Shadow laid off at Hilton Head Resort

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney makes changes to their entertainment offerings all the time. Was it a "cut" when the British Revolution replaced the British Invasion at Epcot? The anomaly is not a performer losing his contract after 20 years, the anomaly is a performer having a contract for 20 years in the first place.
When the replacements suck? Yes it is low rent.
Disney isn't saving any money here. DHHIR is a sold out, 100% DVC property. The "savings," such as they are, are borne by the owners.
Disney makes the money off people attending the place over and over again…and then going to the “holy of holies” with their points in Orlando…

…please tell me you’re not one of these Nuevo analysts that thinks they “make money” off the point sales? Nah…can’t be.

so the little touches do…in the end…make the profits they seek. Longterm

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
When the replacements suck? Yes it is low rent.

Disney makes the money off people attending the place over and over again…and then going to the “holy of holies” with their points in Orlando…

…please tell me you’re not one of these Nuevo analysts that thinks they “make money” off the point sales? Nah…can’t be.

so the little touches do…in the end…make the profits they seek. Longterm
The operating expenses for DHHIR are paid by DHHIR owners regardless of whether those owners use their points to stay at DHHIR, Aulani, Old Key West, a Disney cruise, an RCI exchange, or if the points just expire.

That said, I'll miss the dog if he isn't replaced. I will not miss the B'lou fellow. He made me uncomfortable.

correcaminos

The operating expenses for DHHIR are paid by DHHIR owners regardless of whether those owners use their points to stay at DHHIR, Aulani, Old Key West, a Disney cruise, an RCI exchange, or if the points just expire.

That said, I'll miss the dog if he isn't replaced. I will not miss the B'lou fellow. He made me uncomfortable.
You're not the only one who has said that. To the point where I wonder if there was more to this story.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

The profits are the out of pocket expenditures…it has nothing to do with the points or dues. I had it under decent authority long ago.

that was my point. It would be unwise to take minor stuff out of an aging, detached location.

correcaminos

I never felt that he was inappropriate, if that's what you're implying. I just don't enjoy small talk with strangers and I got trapped in a too-long conversation with him a few times.
Gotcha. Personally I never met the guy so I cannot give my feelings. But yes, not all had positive experiences with him which makes me wonder. Not all DVC heavy groups are as outraged and I kind of get why.

Budd

But yes, not all had positive experiences with him which makes me wonder.
It doesn't seem like there were any "bad" encounters, but rather some people don't necessarily care for the In Your Face friendly, talkative entertainers. He kinda reminds me of Maynard out west at DLR. He is also a beloved CM by most who are fortunate enough to see him. Though there are a few who would be put off by his character and find him annoying. When dealing with the public, you have to learn to tell how far the stick is implanted up some people's you-know-where. You can usually tell by their face that they want no part of it, and to keep things low key and move on quickly. Others are harder to read.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Nope. I don’t expect anything to happen. People were really mad when Off Kilter was let go and they never reversed their decision.
Right but they've had TradNation and Alberta Bound on the stage since then. A permanent cut would be a much different decision than a change in the particular performer to someone or something new.

correcaminos

It doesn't seem like there were any "bad" encounters, but rather some people don't necessarily care for the In Your Face friendly, talkative entertainers. He kinda reminds me of Maynard out west at DLR. He is also a beloved CM by most who are fortunate enough to see him. Though there are a few who would be put off by his character and find him annoying. When dealing with the public, you have to learn to tell how far the stick is implanted up some people's you-know-where. You can usually tell by their face that they want no part of it, and to keep things low key and move on quickly. Others are harder to read.
I don't think the people would agree with you that I'm talking about. While they are not my stories to share, don't diminish their stories of inappropriate interactions with ones that are not the same.

matt9112

I'd have to agree, I'm not defending Disney but without knowing the whole story, which respectfully to everyone involved, I can't even think this was on anyones radar except for internal management at Hilton Head. I really don't think Josh or Bob or anyone in Burbank are wondering how much the dog and entertainer are costing them.

I wish i could agree but the more stories like this that pop up makes me think its legitimately people combing through expenses looking for things. Sure its not bob directly but its somebody he told to cut costs. Low level management generally always perfers the best guest experience because they see and feel the product they offer.

MagicHappens1971

I wish i could agree but the more stories like this that pop up makes me think its legitimately people combing through expenses looking for things. Sure its not bob directly but its somebody he told to cut costs. Low level management generally always perfers the best guest experience because they see and feel the product they offer.
I was more speaking in hyperbole, but as you said most lower level managers (in a company as large as Disney) like the GM of Hilton Head, I can’t imagine that this is something they’d want to cut. And like yes I’m sure that there are mandates to cut costs, but I can’t imagine this this costs so so much and I’m sure little cuts here and there could cover the cost + the cost of guest satisfaction. Just my opinion

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Right but they've had TradNation and Alberta Bound on the stage since then. A permanent cut would be a much different decision than a change in the particular performer to someone or something new.
I’ve heard they have Pluto greeting there now, not sure if that’s the replacement or if that’s always been there as well as shadow. I’m really upset shadow is gone, she added so much to the resort, but I don’t think they’re going to change their minds

Thelazer

Disney isn't changing it's mind. Look, they let the face of AK (JR himself) walk away.
Why would you think Disney cares about any "face" of any resort / themepark these days.

They don't, they don't need a "Face" they need your money. That's all.

lazyboy97o

Disney isn't changing it's mind. Look, they let the face of AK (JR himself) walk away.
Why would you think Disney cares about any "face" of any resort / themepark these days.

They don't, they don't need a "Face" they need your money. That's all.
Except for TheZach. That’s the face they have to have.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I’ve heard they have Pluto greeting there now, not sure if that’s the replacement or if that’s always been there as well as shadow. I’m really upset shadow is gone, she added so much to the resort, but I don’t think they’re going to change their minds
I'm not privileged to the timeshare accounting, but I don't think Disney is even saving any money here. I think the HHI DVC owners bear the cost of entertainment at the resort. That tells me it's something other than money, possibly as @helenabear alluded to.

peter11435

Pluto has been a common visitor to the resort for many years

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom