SF Magic Mountain gets a new President.

Phroobar

So will Secret Life of Pets be put where the old Phantom of the Opera soundstage was at USH? I guess that means Nintendoland replaces the Mummy and demoed sound stages around it. Any word on Potter 2?

Rich T

But Sol Spin is not working out. The Sky Cabin and Xcelerator will reopen before summer.
What's the deal with Sol Spin? Reliability issues?

And will Universal Hollywood really have Nintendo by 2019? Any word on whether they'll be able to fit all 3 of the Orlando rides in there?

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
First is Knott's and Sol Spin. Yes, the relatability of the ride is not meeting the manufactures claims, and negotiations are ongoing. Knott's wants a replacement.

As for USH, Pets is going in the former Phantom Sound Stage area.

Mummy might stay, but yes, the area around it is planned for Nintendo, but not sure which rides will be built. But it is the marketing plan to compete with Galaxy Edge opening.

As for a Potter Expansion, they are looking at it, but are happy with the numbers they are getting now. Pie in the sky plans have a platform built over the current tram loading station, relocating the tram maintenance barn, and other eastern expansion next to CityWalk. My guess, they will get serious for 2020 or a year or two later. It will come with new hotel(s) construction to help justify the costs.

Stevek

When was this? Last time I was there, it looked clean, saw three staff members cleaning the dining area (busy day).

Is the décor a bit outdated, yes. All the Food service areas have been upgraded in the last 3 years. They have made major changes to the Sports Bar (Former Mooseburger Lodge) and Ace 'O Clubs. I presume that Food, Etc. is line for an update in the near future.
Have the cleaned up all the junk/trash under both Ninja and Jet Stream. I didn't find the rest of the park to be in need of major upkeep or cleaning but some of the older rides, like those mentioned above, are in need of some work.

TP2000

The problem with adding a day at Magic Mountain to a SoCal vacation is that it is on the far northern edge of Los Angeles County, and to get there you have to drive the maddeningly decaying LA County freeway system which can take several hours from Orange County's far better maintained (and widened) freeways. It's a nightmare of traffic and it can make for a long, trying experience to get there.

Also, every surface you touch at Magic Mountain is sticky. It's not appealing.

Ismael Flores

Knott's is still debating what to do in 2019.

They have a major coaster opening this year.

They know that Galaxy Edge is opening, SFMM is get a big roller coaster, and Universal is getting the World of Nintendo in 2019, plus the recent opening of The Secret Life of Pets Dark Ride.

So what to do? The Coaster World will be focusing on SoCal in June of 2019, and Knott's is one of the host parks (SFMM is the other).

So one thought is yet another Roller Coaster, to better compete with SFMM in the Long Term. Cedar Fair has a good deal for VR Theater attractions, and that is a possibility (more of a family attraction).

But Sol Spin is not working out. The Sky Cabin and Xcelerator will reopen before summer.

Space is limited, but with the Fire Station relocating on the Western Lot (The new Station is almost complete on the outside.), there is an option to build the loading station inside the park, and have the majority of the attraction built on the Western Lot, somewhat similar to how they built GhostRider.

They can also go farther to the backstage area on the south end, and shift facilities to the parking lot next to the Hotel and/or the Western Lot.

Knott's already has architectural plans for a Parking Structure on the east side of Beach Blvd. next to Soak City, but hasn't decided when to do it. But prepared for the future.

With Matt Ouimet's decision to "slow down" and allow others to make decisions, 2019 is still in limbo, but they know that Families are a significant part of their business, and is using the Peanuts brand more chain wide.

went to knott's last month and actually enjoyed it so decided to buy the season pass. found it a bit more casual then Disneyland and enjoyed some of their rides.

They do need to add a bit more or expand the park though, it seemed like i passed thru the same area over a dozen times since the park is so small.

One area that i found lacking from what it used to be before coasters is more family style rides that do not involved being spinned around. The whole boardwalk area really needs to be rethought its amazing that they decided to put a couple spinners and a mouse coaster in such a huge space of land in a park that is so limited. The mouse coaster is fine but those two spinners surrounded by the old water drop pool looks so out of place. They can easily add two nice indoor darkrides or themed coasters in that section.

the rapids also probably needs to be looked at and either removed or retrofit so that the park can expand that way.

I was actually amazed to see how much land they really do have available though.
By the looks of it bad planning and major roads around the main park have created quite the jumbled mess out of the park. The parking structure would do wonders for them and allow them to relocate some of the parking stalls to expand the park. It also wouldn't hurt if they actually had parking stalls marked in the western and northern lots. seems like everyone just parks where they want on those grassy areas filling up the parking lot faster then it should

Last edited:

Rich T

...The whole boardwalk area really needs to be rethought its amazing that they decided to put a couple spinners and a mouse coaster in such a huge space of land in a park that is so limited. The mouse coaster is fine but those two spinners surrounded by the old water drop pool looks so out of place. They can easily add two nice indoor darkrides or themed coasters in that section.
That area used to be dominated by the Perilous Plunge Splashdown ride, and it definitely looks like they replaced it with a quick fill-in concept. The new 2018 coaster, Hangtime, looks like it'll be a great addition to that area, but I think the 2 flats and the Wild Mouse are pretty much place-holders waiting for a bigger project to take their place in the near future.

Phroobar

That area used to be dominated by the Perilous Plunge Splashdown ride, and it definitely looks like they replaced it with a quick fill-in concept. The new 2018 coaster, Hangtime, looks like it'll be a great addition to that area, but I think the 2 flats and the Wild Mouse are pretty much place-holders waiting for a bigger project to take their place in the near future.
I understand that Big Foot Rapids at Knotts will be getting some TLC soon. Hopefully they turn the waterfall back on.

DLR92

First is Knott's and Sol Spin. Yes, the relatability of the ride is not meeting the manufactures claims, and negotiations are ongoing. Knott's wants a replacement.

As for USH, Pets is going in the former Phantom Sound Stage area.

Mummy might stay, but yes, the area around it is planned for Nintendo, but not sure which rides will be built. But it is the marketing plan to compete with Galaxy Edge opening.

As for a Potter Expansion, they are looking at it, but are happy with the numbers they are getting now. Pie in the sky plans have a platform built over the current tram loading station, relocating the tram maintenance barn, and other eastern expansion next to CityWalk. My guess, they will get serious for 2020 or a year or two later. It will come with new hotel(s) construction to help justify the costs.

It an awesome time for Universal! I'm pretty sad Universal Japan get an exclusive Sailor Moon attraction. :cry:

Ismael Flores

It an awesome time for Universal! I'm pretty sad Universal Japan get an exclusive Sailor Moon attraction. :cry:
i havent been to universal Japan but went to Singapore universal and enjoyed it. I was surprised though that they built the park on Sentosa Island, they really landlocked themselves there. Speaking of universal Singapore has anyone seen the ride they built called Treasure hunters? not exactly sure what they were thinking, that has to be the worst ride ever made by a theme park. throughout the ride you are just waiting for something to happen and justify setting foot in the queue. what a waste of space and money and so many bad sitelines.
speaking of Sentosa Island, anyone visiting should defininately go to the aquarium there. I actually enjoyed it even more than Universal. It looks small but its a huge facility with a very impressive main Aquarium with Giant Manta rays and sharks

Last edited:

Phroobar

i havent been to universal Japan but went to Singapore universal and enjoyed it. I was surprised though that they built the park on Sentosa Island, they really landlocked themselves there. Speaking of universal Singapore has anyone seen the ride they built called Treasure hunters? not exactly sure what they were thinking, that has to be the worst ride ever made by a theme park. throughout the ride you are just waiting for something to happen and justify setting foot in the queue. what a waste of space and money and so many bad sitelines.
speaking of Sentosa Island, anyone visiting should defininately go to the aquarium there. I actually enjoyed it even more than Universal. It looks small but its a huge facility with a very impressive main Aquarium with Giant Manta rays and sharks
At least Treasure Hunters had something to look at in your little car. Sea World's submarine ride doesn't have anything except being up high.

dweezil78

They know that Galaxy Edge is opening, SFMM is get a big roller coaster, and Universal is getting the World of Nintendo in 2019, plus the recent opening of The Secret Life of Pets Dark Ride.

Are you saying Nintendo and Pets will be be open at USH by 2019? If so, that seems rather ambitious given they haven't broken ground yet on either, right? Also, last I heard was that Pets had been shelved. Are you hearing otherwise?

DLR92

The problem with adding a day at Magic Mountain to a SoCal vacation is that it is on the far northern edge of Los Angeles County, and to get there you have to drive the maddeningly decaying LA County freeway system which can take several hours from Orange County's far better maintained (and widened) freeways. It's a nightmare of traffic and it can make for a long, trying experience to get there.

Also, every surface you touch at Magic Mountain is sticky. It's not appealing.

The 5 freeway is such a mess. I can't wait till Orange County segment is all done with the renovation and expansion of the freeway. Cause it still a mess! Don't get me started with Santa Clarita portion of the 5 freeway, there have been signs of expansion of progress of going on...but I don't see ANY changes or progress happening. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Are you saying Nintendo and Pets will be be open at USH by 2019? If so, that seems rather ambitious given they haven't broken ground yet on either, right? Also, last I heard was that Pets had been shelved. Are you hearing otherwise?

I am saying what I have heard from some insiders, nothing more. I have better sources for some chains than others. No guarantees, as always.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
The 5 freeway is such a mess. I can't wait till Orange County segment is all done with the renovation and expansion of the freeway. Cause it still a mess! Don't get me started with Santa Clarita portion of the 5 freeway, there have been signs of expansion of progress of going on...but I don't see ANY changes or progress happening. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

95% of the Orange County work on the I-5 is done, the last segment is in San Clemente and is bad.

The next big Orange County freeway project is the expansion of the 405, adding a regular lane, and a toll lane.

The I-5 in Los Angeles County is a mess in general, the current two areas are the southern portion from Santa Fe Springs to the Orange County border, and the northern project from Burbank to Castaic.

I have seen progress in both projects, but sometimes it seems like forever. They have to do it in phases, to prevent freeway closures.

dweezil78

I am saying what I have heard from some insiders, nothing more. I have better sources for some chains than others. No guarantees, as always.

Gotcha... Yeah, I'd bet my entire savings that we won't be seeing Nintendo hit USH until 2021 at the earliest. It took them about 3 years to get Potter done (started in '13, opened in '16) -- and that was with a proper announcement in 2011. Pets hasn't been talked about in a long time now, the movie's been forgotten about, and most sources in the know say the plans were scrapped last year with replacement still TBD.

Travel Junkie

No way USH gets Nintendo in 2019. Japan is getting Nintendo first. It's under construction and isn't due to open until 2020. USO and USH haven't even broken ground yet. Probably looking at 2021 at least for Super Nintendo World at USH.

Phroobar

Has the warehouse next to transformers at USH broken ground yet? In October it was a parking lot. Too bad they didn't give tours of the Phantom of the Opera sound stage before demoing it.

choco choco

Space is limited, but with the Fire Station relocating on the Western Lot (The new Station is almost complete on the outside.), there is an option to build the loading station inside the park, and have the majority of the attraction built on the Western Lot, somewhat similar to how they built GhostRider.

Interesting. Ghostrider crosses a small street that is hardly a public throughfare, trying to cross the behemoth Western Avenue has got to have some serious complications. Will they allow riders to be going over the heads of drivers and buses and bikers that speed down that street? What are the options for going under the street, which is more expensive but sounds safer for everyone involved?

What's going on with the school west of the Western Lot? I recall they were supposed to close that down a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure if they did or not. Could Knott's take hold of that land?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom