant discounts from Amazon Warehouse, eBay, or a local outlet mall), I've owned and consistently worn each of my current pairs for no less than 5 years (and some of them for well over 10 years), so they've proved to be a great investment!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NelleBelle

I have very high arches as well and severe neuropathy which used to place me in a wheelchair within a few days of all-day walking at WDW due to severe blisters I'd get on the soles of my feet and severe swelling which could lead to a bad diabetic infection. Then I figured out I had to change my shoes at least once during the day. Haven't had an issue since.

I typically start my day either wearing my Brooks Glycerin with my custom orthotics or I have a couple pair of Ecco sneakers that I really like that I can get away without using my orthotics in. Usually in the afternoon after a pool break, which I'll usually wear a pair of Merrell Terran Post, I'll switch into my Birkenstock Mayari sandals (absolutely LOVE these sandals and wear them daily here in HI). I actually bring an entire 20" suitcase full of shoes to switch into. By changing frequently, I avoid "hot spots" and my feet don't develop "hot spots", which is critical since I have zero sensation in my feet. My joints appreciate it as well, especially my lower back, which had a work-injury from patient-care years ago.

I'll just add that when looking for supportive shoes, give the shoe the "flex test"--try to flex the shoe in half. It shouldn't flex! Only at the forefoot. If it flexes in the middle, stay away! Same thing if you can twist it!. Advice from my running coach when I was doing runDisney races back-in-the-day...the life of a sneaker is about 6-mo before the rubber really starts to break down. When I was running, I changed shoes at least 2x/year. For WDW trips, I tend to buy a new pair about 5-mo before I go and start "breaking" them. Obviously I'm not doing the heavy training like I used to. But I know, for ME, I definitely have to have a new, broken-in pair of shoes for our trips.

Shoes are such a personal thing. Recommend buying from stores that will let you return shoes, even if you've worn them outside. Some specialty running stores will allow you to do this. I've had some running shoes that absolutely killed my knees, some that were too "mushy", and I wouldn't have known this until I was actually running where I actually was using the shoes. A treadmill is nice, but it doesn't always give you that real-world test. Good luck finding something that makes your feet and joints happy 😊

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
My family and friends say I have "princess and the pea" baby sensitive feet.
I can't wear flip flops, any type of heal, ballet flats, or most sandals.
I prefer wearing only sneakers.
The sneakers that I have worn at home walking 2.5 miles daily and the ones I've worn to Disney since 2016 (so 10 trips now) are the Skechers Go Walk line. They have yoga mat insoles and at the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.
I also put vapor rub on my feet each morning before heading out to the parks.
That combo has made it so my feet literally do not hurt even after several long days in a row.

Upvote 0

wendysue

Original Poster
Thank you so much for such detailed examples and the time you all took to answer my question. You have given me a lot of options which I plan on checking out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LeighM

I can second the Teva Tirra sandals! I always wear them days when rain is expected in the parks. The best tennis shoes for me have been my Asics (with cushioned heal to prevent blisters) and my cushioned Saucony. At the resort, I'll wear recovery shoes like Oofos. All broken in before the trip. One thing to not forget is the importance of good socks!! I have had socks cause more blisters than my shoes!

Upvote 0

Tee 21

I know I have seen people asking about comfortable shoes for walking in the parks on these forums before, but no matter what search I put in, everything in the world comes up EXCEPT shoes. o_O Have bad arthritis and need cushioning and arch support. Suggestions?? Thank you.
Clarks Orinoco sandals, i suffer with Arthritis as well , paid £55 I think ? They are so comfortable like walking in slippers, I bought another 2 in different colours in the sale, I’ve never felt I can’t wait to get back to get these shoes off ? Rain or shine at Disney there on my feet 😀

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

While I can't recommend any sort of orthotic aids, I would advise getting fitted by a running shop if you want to wear sneakers. My favorite is the Brooks Glycerin, but a good run shop will look at your feet, how you move, and normal wear on your existing shoes to see what's best. Side note...premium joggers require little to no break in time. In the world of good running shoes, well broken in means the premium cushioning is likely compromised. So don't overdo it on break in if you buy good joggers. A good pair of socks is also key. They should be moisture wicking while providing cushioning and protection in all of the right spots. My personal favorite is Balega Silver No-Show Compression-Fit, but Feetures High Performance Cushion No-Show are good alternative.

Upvote 0

MickeyCB

In response to all of the above posts....takes notes and goes to Amazon and starts shopping! 🤣
I didn't even ask the question the OP did, but am very interested in all of your answers, ty!

Upvote 0

wendysue

Original Poster
While I can't recommend any sort of orthotic aids, I would advise getting fitted by a running shop if you want to wear sneakers. My favorite is the Brooks Glycerin, but a good run shop will look at your feet, how you move, and normal wear on your existing shoes to see what's best. Side note...premium joggers require little to no break in time. In the world of good running shoes, well broken in means the premium cushioning is likely compromised. So don't overdo it on break in if you buy good joggers. A good pair of socks is also key. They should be moisture wicking while providing cushioning and protection in all of the right spots. My personal favorite is Balega Silver No-Show Compression-Fit, but Feetures High Performance Cushion No-Show are good alternative.
My Balega socks were just delivered. Thank you for the suggestion. I have problems with most socks and the seams rubbing across my toes with the arthritis. These feel really good and can't wait to try them out on our trip.

Upvote 0

MickeyCB

The sneakers that I have worn at home walking 2.5 miles daily and the ones I've worn to Disney since 2016 (so 10 trips now) are the Skechers Go Walk line.
Holy macaroni @Queen of the WDW Scene ! I just got a pair of the Go Walk shoes and they are SO comfortable!! Thanks for the recommendation. Now to find another pair in a different color!
Amazon owes you a commission! 😀

Upvote 0

Po'Rich

The sneakers I've been wearing are Hokas. They are very comfortable with a lot of cushion and support. I strongly recommend checking them out.

Upvote 0

wendysue

Original Poster
I don't think the Skechers feel the same as the pair I got a few years ago. Those were extremely comfortable. Lately, when I try on a pair they feel so much firmer and thinner and not cushioned like they used to be.

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
Checking these out in addition to the Sketcher’s!!
I was surprised at how many people I saw in the parks wearing Hoka shoes. I was evaluated by a pedorthist (didn't know there was such a thing) and he recommended the Hoka. Turns out I was also wearing the wrong size shoe.

Upvote 0

MickeyCB

Have to say, I’ve been curious about the Sketchers Go Walk for a while. Does Amazon’s have the best prices?
I paid $49, free shipping for the Go Walk 6 Glimmering pair I got.
They have these rubber tigger bouncy things in the middle of the bottom of the shoe.
Don't know how long they'll last but felt great walking in them yesterday.
I don't think they look super exciting, but I liked that I could just slip them on. My back hasn't been cooperating lately.

Upvote 0

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
Holy macaroni @Queen of the WDW Scene ! I just got a pair of the Go Walk shoes and they are SO comfortable!! Thanks for the recommendation. Now to find another pair in a different color!
Amazon owes you a commission! 😀

Glad you like them! I’ve been wearing Go walks almost exclusively for more than 5 years. I stand a lot at work and find them comfortable for that too.

Just a word of caution some of the styles fit a bit differently.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom