Shark Reef at Typhoon Lagoon??

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Original Poster
Ahh the shark reef:rolleyes: 1. you better know how to swim you cannot walk across it. 2. the water is freezing! 3. If i remember right CM said no splashing. Reason I remember this is my whole family went once and my mother nearly drown my older sister (mother doesn't know how to swim) CM saved them. I swam fast across cause it was so cold and didn't even realized what happened till everyone had passed through. It was cool to see the sharks though. Ahh the shark reef:rolleyes:
Good times :D

The Empress Lilly

Shark's Reef has an underwater viewing area if you don't want to swim in the cold water.
Now that's a good tip.

You can first check the place out from the ship, without swimming or even getting wet. You can also use this viewing area to get some pictures of your family swimming - from underneath! Well through a porthole so not great quality.

Me, I adore Shark Reef! It's short and I always squall like a little piggy over the water being so cold. But what a fun little thing to do it is!

Crush Dude!

Original Poster
Now that's a good tip.

You can first check the place out from the ship, without swimming or even getting wet. You can also use this viewing area to get some pictures of your family swimming - from underneath! Well through a porthole so not great quality.

Me, I adore Shark Reef! It's short and I always squall like a little piggy over the water being so cold. But what a fun little thing to do it is!
More great info guys ;)

I just watched a few cool You Tube videos that you might want to show your daughter before you go. I've done it a few times (last time in March 2012) and I think I saw more fish on the videos than I did when I actually experienced it. I'm not a "natural" when it comes to snorkeling, so I was more concerned with the breathing and hoping that water wouldn't get into my mask than looking at the fish! If your daughter hasn't snorkeled before, I would suggest getting a cheap snorkel and mask to practice at a pool before the Shark Reef. You aren't given fins, but it's not a long distance to swim. Every time I've done it, I have stopped at the rock about two-thirds of the way to the end to "rest." Our routine has been to get there at opening, do Crushin Gusher a few times, then do the shark reef. We've never waited more than 10 minutes. I've never checked the lines later in the day.

Raven66

My husband and I loved Shark Reef, my daughter refused to do it but she was only 5 then. She would probably do it now, but we haven't been back to TL in years. I got lots of cool pictures in the water. I was bummed that we couldn't got backwards, so I just went again. :)

Jeff456

One of my favourite things to do, we'll be missing it this year as we are doing BB, just hoping the grand reef and DC will make up for it!

dreamfinder

I seem to recall the number of fish and sharks going down as the years went on. I also don't recall seeing nearly as many rays as they used to have. But it's fun. You get in, and slowly swim across looking down at the sea life. You should be a reasonably good swimmer to make it all the way across. (A session or two of YMCA swim class is more than sufficient) If your DD has never snorkeled before, definitely get a set and practice at home first. The first time you put the mask on and go face first in the water can freak some people out if they aren't used to it.

Sharkreef11

Hey Crush! Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. We love sharkreef hence my screen name. ;) It's a pretty cool experience and something that I would recommend. Over the years of going we have noticed some children freak out right before they go in, not because of the sea life, but because they are worried about sinking. You aren't allowed to paddle your feet and have to rely on floating across basically and only using your hands. Being a good swimmer is very important. Even for me the first couple of times I found myself kicking my feet because I wasn't used to swimming like that. It's just a little different but when you get going it is so cool seeing all the sea life down below!

Crush Dude!

Original Poster
Hey Crush! Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. We love sharkreef hence my screen name. ;) It's a pretty cool experience and something that I would recommend. Over the years of going we have noticed some children freak out right before they go in, not because of the sea life, but because they are worried about sinking. You aren't allowed to paddle your feet and have to rely on floating across basically and only using your hands. Being a good swimmer is very important. Even for me the first couple of times I found myself kicking my feet because I wasn't used to swimming like that. It's just a little different but when you get going it is so cool seeing all the sea life down below!
Thanks for the insight ;)
I was wondering when you would see this thread :D

Beholder

I have an almost pathological fear of oceans and pretty much any body of water that contains animals big enough to consume me. That being said, I did the Shark Reef and I loved it! However, the water was so cold and it was such a shock that Jaws I, II, and III could've been in there and would have killed THEM getting across the lagoon out of the freezing (72 degrees I think) water!

And I think the reason they ask you not to paddle your feet is so you won't accidentally knock off someone's mask.

It's great though, do try it.

Sharkreef11

Thanks for the insight ;)
I was wondering when you would see this thread :D

Haha. Yeah I was off from work yesterday and was slammed with stuff when I got in today, so I am just now getting caught back up on what has been going on. :D Sharkreef/ Typhoon Lagoon is where to go though. I'm really bummed becuase Typhoon Lagoon closes one day after we get there in October and and we can't go that day. :( Haven't been to Blizzard Beach in years so we shall give that another go. Summit Plummet here I come!

Crush Dude!

Original Poster
Haha. Yeah I was off from work yesterday and was slammed with stuff when I got in today, so I am just now getting caught back up on what has been going on. :D Sharkreef/ Typhoon Lagoon is where to go though. I'm really bummed becuase Typhoon Lagoon closes one day after we get there in October and and we can't go that day. :( Haven't been to Blizzard Beach in years so we shall give that another go. Summit Plummet here I come!
Yeah i was pn overtime here yesterday to make up for Hatter being gone :D

Chrononymous

I remember the one and only time we did it, I was having issues with the mask, and after getting too much water in my nose, I started to freak out.

So I just sat at the edge and let my husband float across instead.

There was no one there as we were there first thing, so they let me just hang out on the ledge...

and these GIANT enormous and very curious fish came right up to me to check me out, and bump against my feet.
They let me pet them...it was so very cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom