Shades of Green Resort

Terry Gould

Original Poster
We are going on our first ever Disney trip this summer and we are going to stay at Shades of Green Resort. I would like to know if that is I good resort or should I take my family to a different one. Thanks for any help.

Michael Shiels

Welcome to the Site! First thing to think about is are you military? If so, the discounts offered for SoG can save you a large sum of money while enjoying a very nice resort. I know many people here have mentioned SoG on other posts and I have always heard good reviews.

Perhaps one thing to think about is to define exactly what expectations you have currently with your trip and then start there. Since this is your first trip to WDW, you may need to do some research about each park, dining options, other resorts, transportation, and some insider tricks/tips to really enhance your vacation. This site is a great resource and can really benefit your planning.

Good luck and let the countdown to the magic begin!

Tinkerbell397

We stayed at SOG in 2007 and it was wonderful. The rooms are large compared to value and moderates Disney Resorts. You won't get the Disney "theming" but if I remember, there is a large Mickey in the lobby to welcome you home every night. We requested a room close to the lobby and our request was granted. SOG is across the street from the Poly....now that being said, I do not mean that it is like the house across the street. You have to go out the main doors, down long walkway (slightly downhill...so slightly uphill on the way back) and cross the road to the Poly. I do remember that there was a golf cart that was available to pick up guests to bring them to the road to the Poly. At the Poly, you can access the monorail to the MK, other monorail resorts and the TTC. We enjoyed our stay at SOG...it is definitely a money safer. Not sure about bus transportation...someone lee might be able to give you some information on that. If you want the true "Disney Feel", I would look into other resorts, but we enjoyed the quiet at the SOG. You can go on YouTube and search SOG....there are several your videos. Have a Magical Trip! :cat:

slappy magoo

Even if you were able to get a military discount at a different resort, chances are the rooms wouldn't be as big as what you'll get at SoG, and at SoG it'll probably be cheaper. So the big issue would probably be one of "themeing" (or is it theming? Or is it a made up word, neither is right according to my spell check). SoG by all accounts is an incredibly nice and well-maintained resort, as you'd expect a resort owned by the DoD to be. But it doesn't scream Disney-style whimsy either, so then it becomes a question of, do you want to go all-in on Disney style whimsy, and if so are you OK to spend the extra money for it? There may be promotional offers for the time you want to go that makes it more affordable, but I'd still be surprised if those rates are better than SoG rates.

As Tinkerbell397 points out, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from visiting other resort, making reservations for meals or just looking around. You can use Disney transportation to do so by walking over to the TTC. Or if you have your own car, you can visit them completely at your leisure. And maybe find the hotel you'de like to stay at the next time you visit.

BrittanyRose428

I always stay at Shades of Green when I go with my family. I agree with everything above so far-- the rooms are much larger than the rooms in other Disney hotels that would be comparable in price. The bus transportation isn't bad, but from what I remember they bring you to the Transportation and Ticket Center rather than directly to the parks (correct me if I'm wrong someone, it's been a few years since I've stayed there.) If that is still the cae, just know that it will take you a tiny bit longer to reach the parks because you'll have to board another bus/monorail/ferry. My favorite thing about Shades of Green is the location. For that price, that is the cheapest hotel that will be that close to the Magic Kingdom. We have a lot of meals at monorail resorts as well, so the ability to walk to the Polynesian is nice too. The restaurants at Shades of Green are good too, but the only one I ever usually eat at is Evergreens if we're sitting by the pool (it's basically bar food,) for dinners we usually go elsewhere. The grounds are really beautiful at Shades of Green too. The only downside is really the lack of Disney theming. There is the Mickey statue in the lobby, and the gift shop sells Disney things obviously, but that is about all you're going to get. If you want to be surrounded by Disney for your entire trip you may want to consider another hotel, but in my opinion, that would mean sacrificing the larger rooms and convenient location to spend the same amount of money elsewhere.

CheshireCat12

Stayed at SoG about 6 years ago. At that time, buses ran every 20 min. or so to the different parks. Easy access to the Poly. I was impressed by how quiet it is there. Also, they had a convenient QS coffee shop down by the bus pickup that was great for breakfast on the way out. No, there are no overt Disney character decorations but the rooms were good sized and the breakfast buffet at the restaurant (name?) was very good too. If you want a great hotel at a Value price, stay at SoG! (not sure if they do EMH though)

zurgandfriend

I'm retired Army and have stayed at SOG in the past, we don't now for a number of reasons, but I digress. It is a wonderful resort and as others have stated you can dine and visit any rsort wherever you like. Also as stated you pay by pay grade so I say go for it and enjoy.

WDW 3

It is a great resort. We actually enjoy getting back at the end of the day to Shades and the lack of Disney overload. It's peaceful and relaxing. Huge rooms. Awesome price.

Just returned from SOG on Tuesday. We visit 2 x's/year. Travel with my parents (in their 60's). My husband and I (41 and 38) and our 3 year old daughter. We love the resort brand new awesome pool! Transportation is great to the parks. We take the walk to the poly for MK and Epcot for the minorail. - 10 minute walk. They have buses to AK and HS. It is a beautiful and quiet resort. The rooms are spacious and are the size of GF/contemporary/poly. You really can't beat the value. The biggest challenge for us, we fly and need to have a car service take us to the resort from the airport. We have used Happy Limo each time and they have been great and reliable. You can get discounted tickets a SOG. Also, if you can get the resort special with breakfast included, the breakfast is dynamite! You can't go wrong with SOG. Great option for active and retired military families!

We have stayed their twice over the last 6 years and will be staying again in 2 weeks. I highly recommend this hotel. As others have indicated it is a very nice resort, with its own bus transportation to all the resorts and downtown Disney, and you can walk to the Poly for the monorail. Plus they recently refurbished their one pool area that is supposed to be really nice now. Can't wait to get there with the family in a few weeks.

a2grafix

I have stayed at Shades of Green numerous times since 2007 and each time I have had a blast. Shades is military and caters to the military. As well Shades has a great relationship with Disney and Disney provides discounted military park hopper tickets. You can purchase at Shades reduced rate tickets to Universal Florida, and $10 roundtrip daily van rides to Universal and Sea World.

I echo everything everyone has said so far on this thread about Shades. Room rates are based on pay grade, there is no tax, there is a remodeled Exchange store with a Class Six inside for your essentials, a free computer room with current video consoles for the kids, and a decent selection of restaurants / quick service options.

As well, if you visit Shades you might be treated to a military-only party in the lobby. Just so happens when I visited Shades baked huge cakes for the National Guard birthday in December, and the Marines' birthday and Veterans Day in November.

The Shades of Green has the look and feel like an Air Force Inn and if you go at certain times of the year the resort might have half off of 33-percent off room rates. The breakfast buffet at the Garden Gallery is also very plentiful. It's also next door to the Palm and Magnolia golf courses and they offer military-reduced rates at certain times.

The only downside is that you have to secure transportation to and from the airport and can't use the Disney Magical Express buses. I suggest Mears, which is $35 roundtrip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom