Shark Reef at Typhoon Lagoon??

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Original Poster
Hi folks, can anyone fill me in on Shark Reef?

The DD reallly wants to go to Typhoon Lagoon and Shark Reef is what she wants to see :D

What exactly is there??

janoimagine

Its a saltwater snorkeling area where you can snorkel with sharks and other aquatic life ... it's pretty cool just make sure you hit it early before too many noob's stir up the water, and it (the water) is a little chilly. Its worth doing for sure, although I know you Cruise a lot and it is nothing like the real thing in Castaway Cay. :D

Crush Dude!

Original Poster
Its a saltwater snorkeling area where you can snorkel with sharks and other aquatic life ... it's pretty cool just make sure you hit it early before too many noob's stir up the water, and it (the water) is a little chilly. Its worth doing for sure, although I know you Cruise a lot and it is nothing like the real thing in Castaway Cay. :D
Actually haven't been to CC yet so this will be a nice taster ;)

So get there early is the main thing??

Jedeye80

Get there early and don't try and dont take a water proof camera,especially one of them disposable ones where you wind it on. You will look stupid trying to wind it on while paddling and trying not to sink, like I did. My wife said I looked a right tool trying to swim using my elbows. The shark reef is great, doesn't take long but at least when you have done it you can say you have swam with sharks.

Crush Dude!

Original Poster
Get there early and don't try and dont take a water proof camera,especially one of them disposable ones where you wind it on. You will look stupid trying to wind it on while paddling and trying not to sink, like I did. My wife said I looked a right tool trying to swim using my elbows. The shark reef is great, doesn't take long but at least when you have done it you can say you have swam with sharks.
Nice thanks for the tip;)

Sounds like a nice little experience :)

Crush Dude!

Original Poster
Cheers, I took 3 pics then gave up before I started sinking and panicking, I was told not to do that incase we got the sharks excited, so 3 pics is all I got and you can't see a thing on them. It's great though, you will all love it.
Thanks again man ;)

durangojim

The shark reef is one of the very coolest things about typhoon lagoon. We haven't been there in years, but always loved it when we did. It's almost like a Disney thrill ride -- just the right amount of fear and excitement, yet completely safe. Have fun!

Crush Dude!

Original Poster
The shark reef is one of the very coolest things about typhoon lagoon. We haven't been there in years, but always loved it when we did. It's almost like a Disney thrill ride -- just the right amount of fear and excitement, yet completely safe. Have fun!
Great thanks Jim ;)

ishmael0316

It is definitely the highlight of Typhoon Lagoon. We took my DS9, who's favorite animal is sharks, and he enjoyed it immensely. The water was really cold and get there early like everyone else said. Enjoy!

jaques21

Ahh the shark reef:rolleyes: 1. you better know how to swim you cannot walk across it. 2. the water is freezing! 3. If i remember right CM said no splashing. Reason I remember this is my whole family went once and my mother nearly drown my older sister (mother doesn't know how to swim) CM saved them. I swam fast across cause it was so cold and didn't even realized what happened till everyone had passed through. It was cool to see the sharks though. Ahh the shark reef:rolleyes:

PennyInPink

It's very possible to take great photos with a waterproof disposable camera. They key is to relax and think it more of controled floating. Youcan only go straight accross, no doubling back or going side to side. So, float nice and easy, use your flippers go move slowly, but go SLOW! The fish (there's more than just sharks) won't be scared, you can see more, and get great pics to remember!

lazyboy97o

I too must add in my praise for the shark reef. It is a quick experience, they want you to keep moving, and not nearly as grand as true ocean snorkeling, but a lot of fun. Especially for people who may not be as strong swimmers to where their being out in the ocean would be as safe.

pixiesteno

Although I have not been to TL, I did go snorkling in the caribbean. Like previously mentioned, relaxing is very important. Also do not try to use your arms in the process, just use your fins it is so much easier that way; also less splashing involved.

Crush Dude!

Original Poster
It's very possible to take great photos with a waterproof disposable camera. They key is to relax and think it more of controled floating. Youcan only go straight accross, no doubling back or going side to side. So, float nice and easy, use your flippers go move slowly, but go SLOW! The fish (there's more than just sharks) won't be scared, you can see more, and get great pics to remember!
Good tips thanks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom